1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my computer

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Clark Kent, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I was on a site trying to watch movies and I got sent to a site that said I needed active x codec to watch. So I downloaded it... Really ****ing stupid. Whenever I use a search engine and click the link, I am immediately redirected to some ad...

I did a search on this site and found some good info... I then installed ad ware and it said it found some things, I removed them, it was successful (according to adware). I try and again, and the same **** is happening. I also tried using my McAfee and that found nothing...

I'm horrible with computers as is, so I really need some help. Anyone got any ideas for me?

UPDATE: Ugh, something is really ****ed up... My restore points fail every time... My laptop has randomly shut down for no reason a few times. McAfee sucks balls. Ad-aware sucks balls too it seems.

My internet is still goofy. When i go to a search engine, type something in, click on whatever, go back, and I go back to the search engine site, not the search itself. Both FF and IE. And I don't think I have a recovery disk. It must not of come with it or something, or else I'd do that...

2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
  3. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I DL it, but it's not really helping. It tells me my pc sucks and then only fixes a few things unless I buy it...

Still having major problems.

4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I've never purchased it I just run manual scans.

5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Download AVG and Malwarebytes, both are free and very effective

http://free.avg.com/
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I would get rid of McAfee. If you are running windows, download Windows Defender if you don't already have it and update your windows regularly if it isn't set on auto.

screamer likes this.
  6. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I can't even install them... I'm getting an error message and it stops installation. I'm getting error messages for windows defender updates and ad-aware updates too...

Jesus christ wtf have I done...

7. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, try starting your computer in safe mode and run your scans from there with the antivirus programs that you already have installed. That will allow your computer to search for malicious crap before it has a chance to load and cause disruption.

1. Reboot your computer
    2. Hit F8 repeatedly
    3. Use keyboard arrows to select Safe Mode
    4. Run full scans of your computer

If that works, immediately download those other programs and ditch McAfee. Also, update all of your progams regularly to keep them up to date with the latest security software. :wink2:

If that doesn't work, report back and we'll try to help as much as we can.

8. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

what like2god said.

screamer and like2god like this.
  9. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Thank you for your help you guys!

like2god likes this.
  10. anlgp

did it work? what did it?

i'm not a mod but would you please post so that others may learn from your mistakes. :up: that is how computer problems are fixed; one person may lead the way but may help with others down the road searching for a similar problem.

like2god likes this.
  11. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Booting into safe is good advice. I would suggest running Avira, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

http://www.free-av.com/en/products/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

http://www.superantispyware.com/

If you being asked to pay to use Malwarebytes, you downloaded the wrong app.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Also I do have a logmein account. I could take a look at the problem for you. I deal with malware infections on a daily basis at work. Just let me know if you need some help.

12. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I did what Like2God said. I then restarted my PC. The internet seemed to be fine. But they were some kinks left within my computer. My aunt took a look for me, did something and everything seems to be fine... for now. I'll be on the lookout for any issues. If I have any, I'll check back. Hopefully I'm good now.

like2god, DaFish and anlgp like this.
  13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Safe mode huh? I will try that. I am having the same problem.

14. anlgp

safe mode is a pretty sure fire bet that if it doesn't get fixed there your system is FUBARED

like2god likes this.
  15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008

I'm not sure what you mean?

16. anlgp

FUBARED = ****ed Up Beyond Any Repair

17. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I would definitely rely on that Like2 God person or Da Fish for some computer problems before that other guy. :lol: Thanks you solved things for me.

like2god likes this.
  18. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    He may have a funny name, but analgap knows his stuff. :up:

anlgp likes this.
  19. anlgp

I'd like to think all this time spent tinkering with computers has gained me some kind of knowledge.

Thanks for the kind words.

like2god likes this.
  20. screamer

screamer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Way to help a brotha out you guys! One big family here!

DaFish and like2god like this.