1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probable Mud Bowl

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Looks like these two teams could be playing in a replica of the 1982 AFC Championship, though with much less on the line. It's not supposed to be too cold, high 40s-50. But they are saying 100% chance of rain. Too bad it's not snow instead. It's also supposed to be windy. Rain+Wind means Dolphins can't rely on Carpenter for points this week.

Monday we might get a snow/rain mix, so who knows, maybe the temperature will unexpectedly fall and we'll get a snow game.

And I would note that Sanchez plays worse in the cold and elements, but:
    1.I don't want to jinx it.
    2.The Phins defense, as great as they are, can't hold onto the ball when it's dry anyway.
    3.It's not really going to be that cold compared to Monday Night in New England.

2. F.O

F.O New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    The Jets got shut out 9-0 at home vs Green Bay in bad weather.

3. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Guess I better pack a poncho

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, but I don't put too much intot his. The ball might be slick though, but that new artificial turf they've got up there shouldn't really be an issue. Plus... it will cause a severe lack of mud :up: I wish it was snow too though. I love watching snow games.

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the turf. They wouldn't build such a behemoth and let it have mud. I don't think that field has dirt.

GMJohnson likes this.
  6. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Maybe they are using artificial mud?

7. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    I wish there were mud, there arent many NE stadiums that still have actual grass. Kinda crazy.

8. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yup, no dirt, just those little black rubber pellets

9. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well that blows. That means we should be able to run the ball. Well, if they decide to actually run it.

10. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    How do you know for certain? It's a brand new Stadium that's never been played on in the type of weather they are expecting.
    It might be a nightmare for all "we" know. Old Giant Stadium games are known for blustering,swirling winds with no direction.It might be worse now!

11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Can we really look ****tier than we've looked on our own field?

12. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    NO MUD!

[video=youtube;x7DTNEa2E7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w[/video]

TokyoFishFan and Pandarilla like this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    We got hit pretty good with snow last Saturday here in Cincinnati. The UC Bearcats played a home game against Pitt, and they too have the field turf in their stadium. It was so cold they couldn't clear the field (didn't help that it snowed through the game, or at least the parts I watched). However, it did tend to freeze clumps of the rubber pellets together and seemed like the surface was more slick than usual. Guess we'll see what happens Sunday.

14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'm rooting for snow

15. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Giants & Jets have had artificial turf for some time now. I hate artificial turf. Actually there are two things I despise in the NFL:

1. Dome Stadiums
    2. Artificial Turf

I find both of these render the game so sterile and uninteresting. Even in good weather, grass is much better.

I grew up watching mud games - even in the snow there would be a lot of mud. Perhaps the earliest mud game I remember was in 1969: The Vikings hammered the Lions and the most memorable play was a Jim Marshall interception and then, as he was being tackled, lateraled to Alan Page who ran the final 15 yards for a TD. The field was white, covered in snow, but the players jerseys were black and brown with mud.

Just don't see those games any more. Even the grass fields have such great drainage that there's very little mud.