1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proof that the Phins won't cut Beck?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, I did a little bit of research. The internet is a fabulous thing... I went back to 1990, looked at ALL the quarterbacks drafted in the second round, and looked at whether said quarterback was released in their second year. Here's the list and how long each player was with their respective original teams:

1990:
    None

1991:
    Brett Favre - he was traded in his second season, as most are aware, from Atlanta to Green Bay
    Browning Nagle - made it through three seasons with the Jets

1992:
    Matt Blundin - 4 years with the Chiefs
    Tony Sacca - drafted by the Cards, stopped playing football some point in his second season, possibly released, although he may have retired (didn't catch on with another team)

1993:
    None

1994:
    None:

1995:
    Todd Collins - was in Buffalo for 3 seasons
    Kordell Stewart - was in Pittsburgh for 8 seasons

1996:
    Tony Banks - was in St. Louis for 3 seasons

1997:
    Jake Plummer - was in Arizona for 6 seasons

1998:
    Charlie Batch - was in Detroit for 4 seasons

1999:
    Shaun King - was in TB for 5 seasons

2000:
    None

2001:
    Drew Brees - in San Diego for 5 seasons
    Quincy Carter - in Dallas for 3 seasons
    Marques Tuiasasopo - in Oakland for 6 seasons

2002:
    None

2003:
    None

2004:
    None

2005:
    None

2006:
    Kellen Clemens - still with the Jets
    Tarvaris Jackson - still with the Vikes

Those are the facts, of the 15 quarterbacks, only Tony Sacca left the team in his second season. I'm not sure what happened to him, one of the few things I couldn't find on the internet :wink2: although I do know that his namesake is quite popular in Vegas http://www.vegascommunityonline.com/tonysacca.htm

So, what does this mean? It means the Phins are highly unlikely to release John Beck. And, if they decide to trade him, well he'll be the first second round qb to be traded in his second year since... Brett Favre. It would be one hell of an irony if he were traded given everything that has happend this offseason with Mr. Favre.

I hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane. :hi5:

GISH, HULKFish, calphin and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Great job bro. I dont think John Beck will get cut either. If we are going to cut anybody it should be Josh McCown.

3. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

It better be!!!:angry:

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

A lot of work bro, thanks...but I have a different view on whether the possibility is there for Beck to cut/traded...

I think IF a team approached us for a trade, they'd make it and keep McClown and go back to the draft next year and probably why they are keeping McCown around still. Otherwise, I can't see any legitimate reason to keep McCown and given his salary he's the odd man out even tho it'll cost us more against the cap to dump him rather than dumping Beck.

The one unmistakable fact that we can't ignore is that Beck simply is not Tunaland's pick and I wouldn't be at all shocked if he was moved out or traded. I don't think it's the best thing for this team, but that's MHO... Unfortunately, dealing with Parcells, I don't think you can bank your determinations of what he'll do on history of every other team in the league...

5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Nice info to have. Look how many of them totally sucked.

6. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008

Interesting...but telling? I doubt it. I don't think the coaches are going to research NFL history to decide what to do about EITHER QB.

Additionally, to do a fair analysis, you would have to see which of those teams that drafted a QB in the second round one year drafted another one in the second round the following year and ALSO signed a FA in the same offseason that drafted their second QB.

That might dwindle the categories down to a workable analogous situation. As it is now, its just (interesting) meaningless info.

As someone hinted at in another post and I agree, it might actually be out of Beck's control.

If Henne plays well and develops a comfort level with the offense and the coaches a comfort level in him, that could keep Beck on the team. If Henne doesn't have that comfort level, that could impel the coaches to keep McCown and cut Beck.