1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preseason Philosophy

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tirty8, Aug 6, 2022.

1. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I have been a Phins fan for a long time, and I have been through several changing of the guards and new beginnings. My general philosophy has always been for them to really make the most out of the preseason and to let key players spend extended time in the preseason learning the new system against real opponents. But for the first time, my philosophy has changed.

I think that this is easily the most talented team that I have seen Miami have in the last 20+ years. I also think that we have a lot of "known commodities" on this roster that I do not envision getting significantly better or worse by the start of the season. I really think that we are in a unique situation where our talent can compensate for lack of familiarity.

The one concern that I do have with this roster is its history with injuries, and a 17 game season does compound that problem. Although I am excited to see this team, I really do think that this is a situation of good things coming to those who wait.

Here are some players that I do not think that we need to see a whole lot of:

Armstead - He is one of the best LT in the game. He is old-ish and has missed games recently. We have been really good in limiting him in practice. I seriously would not play him at all in the preseason.

Waddle - I consider him a known commodity. Tua feels comfortable with him. I would play him for a half or so in the dress rehearsal.

Hill - He is new to the team, but he is a bonafide star. I would play him a half or so in the dress rehearsal.

Mostert - He is coming off of a more significant injury and struggled to stay healthy last year. Let's focus on getting him ready for the opener. I would not play him at all in the preseason.

Edmonds - He misses games from time to time and is a solid player when healthy. Keeping him healthy would be a top priority. I would give him some snaps in the in the dress rehearsal because I do see him being a big part of our offense.

Michel - He is a veteran and a known commodity. I am not sure that he is a lock to make the roster, so getting him some touches make some sense.

Tua - I would give him about a half for the dress rehearsal. His injury history scares me.

Bridgewater - He is a pro's pro. We signed him because he may need to start some games if Tua does miss games. I would give him very limited snaps. I am confident that he is a guy who can just go on the field and play.

Ogbah, Wilkins, Davis, Seiler - This is such a great unit that really could take us to the next level. Get them in for a little less than a half in the dress rehearsal.

Ingram - A vet who probably needs some snaps with the ones in the dress rehearsal and that's about it.

Phillips - He has had concussion problems in college. He is a younger guy who really are relying on to take his game to the next level. He is a dress rehearsal guy. Maybe a series or two in the first game.

Baker - A known commodity. I would play him only in the dress rehearsal game.

Howard - Nope, not a single snap. See ya in week one.

Byron Jones - He is already hurt working on getting him ready for week 1.

Holland - He is too good to risk getting hurt. I'd play him in the dress rehearsal and that is it.

Wilson - I would get him some snaps but nothing crazy.

There are some guys that I do think that we should give extended reps to for various reasons and that I look forward to watching in the preseason.

Ezukanma - From what I've heard, he looks good in camp. Due to our depth at WR, it might be hard for him to get onto the field in the regular season. I think that now might be the time to get him meaningful reps.

Tindall - This dude has all the skills needed to make him a first round pick. I think coaching and reps could help him develop.

Jackson, Eichenberg, Williams - I think the line is still a work in progress. I would use the preseason to get these guys reps, and also, to get tape on these guys. If these guys do not look good, we may need to consider adding a FA.

Bowden Jr. - I do not think he is a lock to make the team at all. I think playing him does two things. #1 - It gives him a chance to earn a roster spot #2 - I do think he is a person that does have trade value and showcasing that could fetch us a draft pick.

Ahmed - People are saying that he looks good, and that this might be the perfect system for him. I think he is a dark horse to steal a job from Gaskin or Michel.

Skylar Thompson - It sounds like Miami may have gotten a lot of value in the draft, and Thompson might challenge for a roster spot. I would play him a ton with a long term vision in mind. If he looks like a viable NFL QB, he could wind up taking Bridgewater's job next season as a cheap back up.

Noah I. - I really think that time might be up for this former first rounder. He has struggled to even dress for game day these last few years. I think that if he was a mid round pick, he would be gone already. If the goal is for him to simply dress on game day and be a backup, you gotta wonder would his roster spot be better served for someone like Thompson?

KeyFin likes this.