1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Props to Bushrod

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Dec 24, 2016.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...sistency/86d6ed19-ea18-45f2-ab8c-e8001093527f

Bushrod played under Gase last season in Chicago when Gase was the Bears’ offensive coordinator and the two developed enough of a rapport that a reunion in Miami made sense for both parties.

It has been a win-win situation for both.

“He probably could have made some different decisions and maybe he could have gone somewhere else for more money, but the fact that he had some faith in us to try to help him get healthy (and) get an opportunity to play this year, that was a great thing for us because he did have faith in us doing the right thing,” Gase said. “He stuck with what he was trying to do, which was get to as close to 100 percent as possible and then to learn a new position was … not many guys would do that. He probably could have had some opportunities to go somewhere else and still play tackle and we felt like we were in great shape with the players that we had and felt like we needed some help at guard. He stepped in and did everything he could to learn that position as fast as possible. His leadership ability is really something that’s unique, and the way that he goes about his business as a veteran player is something you want younger guys to see.

“He’s fought his way through probably some ups and downs throughout the season where it hasn’t been as easy as probably what it looks like right now. When you do change positions, especially going from one side of the line to the other, let alone going outside to inside, it's just a different view from the position you’re playing. He kept fighting through it and he tried to learn as fast as possible, and he’s done a great job with that. I know he’s still trying to get better.”

For his part, Bushrod is taking the same live-in-the-moment approach the whole team has taking all season when it comes to assessing his performance.

“Just gotta keep fighting, man, just got to keep fighting to get the job done,” he said. “I just want to contribute. That’s why I’m here. Ever since I’ve had the opportunity to start, I’ve had that mentality that I want to contribute in any way that I can and try to minimize my mistakes and do whatever I can to help this team and not hurt this team. Sometimes mistakes do happen, but you have to fight to forget it and fight to just find a way to keep refocusing and doing the job.”

Runnincm likes this.