1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Props to Wallace

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Sep 8, 2014.

1. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    To some people... I give Tannehill credit when makes good plays. I just don't choose to blame everyone else when he doesn't.

MrClean likes this.
  2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Awww. Did I criticize your little Mikey?

I made a valid criticism. If you disagree about the play, let's have it. Otherwise, shake your head somewhere else c

3. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I actually think he is the only person on the team who doesn't deserve any today. He played a great game.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think you can blame Wallace too much for not coming down with the deep pass. He didn't **** up too bad this week.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I thought Mike Wallace had a good game for the most part. Unlike a week ago. Not that many mistakes and he came down with one hell of a touchdown.

77FinFan and mroz like this.
  6. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    This right here. Yeah it was only 56 yards and a TD, but he caught everything including that TD catch which is probably on SC Top Ten tomorrow. Yeah, the deep ball was an incompletion, but that throw was garbage, that is a TD if thrown better. He did jump up and get his hands up there too, it would have been an interception otherwise.

His attitude is also worlds different from last year, I love the fire he is playing with hopefully rubs off on others now that we won't have Knowshon for a few weeks.

7. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Not my mikey... I could really care less if people are critical of any dolphins player that deserves it. Even if you are right it is one play. And the good plays out weighed the one poor one.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The deep ball just wasn't complete.

The problem here is when you throw a ball that deep it's always got to be someone's fault. Well guess what, they call it a LOW PERCENTAGE play for a reason. About 25% of those things end up going down as a completion in the NFL, if that. And what portion of those 25% do you suppose were perfectly thrown to where the receiver was able to keep running full speed and had it drop perfectly into his path at full speed?

I'll answer that for you. Not a lot.

Yet every time Tannehill throws one and it's not like that, he's crucified. NOBODY CARES when the other quarterbacks in the league fail to throw the ball that perfectly like 7 out of 8 times. But Tannehill, when he does it...let's impale the ****er.

Bottom line is give Corey Graham credit. He had good coverage. He runs a 4.38 which is pretty goddamn fast. That's why he recovered so well and made a nice play.

Stitches and 77FinFan like this.
  9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I wish to god it were easy to go through every hifglight of a deep go every week..so everyone can watch just how many are missed.

The idiotic thing is..if he hits a few of those throws..all the sudden hes not a qb that cant hit the broad side of a barn. Every other errant throw would be glossed over..if he just connected deep with Wallace.

10. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Exactly! The problem is that the 25% is much lower when Tannehill is throwing to Wallace. I really don't understand it at all, I don't buy lack of chemistry either since it seems like Tannehill is very comfortable throwing the ball to Wallace when its not a deep ball this year.

On the other hand people like to hate on Tannehill's deep passes ignore when he is throwing it to people other than Wallace. His percentage seems very high on those throws to Hartline, Clay etc

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And the streak continues where Tannehill is able to hit every other receiver on target on the deep routes. The ball to Brian Hartline was close to perfect, went right through Hartline's hands.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  12. vt_dolfan

CK..lets forget about the deep ball for a moment. Yes..Tanny has been less then accurate these past two games. In your opinion..is he regressing badly?

13. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

What would you say that is caused by CK? It appears to me that he's trying to guide it in or trying too hard to make a perfect pass when he's throwing at Wallace deep...and it's making him look stiff and not fundamentally sound in his delivery.

But I'm certainly no expert...that's just the feel I get.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's mostly the same guy, I don't think we're witnessing regression. I think we're witnessing a guy that has run one offense for seven straight years now try and learn a completely foreign one.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  15. vt_dolfan

I wish people would just give it some time..let it get to the point where he doesnt have to think about it...you can tell when he starts to feel it..the ball jumps put of his hand...

Are we in that much of a rush for an instant answer..that your willing to ruin what you may have because it isnt happening according to your clock?

16. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Ok, ok, break down of the play in slow mo.

at about the 43 yard line Wallace has a clear break from #20. The separation between the two players is about two yards with Wallace on the inside.

at the 30 yard line you see Wallace clearly break down in an attempt to adjust to the ball.

at the 28 yard line #20 starts to jump as Wallace is still trying to break down for the ball.

at the 27 yard line you can see the bills db has his right forearm on Wallace's helmet and it appears that he has his right hand in Wallace's face mask. At this point the ball is still not in the frame.

At about the 26 yard line both players are airborne with the DBS right arm still on Wallace's shoulder. Ball is just coming into the frame.

at about the 25 1/2 yard line the db clearly has his right forearm on Wallace's back and his right hand appears to be in Wallace's face mask. The ball is about a foot away from the defenders left hand.

at about the 25 the ball is batted away.

It appears that the initial jolt from the contact created by the defender Between the 28 and 25 1/2 yard line prevented Wallace from raising his left arm.

even though the defensive player is clearly hanging on Wallace, at their high point Wallace's shoulder is about even with the top of the defenders head. Wallace was clearly making an effort to get the ball at it highest point.

if you think Wallace didn't make an effort to get the back at its highest point we will have to agree to disagree.

also, don't want to turn this into another Tannehill bad throw post but man, he missed his spot by about 8 yards.

again, not my mikey... But I think it is important to be fair to all players involved.

MrClean and GARDENHEAD like this.
  17. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I agree with everything I snipped out of your post. I have to say I disagree with this part. See, the problem I have with this play is not that tannehill missed Wallace by a couple yards. The problem is that he threw that ball about 8 yards from where it ended to be. It wasn't even close...

As for graham, the only reason he made up the ground like he did was cause Wallace had to break down for the ball. That ball is on the left hash mark and it is a huge play for the fins... Maybe not a td but...

also, graham basically mugged Wallace on that play. That was a pretty easy PI that the refs missed.

MrClean likes this.
  18. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    That was a very good throw.

19. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Idk, if this is the problem but have you all noticed that he seems to have a bit of a different throwing motion then in the past? Or is that just me?

it is almost like he is side arming the ball at times.

20. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    you know I am critical of Ryan but I am not one of the people that has given up on him... I hope it is just that his timing is off a bit...

21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The logical answer would be he has trouble adjusting to Wallace's speed.

Maybe Wallace should run slower, like Hartline for instance, so Tannehill won't have to adjust for his extreme speed. :shifty:

Sceeto likes this.
  22. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Some still defending Tanne and still bashing Wallace. How rich. What character,

23. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    Wallace played a good game. Cant say the same for others though!

24. vt_dolfan

Lazor changed a ton of stuff. And..now that you mention it..I think that sidearm.delivery came up during preseason..

Hmmmmm..

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    1. It's harder to hit a faster moving target perfectly. It just is. This should be intuitive. With a slower target there's a bigger area into which you could throw the football where the player's speed won't have to perceptibly change in order for the guy to just run under it. With a faster target, ya know, insert a Scotty line from one of the new Star Trek movies. The window is smaller, his changes in speed more perceptible, etc.

2. Wallace doesn't adjust to the football in the air as smoothly or consistently as other players do. This may or may not be his fault. It could simply be a result of his speed. Maybe fast guys just find it difficult to see the ball and adjust seamlessly while going at light speed. Who knows? Either way it's just a fact he's not as good at this as others.

3. Sorry but these two don't really put the work in with one another that Hartline and Tannehill have in their careers. Blame it on whoever you want, coaches, whatever. They haven't done it.

4. Wallace improvises a lot and he's often trying to run away from the defender whereas Tannehill is aiming for landmarks. That's a little bit of inherent incompatibility between the two.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Tanne was off with several receivers. He was off all around.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I didn't think it was PI when I watched it live and saw the replays but that's just me.

As for where Tannehill threw it, he threw it to the landmark he's coached to throw it to. He's not coached to throw it to the left hash mark like you want him to. If you throw it too far that direction you risk another deep defender which he is literally unable to read on this progression sneaking back into the play. He threw where he needed to throw it. It could have been a yard further down the field. More than that and you risk the overthrow. Graham did a great job closing on the ball.

28. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    idk how you could not think that was not PI. Graham was hanging all over Wallace. Actually had his hand in Wallace face mask.

there was no defender back there, instead of throwing Wallace open tannehill threw him into the coverage. it was just a bad throw... And if tannehill is throwing to landmarks they need to move them... Lol

Sceeto and MrClean like this.
  29. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Coaches and players have all said this is a "throw to a spot" system...FWIW.

30. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    It may very well be but they need to adjust those spots... That play was a huge gain if it is on the left hash mark. To me this is no different then the int vs the pats... Just horrible ball placement. By design or just a bad throw...

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Re-watching it, it was just damn fine coverage. Graham hardly lost ground to Wallace. You'd have had to absolutely pinpoint that throw for it to be complete. Graham just did a damn fine job on the play.

32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

As tight as they called it in preseason, with the promise that regular season would be the same, that definitely should have been a flag.