1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Previewing 2014 and Beyond (including a look at the Cap in 2015)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, May 13, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Previewing the 2014 team.

Free agents post 2014:

Moreno, RB
    Odrick, DT/DE
    Delmas, S
    Clay, TE / HB

Not too bad - Moreno will have to perform or he'll go back on the market. I'd like to get Clay under a longer deal and keeping Odrick, imo, depends on what Mitchell does and on what any other reserves do. Odrick has progressed each year - will be interesting to see how much the contract year gives him a boost. Delmas is gone after this year.

We are $16 M under the cap this year but, if the cap is the predicted $140 M next year (some believe it may go a bit higher) we are currently about $0.4 M over. We can roll most of the $16 M into next year after the rookie signings (probably $12-13 M) which will help but no doubt there will be several likely cuts after this year from the list below. Finnegan, Starks and Ellerbe look to be in the biggest trouble for a return. Letting those three go would add $16 M to the cap savings, giving Miami a good bit to spend elsewhere. Wallace and Wake also will need to have productive seasons, in all likelihood.

Source: http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Dolphins

Potential Cap Casualties post 2014 (pre June 1 - post June 1 cut will likely save more and have less dead $$ - numbers are from same site):

[table="width: 500, class: grid, align: left"]
    [tr]
    [td]Player[/td]
    [td]Dead Money[/td]
    [td]Cap Savings if Released[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Wallace[/td]
    [td]$9.6 M[/td]
    [td]$2.5 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Ellerbe [/td]
    [td]$4.2 M[/td]
    [td]$5.6 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Wake [/td]
    [td]$2.8 M[/td]
    [td]$6.9 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Pouncey[/td]
    [td]$0.0 M[/td]
    [td]$7.4 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Hartline[/td]
    [td]$4.2 M[/td]
    [td]$3.1 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Finnegan[/td]
    [td]$1.0 M[/td]
    [td]$5.5 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Starks[/td]
    [td]$1.0 M[/td]
    [td]$5.0 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mitchell[/td]
    [td]$1.5 M[/td]
    [td]$3.0 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Gibson[/td]
    [td]$1.0 M[/td]
    [td]$3.3 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Fields[/td]
    [td]$0.8 M[/td]
    [td]$3.1 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Smith[/td]
    [td]$0.3 M[/td]
    [td]$2.8 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Garner[/td]
    [td]$0.2 M[/td]
    [td]$1.6 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Misi[/td]
    [td]$1.7 M[/td]
    [td]$2.7 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

I list those for a couple of reasons. One, who the Dolphins may look to replace (or who they may be grooming) for 2015 and two, who will have greater motivation to play well given their contract year upcoming - or the potential they know they may be a cap casualty and will be on the market again. Even though Wake has been Miami's best player for several years, he is getting up in age I think he has to really perform if the Dolphins are going to justify his cap hit. Wallace's salary is way out of the norm given the rest of the team - and he will need to step up for any justification of keeping him beyond 2014 - even though his cap savings are not super if we release him. But there may be even more savings (unsure what they would be at this juncture - I would guess another $4-5 M) if he were a post June 1 cut in 2015 or let go via trade.

QB - Tannehill - big year for him. If the additions on the OL lead to real improvement, then there can be little excuse. Really want to see him jump into the 90's in QBR. He has to work significantly on his long ball and on his ability/willingness to pull the trigger (too many pumps and hesitation waiting for someone to get open instead of anticipating the WR becoming open). If he can connect with Wallace in stride more consistently, that could really help the play of both and the team as well. If he does not step up - we'll all be looking at QBs in the 2015 draft. Here's hoping he becomes a bonafide starter for Miami the next 10 years.

RB - Moreno is a sure starter and will garner most of the PT. His pass receiving and pass blocking skills will be a key feature that will improve this position. I've not been very impressed with his running game, however. I think he's basically mid-level or below as a ball-carrier (take away the outlier of the Patriots game - and his numbers are very pedestrian). He should be an improvement over last year, however. Miller is the front runner to back him up but def. needs to improve. Not a fan of Thomas - wish we had gotten another RB in the mid rounds. The rookie UDFA from OU has a real shot at making the team as both a KR and a RB, imo. Thigpen's job is on the line. Still not a position of strength for Miami.

TE - Clay is the man. Big battle for back ups here between Sims, Lynch, Hoskins, Egnew and Miller for #'s 2 & 3. I think it's wide open and Hoskins has a good shot as a pass receiving back up to Clay. Egnew has talent but has to show up. Sims, Lynch and Miller have to block well and pass catch - it's pretty wide open comp there, imo.

WR - Hartline and Wallace will start if healthy, imo. The staff will have to find a way to motivate Wallace to step up every game. Not an easy task. I think if Tanny can complete some big passes early on - and we can feature Wallace early - his attitude will be good going forward and we'll see a different player next year. He's a classic moody WR who can excel when he is loved; or be very average when not. #3 is a battle with Gibson having the edge at the start (if he is full speed) over Landry - whom I think will launch himself into serious competition at the #3 spot - because of his competitiveness. #5 will also be a battle between Matthews, Binns and Hazel. Not a huge fan of the lack of speed (outside of Wallace), but I suspect, as discussed during the draft, we are seeking to build a WR corps not unlike Green Bay - with multiple WR's who can run the whole route tree and intermix. It usually takes a player a while to develop but I think Landry's hands will help him early on.

OL - Solid upgrades here. An entirely revamped OL that should be much improved even if not great. Honestly, my biggest concern is how mature Pouncey will be and whether he will be a prima donna or whether he will really become a humble leader on the team. Albert will help with leadership; so, too Smith. Projected Lineup - moving left to right: Albert - Turner (D.Thomas) - Pouncey - S. Smith - J. James. I think Thomas will battle Turner for LG (but they may keep DT at back up OT). Fox seems like a backup at RT. Then there is Garner, Brenner and I like the Larsen kid as having a shot at a backup C spot. If they see enough there they may groom him for replacing Pouncey the following year.

DE - The trio of Wake, Jordan and Vernon could be deadly. I am anxious to see how much bigger, stronger and more effective Jordan becomes and with a full off-season and a healthy shoulder also how effective the Dolphins use him. He flashed exceptional ability at times to pressure the QB. If Misi is moved to ILB, that could open things up for Jordan to play OLB some - alongside Vernon. Though he moves well in space, I think pass rush is where they need to focus if they want to get the most out of Jordan. At Wake's age, will he be able to maintain his past production? If he does not maintain great play, he is a candidate for release before 2015, imo. Shelby provides some depth but has not really had a big impact on the game when he is in. Fede is a project at this point. If someone goes I suspect Odrick will be utilized at the RDE spot.

DT - Starks, Mitchell and Odrick form the ostensibly starting trio here. Mitchell replaces Soliai. We lose some strength and power but we gain some youth, quickness and pursuit in Mitchell. Mitchell will be a key to the run D. A.J. Francis has some promise as backup and the rookie Anthony Johnson, if he can keep his nose clean, also has ability to contribute. But, the starting trio will be the core and should help keep the DL the strength of this defense.

LB - Last year was one of the poorer years in recent history from the expensive trio. This position is filled with the most question-marks. Will Misi be moved to ILB? If so, how will he perform? Will Ellerbe and Wheeler improve? Given the realities I think Ellerbe will have to dramatically improve or he'll be a certain cap-casualty given that the team will save $5.6 M + by releasing him before 2015. Here's hoping for lots of improvement and competition from Jelanie Jenkins and Jordan Tripp (Maybe he'll become this generation's Zach Thomas! One can still dream). Jonathan Freeny has been a STer for two years now and I'd like to see him step up and compete for a role in the lineup.

CB - Right now it's Grimes and ... wide-open competition. It appears Finnegan will be first on the depth chart going into camp, but there will be a battle from Jamar Taylor. A healthy Taylor who gets a full off-season (like Jordan) will be great to see. Taylor did nothing last year but was not a bad pick up from the Dolphins. Will Davis has to advance from being a pre-season wonder. Walt Aikens, a bit of a surprise pick, has some great size and physicality - and should play a role on Special Teams but may also in the mix. I really don't think we're too bad off here with the competition and youth.

S - This is a position with some question-marks. Reshad Jones seemed to regress after getting his contract. Delmas is a slight notch down from Clemens to some but still is pretty young (27) and has a lot of starts under his belt. These two will need to improve. Though listed as a safety, Michael Thomas flashed some potential in coverage and made arguably the most exciting and significant play of the year last year - intercepting Tom Brady in the end-zone in what could have been the biggest win in years for the Dolphins - until they fell apart at the end. I like Thomas' potential. Jimmy Wilson and Don Jones (if he stays on the team) will likely remain as STers and mid-level reserves.

Overall, I voted the Dolphins to be a 9-7 team. Every team in the division will be improved. The key will be the offensive coaching, the OL coming together, and Tannehill stepping up in his make-or-break third year, imo. I think the D is adequate to have a winning team, but the young players (Jordan, Mitchell, Taylor, Jenkins, Tripp, R.Jones, etc.) will really need to grow for them to improve and be a genuine top 5 calibre team. Hopefully we will get some rookie production as well. If the line comes together; if Moreno and the revamped OL play well and Tannehill turns out to be the real deal (especially on the deep ball) the Dolphins could compete for a playoff spot and get to 10-6 or better.

I am excited over what the new OL coaches and new OC will bring to the table. If the offense can play a more exciting and explosive brand of football - Miami could put up some big wins and the D should feed off of offensive production to make some big plays.

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    our cap space is currently at $16 mil, you can knock off about 8 mil for draft picks/safe keeping for the season, but if we cut Moore, Garner, Egnew, Daniel Thomas, and Thigpen that frees up 7 mil, that leaves you with 15 mil that you carry over to next year, then you cut Finnegan and Gibson in 2015 and that adds another 8.7 mil, so that's at least 23-24 mil for 2015. on top of that we can always cut/restructure other players such as Wallace, Hartline, Ellerbe, Wheeler.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Finnegan and Gibson might be easy targets for cuts for cap savings

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    You're kind of in a pickle if Finnegan plays lights out this year. When $5.5M is on the line, that's a lot of motivation.

Boik14 likes this.
  5. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    I think Finnegan playing lights out this year would be welcomed by all Dolphin fans. We can worry about his cap hit next year.

Boik14, Claymore95 and Larryfinfan like this.
  6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Cutting Mike Wallace in year 3 would be a mistake. Dead money to cap savings ratio is terrible. If you're going to pay Mike Wallace $9.5 to play for someone else, when you could pay him $2.5 million more to play for you, you're an idiot. Hopefully our master of coin Dawn Aponte blocks any such idiocy. Besides, odds are he'll be a 1,000 yard receiver with Lazor as OC. And hopefully, with an improved offensive line, Tannehill is more consistent with his deep ball.

Boik14 and LiferYank like this.
  7. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Agree to a degree but much of it depends on his production - I certainly hope he gives us what he gave the Steelers. But, that's also where the post-June 1 cut possibility comes into play that I noted. That significantly alters the dead money issue as well as cap savings. For example, if Reshad Jones were cut now that would leave $13 M + in dead money and actually be a cap loss (not savings) of over $9 M. Absurd to cut him then. But, if he were cut after June 1, the dead money is reduced to $3 M (that's a $10 M adjustment on a post June 1 cut). Still absurd to cut him at that point but the point is to illustrate the change in cap issues on post June 1 cuts.

Clark Kent likes this.
  8. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Should add RB Orleans Darkwa to the mix. Signed as a UDFA, ran a 4.44 at his Pro Day, goes at 6'0, 210.

His pass blocking alone would make him a significant upgrade to the position over last year. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPG1wwsPPDg

[video=youtube;QPG1wwsPPDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPG1wwsPPDg[/video]

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/05/tulane_rb_orleans_darkwa_ready.html

Bpk likes this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Who are the top impending FA'S for 2015,

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Great post, Da Fin's. So thorough. I put my thoughts embedded below in your original post. My thoughts are bolded, because they are more important than your thoughts. ;) lol. Kidding…

Previewing the 2014 team.

Free agents post 2014:

Moreno, RB
    Odrick, DT/DE
    Delmas, S
    Clay, TE / HB

Not too bad - Moreno will have to perform or he'll go back on the market. I'd like to get Clay under a longer deal and keeping Odrick, imo, depends on what Mitchell does and on what any other reserves do. Odrick has progressed each year - will be interesting to see how much the contract year gives him a boost. Delmas is gone after this year.

> I think in all four cases, their return depends on their performance this year, obviously. I think we'll be less happy with Delmas than with Clemons. I think he'll make more mistakes and give up more big plays. Also, part of what lets Jones play more aggressively is having a very steady Clemons beside him… I think Delmas will not cover Jone's back as well, and either Coyle will have to adapt by having Rashad play less aggressively, or we'll see more big plays against us. Moreno is a good back, just hope he stays healthy for us (not that he has any real health concerns, I'm just sayin'… it's so thin at RB I feel like there's Moreno and no one else). Odrick, I'm interested to see if he comes back bulked up to play with more sand at an inside the line position. That sort of depends on Vernon gaining the weight and ability to be trusted on base run downs, and for Dion to get mixed in more as a rush end too. Clay… I don't know… either he becomes a bona fide star this year or last year will be his career high year and he'll move back to being a decent, not great player. We'll see. It LOOKED like the light came on for him.

We are $16 M under the cap this year but, if the cap is the predicted $140 M next year (some believe it may go a bit higher) we are currently about $0.4 M over. We can roll most of the $16 M into next year after the rookie signings (probably $12-13 M) which will help but no doubt there will be several likely cuts after this year from the list below. Finnegan, Starks and Ellerbe look to be in the biggest trouble for a return. Letting those three go would add $16 M to the cap savings, giving Miami a good bit to spend elsewhere. Wallace and Wake also will need to have productive seasons, in all likelihood.

$16m under this year, $0.4M over next year if we went ahead as-is… so clearly Ireland had already planned to not see all of these contracts through… some of the 'prove it" players were going to leave. As you say below, it may be a guy with a year or two left on the contract too, not just a guy who is a free agent. Would love to hear Dawn Aponte's take on this thread.

Source: http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Dolphins

Potential Cap Casualties post 2014 (pre June 1 - post June 1 cut will likely save more and have less dead $$ - numbers are from same site):

[table="width: 500, class: grid, align: left"]
    [tr]
    [td]Player[/td]
    [td]Dead Money[/td]
    [td]Cap Savings if Released[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Wallace[/td]
    [td]$9.6 M[/td]
    [td]$2.5 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Ellerbe [/td]
    [td]$4.2 M[/td]
    [td]$5.6 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Wake [/td]
    [td]$2.8 M[/td]
    [td]$6.9 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Pouncey[/td]
    [td]$0.0 M[/td]
    [td]$7.4 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Hartline[/td]
    [td]$4.2 M[/td]
    [td]$3.1 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Finnegan[/td]
    [td]$1.0 M[/td]
    [td]$5.5 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Starks[/td]
    [td]$1.0 M[/td]
    [td]$5.0 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mitchell[/td]
    [td]$1.5 M[/td]
    [td]$3.0 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Gibson[/td]
    [td]$1.0 M[/td]
    [td]$3.3 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Fields[/td]
    [td]$0.8 M[/td]
    [td]$3.1 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Smith[/td]
    [td]$0.3 M[/td]
    [td]$2.8 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Garner[/td]
    [td]$0.2 M[/td]
    [td]$1.6 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Misi[/td]
    [td]$1.7 M[/td]
    [td]$2.7 M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

> Looking at that table, the question I ask myself is "Can I get this guy's replacement for the amount I'd be SAVING.. since that's really the budget available for a replacement if I cut him". Wallace is difficult because while you CAN cut him, I don't think you get a guy who is a credible deep threat for $2.5 and the draft is a crapshoot. We may be saddled with Wallace for 2014 AND 2015 so let's hope they can get more production out of him. I wish Landry would get in Wallace's grill and make him work, but how does a rookie making peanuts do that to a $60m ProBowler? Sad that I even need to mention it.

Ellerbe is almost certainly a goner IMO, unless we use a lot more 3-4 looks.

Moving Wake in a trade is interesting. I would have liked to have done that last year, actually, because of the windfall of picks or players it could have brought. Then again, I wanted the Lakers to trade Kobe after the back-to-back championships here. Sell high, you know? Wake's health is the key issue now, though. Also, he is a great role model for the younger players.

No comment on Pouncey. I simply don't respect him at all as a human being, despite his talent, so I'd be thrilled if he left (or lived in quarantine from all social media).

I don't see hartline leaving until Tannehill develops chemistry that good with another receiver. That could be Gibson or Landry, but clearly Tannehill is a massive racist so insists on throwing to his cracker-*** friend Hartline… okay, I'm kidding but seriously Hartline is like Jelly to Tannehill's Peanut-Butter. That's how good their chemistry is. YOu do not break that up without a proven replacement.

Finnegan… who knows? Hope his feistiness puts some extra fight in our defense.

I doubt Mitchell performs well enough to have us let Starks leave and not feel the drop-off, but yeah I see Starks as gone after this season.

I really think Gibson is a fantastic player for this system and VERY QB friendly so I pray he rebounds this year and earns an extension. The key to that is Landry, imo. Unless they get rid of Wallace and play Gibson outside. But Hartline and Gibson outside means eight or nine defenders in the box and no running game.

Fields… man, he's just a punter so how do you justify paying a lot? BUT he's a PHENOMENAL punter, so you pay the man. I think once your offense gets into top 8 offense territory you can use anyone as a punter, but right now those extra yards help us win closer games.

Is Smith Lamar Smith? I'm fine letting him go. Dumb and not developing too much, imo. A shame and a waste of natural talent but coaching seems to have no effect on him.

Garner is a great backup at several line positions but imo he's reached the end of his tenure here after this year… UNLESS a lineman underperforms or gets injured this year and Garner steps in and performs well, demonstrating his value.

Misi… -sigh- I think he's a great backup to all the LB spots, but as long as he is a starter here at any position it tells you the roster has mediocre talent. I'd be fine letting him leave.

I list those for a couple of reasons. One, who the Dolphins may look to replace (or who they may be grooming) for 2015 and two, who will have greater motivation to play well given their contract year upcoming - or the potential they know they may be a cap casualty and will be on the market again. Even though Wake has been Miami's best player for several years, he is getting up in age I think he has to really perform if the Dolphins are going to justify his cap hit. Wallace's salary is way out of the norm given the rest of the team - and he will need to step up for any justification of keeping him beyond 2014 - even though his cap savings are not super if we release him. But there may be even more savings (unsure what they would be at this juncture - I would guess another $4-5 M) if he were a post June 1 cut in 2015 or let go via trade.

QB - Tannehill - big year for him. If the additions on the OL lead to real improvement, then there can be little excuse. Really want to see him jump into the 90's in QBR. He has to work significantly on his long ball and on his ability/willingness to pull the trigger (too many pumps and hesitation waiting for someone to get open instead of anticipating the WR becoming open). If he can connect with Wallace in stride more consistently, that could really help the play of both and the team as well. If he does not step up - we'll all be looking at QBs in the 2015 draft. Here's hoping he becomes a bonafide starter for Miami the next 10 years.

> Agree that is Tannehill doesn't develop further this season, they bring in another serious QB contender. At least I should hope so. Also, if the team struggles this year and we flush Philbin and maybe hickey too, then a new head coach will likely want a new QB to tie his fate to. I think if the OL comes together (big if, with 4 new starters and rookies mixed in), Moreno stays healthy, and Wallace doesn't regress, and Gibson or Landry provide production from the slot then Tannehill should be a 95+ QBR guy this season. A lot of ifs. I don't think you can expect Charles Clay to continue his level of performance, and he'll drop back closer to the average, meaning other guys have to step up this year.

RB - Moreno is a sure starter and will garner most of the PT. His pass receiving and pass blocking skills will be a key feature that will improve this position. I've not been very impressed with his running game, however. I think he's basically mid-level or below as a ball-carrier (take away the outlier of the Patriots game - and his numbers are very pedestrian). He should be an improvement over last year, however. Miller is the front runner to back him up but def. needs to improve. Not a fan of Thomas - wish we had gotten another RB in the mid rounds. The rookie UDFA from OU has a real shot at making the team as both a KR and a RB, imo. Thigpen's job is on the line. Still not a position of strength for Miami.

> Hope to see Moreno stay healthy, because no one else is both reliable and above average. Thigpen needs to go away now. Just never became the guy I thought he could become save one or two nice pass plays.

TE - Clay is the man. Big battle for back ups here between Sims, Lynch, Hoskins, Egnew and Miller for #'s 2 & 3. I think it's wide open and Hoskins has a good shot as a pass receiving back up to Clay. Egnew has talent but has to show up. Sims, Lynch and Miller have to block well and pass catch - it's pretty wide open comp there, imo.
    > Clay is the man, but still more of an H-back, leaving us searching for that true block/receive TE who can be effetive with his height as well as lining up next to the tackle, imo. Dion Sims has the best chance there, imo, but HAS to be more consistent than last year. I think Egnew's blocking improved last year and if he put on more muscle and strength (and fighting spirit) this offseason he may stick… I think he has to earn his spot in the pre-season games though… and contribute a bit on special teams.. I've never once noticed him do a thing on STs.. is he even on them? With his speed and size I'd think you'd want hi out there. Lynch sounds like a straight up blocking TE, so maybe he is just here for goal line stuff like Mastrud used to do. HOskins is interesting but his space is, imo, occupied by Egnew, whom he'd have to displace.

WR - Hartline and Wallace will start if healthy, imo. The staff will have to find a way to motivate Wallace to step up every game. Not an easy task. I think if Tanny can complete some big passes early on - and we can feature Wallace early - his attitude will be good going forward and we'll see a different player next year. He's a classic moody WR who can excel when he is loved; or be very average when not. #3 is a battle with Gibson having the edge at the start (if he is full speed) over Landry - whom I think will launch himself into serious competition at the #3 spot - because of his competitiveness. #5 will also be a battle between Matthews, Binns and Hazel. Not a huge fan of the lack of speed (outside of Wallace), but I suspect, as discussed during the draft, we are seeking to build a WR corps not unlike Green Bay - with multiple WR's who can run the whole route tree and intermix. It usually takes a player a while to develop but I think Landry's hands will help him early on.
    > Tough one here because you have to have Wallace's speed out there despite his frustrating approach to playing the position. Most curious if Landry can steal playing time from Gibson. Doubt it early on. I think Landry gets limited looks, a la Rishard Matthews 2013. Matthews, btw, is now #5 and a threat to be dropped if he doesn't get the coaches to like him more. Who was it that said he seemed lazy or something? Sherman? Maybe Lazor will get along with him and the other 'weapons' better and actually use them to their best effect. We'll see.

OL - Solid upgrades here. An entirely revamped OL that should be much improved even if not great. Honestly, my biggest concern is how mature Pouncey will be and whether he will be a prima donna or whether he will really become a humble leader on the team. Albert will help with leadership; so, too Smith. Projected Lineup - moving left to right: Albert - Turner (D.Thomas) - Pouncey - S. Smith - J. James. I think Thomas will battle Turner for LG (but they may keep DT at back up OT). Fox seems like a backup at RT. Then there is Garner, Brenner and I like the Larsen kid as having a shot at a backup C spot. If they see enough there they may groom him for replacing Pouncey the following year.
    > You pretty much nailed it. Also, it will take time for this unit of strangers to play as a unti. Those first few games may be ugly. The question is, when will I go into a training camp where the Dolphins Oline isn't hoping to find some chemistry with 3+ new starters every year? I can't remember the last time we returned at least 4 starters on the line… let alone all five!!!

DE - The trio of Wake, Jordan and Vernon could be deadly. I am anxious to see how much bigger, stronger and more effective Jordan becomes and with a full off-season and a healthy shoulder also how effective the Dolphins use him. He flashed exceptional ability at times to pressure the QB. If Misi is moved to ILB, that could open things up for Jordan to play OLB some - alongside Vernon. Though he moves well in space, I think pass rush is where they need to focus if they want to get the most out of Jordan. At Wake's age, will he be able to maintain his past production? If he does not maintain great play, he is a candidate for release before 2015, imo. Shelby provides some depth but has not really had a big impact on the game when he is in. Fede is a project at this point. If someone goes I suspect Odrick will be utilized at the RDE spot.
    > I temper my excitement at Jordan's potential by looking at a photo of Kevin Coyle. Jordan has to be used properly to get the most out of him. I agree he needs to rush more. Jason Taylor didn't try to cover as much as Jordan has. JT also won DPOY. So maybe take a page from history, Coyle. Vernon bothers me… not because he has low production, because his production is good, but because I fear his good production is a roadblock to Coyle giving Jordan a chance to show us EXTRAORDINARY production out of that same DE spot. I'd love to see Vernon and Odrick splitting run downs at DE (depending on how heavy the set is

DT - Starks, Mitchell and Odrick form the ostensibly starting trio here. Mitchell replaces Soliai. We lose some strength and power but we gain some youth, quickness and pursuit in Mitchell. Mitchell will be a key to the run D. A.J. Francis has some promise as backup and the rookie Anthony Johnson, if he can keep his nose clean, also has ability to contribute. But, the starting trio will be the core and should help keep the DL the strength of this defense.
    > I wish I knew more about Mitchell and Johnson.

LB - Last year was one of the poorer years in recent history from the expensive trio. This position is filled with the most question-marks. Will Misi be moved to ILB? If so, how will he perform? Will Ellerbe and Wheeler improve? Given the realities I think Ellerbe will have to dramatically improve or he'll be a certain cap-casualty given that the team will save $5.6 M + by releasing him before 2015. Here's hoping for lots of improvement and competition from Jelanie Jenkins and Jordan Tripp (Maybe he'll become this generation's Zach Thomas! One can still dream). Jonathan Freeny has been a STer for two years now and I'd like to see him step up and compete for a role in the lineup.
    > Easily the most disappointing unit next to the O-line. I feel like part of it is on the players, but part of it is on Coyle. I think Coyle is great with the secondary schemes, but not great at putting his LBs in a position to best utilize their individual traits, and account for their individual weaknesses. Then again… if the coaches had banged the drum loudly for help at LB I would think Hickey would have provided more… is Coyle thinking he can get improvement from this bunch, or will he adjust his scheme in 2014? Who knows.

CB - Right now it's Grimes and ... wide-open competition. It appears Finnegan will be first on the depth chart going into camp, but there will be a battle from Jamar Taylor. A healthy Taylor who gets a full off-season (like Jordan) will be great to see. Taylor did nothing last year but was not a bad pick up from the Dolphins. Will Davis has to advance from being a pre-season wonder. Walt Aikens, a bit of a surprise pick, has some great size and physicality - and should play a role on Special Teams but may also in the mix. I really don't think we're too bad off here with the competition and youth.
    > You have to figure one of Taylor, Finnegan or Davis will at least contribute. I think #2 WRs will make us pay all year long though. So will #3's.

S - This is a position with some question-marks. Reshad Jones seemed to regress after getting his contract. Delmas is a slight notch down from Clemens to some but still is pretty young (27) and has a lot of starts under his belt. These two will need to improve. Though listed as a safety, Michael Thomas flashed some potential in coverage and made arguably the most exciting and significant play of the year last year - intercepting Tom Brady in the end-zone in what could have been the biggest win in years for the Dolphins - until they fell apart at the end. I like Thomas' potential. Jimmy Wilson and Don Jones (if he stays on the team) will likely remain as STers and mid-level reserves.
    > I would love to see a guy like Michael Thomas be given more opportunities, but not sure the coaches will do so. he only saw the field uner the direst of lack-of-depth circumstances. Sometimes a guy just can't get on the field, despite flashing. I am read to sign the divorce papers on Jimmy Wilson. Delmas will not be as steady as Clemons, and some opposing WRs will have big play touchdowns as a reminder of that fact.

Overall, I voted the Dolphins to be a 9-7 team. Every team in the division will be improved. The key will be the offensive coaching, the OL coming together, and Tannehill stepping up in his make-or-break third year, imo. I think the D is adequate to have a winning team, but the young players (Jordan, Mitchell, Taylor, Jenkins, Tripp, R.Jones, etc.) will really need to grow for them to improve and be a genuine top 5 calibre team. Hopefully we will get some rookie production as well. If the line comes together; if Moreno and the revamped OL play well and Tannehill turns out to be the real deal (especially on the deep ball) the Dolphins could compete for a playoff spot and get to 10-6 or better.
    > I expect the offense to show improvement and defense to regress. I'm unsure of where we fall between 8-8 and 10-6.

I am excited over what the new OL coaches and new OC will bring to the table. If the offense can play a more exciting and explosive brand of football - Miami could put up some big wins and the D should feed off of offensive production to make some big plays.
    > I'm really not sure what Bill Lazor's Offense will look like. IIRC he has made a lot of stops and worked under a LOT of systems so it's not safe to assume he is here to "Chip Kellyify" the offense by any means. I'm VERY curious to hear early reports out of camp this year regarding the offensive system. I have to assume Tannehill was heavily considered in the choice of Lazor, and thus Lazor's system will me one Tannehill is thought to be able to thrive in.. I wonder if Tannehill himself had any input into discussing the style of offense he likes and feels most comfortable in? Much of this season's success or failure will come down to how well Lazor figures out which style of offense to tailor to Tannehill's traits. GOOD LUCK and FINS UP.

Thanks Da Fins

Boik14, evz and Da 'Fins like this.
  11. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Great comments. Concur all the way through.

Would love to see a C emerge to compete with Pouncey. If we traded Pouncey after June 1 (say in camp), we would add a couple more $$ to cap savings this year and add $7M in savings next year. Of course, it means getting a good C in place. It may be Pouncey will step up and play great.

Edit: the "Smith" in the Salary Cap list is Shelley - who signed a two year deal with most coming in year two.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If Wallace is going to play like he did this year, it's addition by subtraction. You'd be better off distributing the snaps to other guys on the roster.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    WR is the obvious position where they need to make a move. Most likely casualities in order of likelihood; Wallace, Gibson, Hartline.

Ideally both Matthews and Landry perform well and Miami can get rid of two of the aforementioned receivers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ideally for who, the Bills, Jets and Pats?

Cause ideally for the Dolphins, Wallace, Gibson and Hartline all have big years behind an inmproved OL and better play from Tannehill. There will be plenty of opps for the younger guys to develop and provide depth this year and beyond. Time to let the anti-Wallace stuff go.

Boik14 and Da 'Fins like this.
  15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Ideally for any team that is subject to the NFL salary cap. The team should always be actively trying to replace its highest-paid non-QBs. If you can replace any of those guys with players on their rookie contracts, then that would be a huge coup. The scenario you just described entails Ryan Tannehill making $15-20MM per year, which fundamentally changes the complexion of the team's finances.

16. Bpk

True for WR production, but removing Wallace brings more run defenders to the LOS and strangles the run game. Robbing Peter to pay Paul if we improve the passing offense at the expense of the running offense.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. Bpk

Honestly, if I were Hickey I'd call Wallace into my office and say "I didn't sign you and I wouldn't have. You don't practice hard. You have ****ty technique and no want-to. You don;t play wide receiver, you just run around. Now, if you prove yourself, I'll keep you, otherwise expect to get flushed. I've spoken with the coaches and we're watching you in camp to see whether you deserve to start."

And I'd back it up, with Philbin sitting Wallace to start the season if he isn't working like a dedicated professional. Seriously. I'd do that and screw fan pressure.

Send a message.

I can almost guarantee that after Wallace's initial tantrum phase, his ego will start to hurt. Going places and people saying, "Hey man, you aren't even playing huh?" will eventually get to him and he'll want to compete on that field. When you break a horse like that he becomes a triple-crown thoroughbred. I believe the lightbulb would come on and you'd see a ProBowl caliber Wallace after that.

As he is now, he's half useless to us.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That is elite QB money and if it happens we should deal with it when it happens. Getting rid of guys under the assumption it may happen is silly IMO.

19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If the scenario you described - Wallace, Hartline, and Gibson all having big seasons - then absolutely Ryan Tannehill is getting that kind of money. If Ryan Tannehill isn't getting that type of money, then this is all a moot point because a new GM and coaching staff will be coming to town. The Dolphins have essentially been operating with that cap space blocked off.

20. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Slightly off topic but looking at 2014...

SF
    Gore, Frank 05/3 32
    Hunter, Kendall 11/4 00
    Hyde, Carlos 14/2 23
    James, LaMichael 12/2 38
    Lattimore, Marcus 13/4

Holy ****

Da 'Fins likes this.
  21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    You guys are being too hard on Wallace... Yes, he needs to improve. No question. But let's not act like he wasn't open for 1200+ yards receiving and double digit TD's.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

RT isn't due a new contract until year 6, I'm pretty sure no one is making present day cap decisions with 2017 in mind.

23. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, two years automatic and option year after that. A hell of a lot can/will happen between now and then.

24. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I love how everyone always talks about cutting our higher paid players. NEWS FLASH, those are our best players. I understand being cap friendly but sorry we need guys like wake, pouncey, wallace, etc. I don't really care if their expensive.

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not really that simple. A safety in the box can be a run defense tactic, but it's also a very common set of formations and coverage shells that plenty of defenses utilize in a variety of situations, including passing downs. Likewise, a lack of a perceived deep threat doesn't mean you don't have deep safeties. Reggie Bush saw them a pretty minimum amount of time in 2012 with Brian Hartline and Davone Bess as starters, for example.

26. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Wallace isn't one of the Dolphins best players, but he's the highest paid. That's a problem.

27. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    I knew someone was going to bring up wallace and I get that one but the other's. I understand the free agent's we brought in that haven't lived up to thier contracts, i.e ellerbe so far. But we have to reward the guys who we drafted that earn their cash. Their is a reason they are the highest paid, because they are mostly our highest impact players. Having a good cap is great but not at the cost of losing out best guys you know.

28. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I'd try to make it a positive but get the same point across:

"Frankly, you did not perform to your contract last year - you know that and we do. Certainly there were times we didn't get the ball to you and we will do a better job with that. But, you have to help us. You were signed because of your great potential - the choice is yours: you can work your tail off and fight on every play and become an elite WR with your speed; or you can flail away in mediocrity and wind up like so many other FA players who sign a big deal and never live up to expectations. We need you and want you on the team and will do all we can for you to succeed as well as your teammates. But step up!"

And, I'd hope his teammates do the same.

If he does have a great year (and the other starting WR's do also) - then that's a great problem to have. One the Dolphins really haven't had since the days of Marino. I'd worry about RT the year after.

29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    LOL Mike Wallace is not one of the Dolphins' best players.

Either way, success in this league is dictated by how many of your best players are on their rookie contracts. Having your best players paid as the best isn't really adding any value.

30. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    IMO Wallace is a very valuable proponent to this offense, but to each his own. I understand it's nice to have your young draftee's playing well still on their rookie contracts but at some point you have to pay your stars. So do you not think we should resign a guy like pouncey? Was it a bad decision to resign jones or wake? I'm saying we shouldn't just let our play makers walk because we have to break the bank. To be honest we should be doing it now and take advantage of having RT still on his rookie deal because hopefully he's still around to get a big pay day.

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    My point isn't that you shouldn't pay guys. My point is that you should be trying to replace them with younger guys. The Dolphins should absolutely be looking for young WRs to replace the guys currently under contract, because they are taking up a lot of cap space. If Landry can replace any of Wallace, Gibson, or Hartline, then that is a huge win for the Dolphins, because it is going to free up millions in cap space.

Cam Wake is actually underpaid relative to his performance, so there isn't the same necessity there.

32. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    gotcha, I agree with that.

33. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Your bottom paragraph literally makes no sense. Should your worst players be the highest paid then?

34. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    It makes perfect sense. Value added is a pretty fundamental economic concept.

Cam Wake is an elite DE, but he isn't paid as much as the best DEs. Therefore, he adds value to the Dolphins.

Mike Wallace isn't an elite WR, but he is paid as much as the best WRs. Therefore, he subtracts value to the Dolphins.

A team full of Mike Wallaces is going to inherently be inferior to a team full of Cameron Wakes.

35. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I know what he means. Hard to have your 'best' players as rookies though. Virtually impossible. Yrs 2 to 3 leading up to their end of contract when the players team really does have to pay top dollar or let him go. Always cheaper and better to have your best players in the early yrs of his contract.

36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Right, but ny point is if that were feasible every team would be 60 million under the cap. Eventually you have to pay someone, which he agrees. Of fourse young talent is ALWAYS something you want. However I don't think you draft a WR because Calvin Johnson is up for a new deal. You look for cheap options across from him.

Its about smart allocation of resources more than anything.

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The reason it makes no sense is that contracts aren't structured how you are implying. There are peaks and vallies year to year.

If player X is overpaid year one of his contract at 12 million he could very well be underpaid the next at 7 million. It isn't a static situation.

Sometimes you add a Mike Wallace at a steep price for a couple years because what he adds is a value overall.

38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No, at that point you just give wall aces snaps to someone more productive for you, keep Wallace on the roster as a backup and use him situationally. You don't give a player 9.5 which you take as a cap hit to go away unless they are a criminal or just flat out suck. Wallace is neither