1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prospects for 2015

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I am removing the clickable index from this original post and putting it into its own thread, which will be closed. I will continue editing the clickable index as I post new thoughts on players.

THIS THREAD IS OPEN. Anyone that wishes to discuss players may do so in this thread, I'm not keeping it so that it's just me talking to myself.

I'm not worried about player profiles getting drowned out by the discussions, since I have the clickable index available in the other threads. So discuss away!

2. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    During my evaluation of previous drafts, I was able to get pretty good looks at some of the following seniors:

OT Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
    OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa
    OT Cameron Erving, Florida State
    OG Josue Matias, Florida State
    OG Arie Kouandjio, Alabama
    WR Tyler Lockette, Kansas State
    TE Randall Telfer, USC
    RB Karlos Williams, Florida State
    QB Bryce Petty, Baylor
    QB Sean Mannion, Oregon State
    QB Chuckie Keaton, Utah State
    QB Connor Halliday, Washington State
    DE Trey Flowers, Arkansas
    DE Cedric Reed, Texas
    LB Reshard Cliett, South Florida
    CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
    FS Kurtis Drummond, Michigan State

I have some amount of feel for all of the above seniors. Maybe not enough that I think I can speak intelligently without fear of being terribly wrong, but I've seen them all play and I know what I like about them and don't like for the most part.

Other guys, I'm not there yet.

3. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Andre Davis, South Florida (Class: 2015)

I forgot WR Andre "Freakshow" Davis who is not currently on anyone's radar for the 2015 draft but will be, eventually...once everyone susses out which guys give off a pro look and which guys don't.

Quarterback play at South Florida has been some of the most atrocious I've ever seen. Quite frankly I'm not sure how he even managed to catch 49 balls for 735 yards. I'm amazed that he did. Our quarterbacks completed only 46.5 percent of their passes in 2013. That's a total of 14 completed passes per game. Think about that.

I don't have 2013 highlights but here are some of his 2011 (freshman) and 2012 (sophomore) highlights:

[video=youtube;lptINUYqS9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lptINUYqS9w[/video]

He'll end up a 49er if he continues to fly way below radar. You can mark me on that. Outside chance he ends up a Raven but more likely a 49er.

Update (9/2/2014): Davis only caught one ball against Western Carolina in the season opener, but it was a 44 yard beauty. Davis was forced to lay out in full dive for the catch, sacrificing his safety. He hauled the ball in, but it came at a cost as the dive bruised his sternum and he missed the remainder of the game.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Really like what I've seen from Lockette, from KSU.

5. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Who are some of the top LB (both OLB and MLB) prospects for 2015? You'd have to think that it's going to be high on Miami's list with the contract structure of Wheeler and Ellberbe, plus the Misi experiment planned for 2014

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Seems like the kid has been in college for 5 years..lol

D Parker from Louisville is a big stud, not sure why both stayed in school.

7. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Seems as though the good ones emerge, all the established names always seem to drop significantly.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Denzel Perryman is home grown true blood, mike backer, must look at him closely this season wearing the #52 for the U, Ramik Wilson is another player from Georgia that had 133 tackles in the sec, Vic Beasley from Clemson, Devonte fields from tcu, Gregory from Nebraska, Cedric Reed from Texas, Jordan Jenkins from Georgia, Trey flowers from Arkansas are mostly outside players..all pretty highly regarded players.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Jesus, who the hell identified Luke Joeckal, Jake Matthews and Cedric ogbuehi, I'd like to know the story down there who's finding these stud tackles..must be some kind of record.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Vic Beasley, Devonta Fields, Randy Gregory, Cedric Reed, Jordan Jenkins and Trey Flowers are more in the mold of defensive ends and rush linebackers.

Some of them might convert, but I'm not sure they would be what Miami are looking for, assuming the same coaching staff are here in 2015.

And if Miami has a new coaching staff in 2015 and they're looking to make better use of rush linebacker/defensive end types then Miami has plenty of that with Cameron Wake, Dion Jordan and Olivier Vernon.

I think what Miami will be looking for are more real linebackers...like the first guy you mentioned Denzel Perryman.

If we're looking at outside linebacker types within a 4-3 context then I would think we would be looking at guys like Bernardrick McKinney, Shaq Thompson and Jake Ryan.

Deerless Dice likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    LB Reshard Cliett, South Florida (Class: 2015)

Personally I believe Reshard Cliett of USF is worth a few looks. I've been eyeing him for multiple years. He's got the mobility that NFL teams want to see at the position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqe8bm2TMKY&feature=player_detailpage#t=2192

That's a play that is really going to show you his potential. It may look to some like he just gave up a big completion deep down the field but let's keep something in mind here. This is a 6'2" & 220 lbs linebacker. Yes, he may have seam coverage responsibility on this play but I very much doubt he's legitimately expected to hold that seam 40 yards down the field with no deep help against a 4.54 wide receiver like Herb Waters.

But watch him. He stays with Herb the whole time. If he'd been a little bit earlier in relating to the receiver he'd have defended this 40 yard vertical throw against a 4.5 wide receiver. And he's the one that made the touchdown saving tackle, while the safety (Mark Joyce) who should be much faster than him was helpless to watch.

If that were a 4.6 or 4.7 tight end he were defending up the seam instead of a 4.5 wide receiver, that ball is either broken up or perhaps even intercepted.

This is what the NFL is looking for in 4-3 linebackers now. They're looking for guys they can build from 3rd down into 2nd and 1st down. They start with players they know have legit enough athleticism and coverage ability to be in their nickel packages and then they get them stronger and develop their instincts and techniques to defend the run on 1st and 2nd down.

And Reshard Cliett is not at all a bad run defender. Very instinctive and aggressive, very impressive hand use and strength against blockers especially for his size. He just needs a lot of sharpening on his tackle technique. But to be fair to him, he had injury issues all through 2013 that probably affected his tackling ability.

LB Reshard Cliett and WR Andre Davis are probably the best NFL prospects on South Florida for 2015 although I really do need to take a better look at some of the OLs, particularly OT Quinterrius Eatmon and C Austin Reiter. DT Elkino Watson is the other senior that will draw some NFL interest. Those scouts that are suckers for high-star recruits will be looking at WR Chris Dunkley despite his practically non-existent college career.

ToddPhin and Deerless Dice like this.
  12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Kasen Williams, Washington (Class: 2015)

The guy amongst the seniors whom I believe (prior to 2014) already displays the full package of skills to get into that upper echelon among draftable receiver prospects is Kasen Williams of Washington.

Criminally underutilized and subject to what I viewed to be poor quarterback play. He's got the size and strength that you look for at 6'2" and 220+ lbs. He flashes the same ability to FINISH that you see in a Davante Parker, who is a little taller but also skinnier.

The thing he's got that Davante Parker might not is quick enough feet to be dangerous on the route. When I mention that Davante reminds me of Mike Evans, that's in both good and bad ways. There's a little bit of stiffness and awkwardness in Evans' gait when he's out on the route. He doesn't have the quickest of feet. Evans is an incredible athlete, ridiculously explosive, and that's on top of size and strength that is second to none at the NFL level...so I think you can forgive just a bit of stiffness. Davante doesn't have that same size and strength but he does have some similar lack of quickness and feet for an elite level receiver.

I think Kasen Williams' feet are better. He just seems like he's got more dangerous flexibility and pure movement, direction change, etc.

Additionally, Kasen Williams is an absolutely vicious run blocker. He has run blocking strength, explosiveness and attitude that reminds me of Mike Evans and that's a good thing because Evans is a pretty incredible run blocker when he wants to be (which is most of the time).

Kasen Williams brings a lot of this attitude out onto the route with him and uses his hands pretty well to create separation against man coverage in his breaks.

Here you can watch his 2013 game against Stanford. He's #2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFafsSetyM

You evaluate the basic skill set and he works the perimeter like Brian Hartline, except he runs really well after the catch, finishes contested catches and shows innate physicality and strength that Hartline would never show in a million years.

Heck of a play right here (11:04):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFafsSetyM&feature=player_detailpage#t=664

And here (11:40):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFafsSetyM&feature=player_detailpage#t=700

Both of those at the most critical time of the game, too.

Draft Breakdown has four videos of Kasen but all of them are from 2012. Yet even that young he looked very, very impressive:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/kasen-williams

The injury he suffered in 2013 was serious. He broke his leg and displaced ligaments in his foot coming down after leaping up for a catch. He's missed all of spring and the plan is for him to be full participation by summer.

He's a 6'10" high jumper.

Right now I'd have to have Kasen as the top senior wide receiver prospect.

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Jordan Taylor, Rice (Class: 2015)

Jordan Taylor is another senior wide receiver to watch out for next year. Caught my attention in 2012 trying to sift through tape on Vance McDonald, Luke Wilson and Sam McGuffie. Really amazing some of the hidden talent a little program like Rice had at the skill positions on that 2012 team.

Taylor is more than just an inordinately tall (between 6'4" and 6'5") receiver with good hands. He has enough speed, I'd say he's in the 4.5's based on what I've seen. He performs legitimately athletic feats in addition to having some pretty damn good hands. That would probably be what separates him from someone like for example a Derek Moye who is still kicking around the NFL. Moye was inordinately sized, could run for that size, could catch the football, but I'm not sure I ever saw legitimately impressive athletic feats or catches. I saw good routes out of him and a nice never-quit attitude, which is why Moye is probably still kicking around the league.

But with Jordan you also have legitimately impressive athletic feats, and it all makes for a nice combination.

Here's his game against Texas A&M. I thought Odell Beckham looked pretty uninteresting against this same TAMU defense. And this wasn't a one-off for Taylor. As I said he was standing out even when you're trying to look at guys like Vance McDonald and Sam McGuffie in 2012.

[video=youtube;Jmrxzg1u7wI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmrxzg1u7wI[/video]

And here's another nice example of the kinds of plays from 2012 that drew me to him (fast-forward to 1:14 you need to):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6IGlkpkVo&feature=player_embedded#t=74

Really an incredible finish on a play where he was being blatantly interfered with. Plays like that always catch my eye. If you can deal with flagged pass interference and still finish the catch, that translates well to the increased physicality of the NFL game.

Just for cleanup purposes here's his other catch from the UCLA game (3:30):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6IGlkpkVo&feature=player_embedded#t=210

And here's some more work from Jordan Taylor in 2013 just for reference:
    (0:18:57) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1137
    (1:28:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5298
    (1:29:13) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5353
    (2:21:34) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=8494

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    thank you. I should have specified 4-3 LBs.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Justin Hardy, East Carolina (Class: 2015)

(post to be written)

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Jaelen Strong, Arizona State (Class: 2016)

There's some positive sentiment toward WR Jaelen Strong of Arizona State. He's 6'4" & 205 lbs with listed speed at 4.55 as per NFL Draft Scout.

Granted I am only a little bit through some of his tape but I am not sure I am seeing it with him. He's reminding me a lot of Carlton Mitchell the USF wide receiver from back in the 2009 draft who had really great physical size and tangibles but was just too clueless on the field. I think Jaelen Strong has some better QB play, a more favorable pass-based offense, and therefore more consistent production than Mitchell did...but I can't shake some of the similarities.

From what I'm seeing, Strong is having trouble separating on a consistent basis, and he's also showing some issues finishing catches. He doesn't run tight, and I think that makes him predictable and a little slow into his breaks. With his size and strength he's going to have to deal with some contact in coverage, because officials won't be as tempted to toss the flag for incidental contact. I'm not sure he can handle contact at the point of the catch. His speed is such that players aren't having a tough time keeping up with him, either.

Wisconsin really got in his face with press coverage at times and it irked him. He was essentially shut down for three quarters of the game catching a pass here and there but not really doing anything that contributes to a team win. Then he came alive with two great back shoulder catches on great throws by Taylor Kelly. He followed that up with a third back shoulder catch. All three catches came on the right side of the field and were nearly identical.

He made one real play on his own against Notre Dame, a long vertical touchdown from the slot with single coverage from 4.6 safety Austin Collinsworth who made a pretty serious error at the start of his coverage jumping up and to the outside of Strong before trying to cover him vertically, but even on that ball Strong didn't catch it clean. He juggled the uncontested over the shoulder catch all the way down until he finally secured it. He did make another good play that I'll get into later.

His schtick seems to be the back shoulder throw on the right sideline. I think it's notable that he seems to struggle with it on the left sideline. Otherwise his team needed to create space and favorable coverage for him to get open. They used him a lot in the slot from a Twins looks against base defensive personnel packages and/or zone coverage. This helped him get into the body of the defense before anyone really assumed coverage, and that helped him to finish catches. A lot of these routes and catches just go uncovered. One play against Notre Dame he was able to make the contested catch after running free through the defense to where he could set up for the ball well and use his size. Otherwise you're seeing short catches underneath airy off coverage, with no particular RAC to speak of. He struggles to secure the ball on drag routes and other crossers.

The situations in which he catches the football reminds me a lot of what turned me off about Odell Beckham. However where Beckham had legit 4.40 speed but marginal size, this guy has legit 6'3" or 6'4" size, but 4.55 speed. Both of them I feel have production that is manufactured a little bit by circumstance.

All that said, Jaelen is a JUCO transfer and he did make an immediate impact for the Sun Devils. A fourth year could see him develop further and the more weapons he adds to his arsenal, the more he will legitimize the potential his body gives him.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Nelson Agholor, USC (Class: 2016)

On the other hand, there are a number of reasons that I'm going to end up loving WR Nelson Agholor of USC when he comes out early in 2015.

Basically the way you think of Nelson Agholor is he's a version of Marqise Lee that doesn't have any issues about effort or work habits. I know there was kind of a late push to turn Lee into an A+ character profile but I don't think that was the reality. It didn't fit his on-field demeanor and effort level for most of his career. Agholor has all of that going for him legitimately. His commitment to his craft was such that even as a RB convert, it was Marqise Lee learning nuances of the receiver position from Agholor instead of the other way around.

He's a little bit of a tweener and not in a bad way. He's got the kind of feet you'd expect of one of those 5'10" & 180 lbs types like Tyler Lockette and those guys. But he's actually 6'0" & 190 lbs with nice long arms and a lengthy frame. He's athletically dynamic, physical and feisty. Obviously he's got the RAC thing going for him as he's such a dynamic return man and gains so much RAC on his catches, not to mention he's a converted running back. He has tennis racket sized hands, too. And as I said he's a great worker and A+ character.

[video=youtube;Pqkz-4yk29I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqkz-4yk29I[/video]

RoninFin4 likes this.
  18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Austin Hill, Arizona (Class: 2015)

I believe Austin Hill is a guy to watch for as he could vie with Kasen Williams and Davante Parker for top billing among the senior wide receivers in the class.

Hill was a guy that lit up the field in 2012 as a sophomore with 1,364 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns which got him among the final 10 for the Biletnikoff Award. But tragedy struck in the spring of 2013 as he tore his ACL. The coaches were very conservative about his recovery and though he was actually able to practice by mid-November 2013, he did not play in any games.

The interesting thing about a case like Austin Hill's is he could go one of two ways. The injury could be an indication of fragility and more injuries to come. He could also be damaged goods, never quite as fast or agile as he was pre-injury. The latter seems to be a low possibility nowadays and most of these guys walk out of ACL injuries (especially when they're young) with stronger and more stable knees than they had when they got the injury.

The other way you could go on this is by acknowledging that in the rehab of the injury there's a possibility that a player who otherwise never was necessarily a gym rat has suddenly become one. Listening to his coaches and teammates talk, this seems to be a case. He has had to spend a very long time not actually playing football with his team and one of the only things he's been able to do is work out...so he's done that. Sometimes (not all the time) an injury like this during a guy's college career can actually speed along a player's physical development. And if you were already a physically strong and impressive 6'2" and 210 lbs before, now you have a case for some intrigue.

They say second year off of an ACL injury. Since he tore his ACL in April of 2013 as opposed to September or October of 2013, he's kind of right there. And he may very well be vertically faster than he was prior to the ACL injury. That happens a fair amount. I know that he says it affected his attitude about football tremendously. He's out for blood.

Does the talent match up? I would certainly say so. For that size for him to be primarily a slot wide receiver, he's doing something right. Like Nelson Agholor, his pure size and the way he plays don't quite match up (which is a good thing). He looks like Stedman Bailey or some other 5'10" & 200 lbs type of receiver. He has that same acceleration, balance, compact running style and change of direction, as well as his transition from catch to run.

If you watch him on tape there are certain things that make you think there's just no way he's actually big. One of those cues is how he looks compared to the two perimeter receivers that year, Dan Buckner and David Richards. But Buckner was a legit 6'4" & 217 lbs coming out and Richards is also listed at 6'4" so that would explain why they dwarf him. He is listed by NFL Draft Scout as 6022 and 210 lbs. I could see that being the case. I could also see him checking in at the Combine at 220 lbs based on his history.

His ability to finish is very impressive as he makes tough catches everywhere against coverage. What is particularly notable I think about that is how quickly he spots the football and can get his hands up to catch it. With his position in the slot and in that system there were a lot of plays where the football was out of the quarterback's hands and flying at him very quickly. A lot of guys can't finish when the ball is on them that quick, with so little time between their break and the football being on them. He can do it consistently.

He's one of those guys you can just point to and say that's a very good football player.

But at this stage he could be anywhere from another Anquan Boldin to another Arrelious Benn.

[video=youtube;Lj9m8FJ9zns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9m8FJ9zns[/video]

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Deontay Greenberry, Houston (Class: 2016)

This is another guy whom I've heard highly spoken of by someone I trust. However, it's difficult for me to share his enthusiasm for Deontay, based on what I am seeing.

What I am seeing from Deontay Greenberry is a guy who has the body and look of a pro, who probably has pro speed, but whose playing speed is not impressive. It makes me wonder against whom and in what circumstances is he producing the 1200 yards and 11 TDs that he produced in 2013.

I see him primarily in the slot which means like Austin Hill he has the chance to be super productive in his style of offense. But a lot of the big plays I'm seeing are straight up defensive mistakes. Where I think he really lights up is his catch radius and ability to finish fades and contested catches.

I just want to see a lot more focus and urgency from him on the field. But given how young he is, his 2013 tape being only his 2nd year out of high school...he has the potential to vault far beyond what he was in 2013 and that's kind of scary because in 2013 he was a 1200 yard and 11 TD guy.

He needs to get bigger, increase his focus and urgency, and get faster. If he does those things he could be a tremendous prospect.

[video=youtube;1mMQc5h1Yws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMQc5h1Yws[/video]

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Stefon Diggs, Maryland (Class: 2016)

I forget which game of his I was watching in 2012, it might have been the Boston College game. But I saw this guy all over place looking inordinately polished for such a young kid, and it stuck in my memory. I saw him again in 2013 and he's legitimately been on the list of guys I've been waiting for to get old enough that I can start looking at them for the draft.

He's 6002 & 195 lbs. He looks like he's got legitimate 4.4 speed. You can imagine based on those things what type of receiver he is. He reminds me a little bit of Santonio Holmes back when he was a prospect coming out of Ohio State.

I'm going to avoid using vague and over-used statements like "good route runner" because that doesn't really describe what I'm seeing. He's not a perfect route runner at all. He still needs to tighten up his steps at times, use his hands better at other times, etc. However, something that becomes evident the more you watch him is that he really understands his role and what he's trying to do on the play inordinately well for someone so young. I thought at times he understood better than his quarterback.

It's actually because of his failures in route running and some of the failures to finish the play that you can see this trait. It gives you an idea what he was thinking and that in turn gives you an idea of how much he understands the concept of what he's trying to do. You can also sense this by seeing what the offensive coaches do with him. They give him odd duties such as putting him in the backfield and catching swing passes or being the outside runner the quarterback pitches to on option plays. That tells you he's a guy they want to find any way they can to get the football, and he's a guy they don't really worry about putting too much on his plate.

He's an intelligent player at a young age and so you can extrapolate from that what kind of discipline and diligence with which he approaches the game. Therefore it becomes unsurprising that as I dig into his details a bit, I find that he was already on the Maryland locker room's leadership council even as a true sophomore. That's telling.

Physically he has what you want for his archetype. He has speed. He runs like a gazelle. He has the ability to make people miss, to physically break tackles, and to catch the football with guys coming through his back. He can jump up and catch the football over guys. He has a pretty polished skill set. He's feisty and ALWAYS tuned in (which is something I accused Deontay Greenberry of not being, if you scroll up).

Something I like is that he takes more than what the defense gave. You see a lot of guys catching the football underneath soft coverage but do they take yards after the catch that the defense didn't give up? Does he create separation in man coverage and finish plays? In his case I've seen him finish plays despite good defensive efforts closing on the football, and I've also seen him take more yardage after the catch than the defense was in position to give up.

In short he pretty much notches every box you would want in a 6'0" and 195 lbs package with the only exception being he's not one of those guys with 4.30 speed, nor is he one of those guys that could paint a picture with his RAC ability a la Cordarrelle Patterson. He's very good at RAC mind you, but a guy like Patterson is an artist and I wouldn't say Diggs is that.

[video=youtube;2DxWowhjUeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxWowhjUeM[/video]
    [video=youtube;OgC-hr50ye8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgC-hr50ye8[/video]

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Dres Anderson, Utah (Class: 2015)

This is one of those cases where you really need to watch the film to form your opinion on what kind of player a guy is. You might see a 6'1" & 190 lbs listing along with an estimated 4.53 speed and think one way about Dres Anderson, then be surprised to find he's something else on the film.

Make no mistake, Dres Anderson has two speeds: fast and stop. That's the kind of player he is.

His "go" is different from other guys. I would be surprised if he did actually run as slow as a 4.53 when all is said and done, and concerned as well. I do believe it's important in player evaluation to figure out what kind of player a guy is trying to be and then evaluate whether he's got the goods to be that type of player at the next level. If he's going to be a speed guy which is what you definitely see on film, then his level of "fast" needs to be fast comparatively for that to work.

At this level he really is dynamic. He's the guy that could take a simple screen and go 80 yards with it because even though you thought you took good angles and had good enough spacing on defense, you found out quickly that you didn't.

From there though, the problems become apparent. He's clearly much more of a "get open" guy than a real route runner. He looks as sad as a wild animal in a cage when you give him routes to run that require precision, as double-moves and the like. You really have to question whether he is capable of making sight-adjustments. He's not the guy that knows (as of right now) that he's going to have to throttle down the route while the QB fits the ball between zones over the middle. You're not sure he's going to make the right read on his corner's vertical leverage, or make a middle-of-field read.

This is a dude that just wants to be quick and fast. He just wants break peoples ankles and then leave them in his wake. He can execute one good fake, especially a jab step off the line...but anything more complicated than that and I think he starts to fall apart. I thought Cordarrelle Patterson was more tuned in and showed more potential with real routes than this guy does.

As always, he was young in 2013. He was only 3 years out of high school. His awareness could continue to grow. The light bulb could come on. Even as things stand right now we're talking about a guy that averages nearly 20 yards a catch because of how physically dynamic he is. You can complain about a middle-of-field read that he didn't execute then the next play he takes a simple bubble screen 70 yards. We'll see how it shakes out.

[video=youtube;LmBxCV9ksqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmBxCV9ksqU[/video]

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Chris Harper, California (Class: 2015)
    WR Chris Gallon, Bowling Green (Class: 2015)

These guys were so uninteresting on tape I discontinued viewing them. Gallon is huge but clearly too slow to deal with the kind of athleticism he'll see at the next level. He will need to get a lot faster and more agile to make any kind of noise. Harper is just a physically very uninteresting player with marginal size, marginal speed and quickness, a rigid running style, etc.

23. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Chris Gallon went to my high school. Kid had some major talent for a HS WR, but also a lot of baggage off the field. Not sure how his act has been up in Bowling Green, but he would likely have had a lot better offers had a pretty big off-field incident not occurred.

24. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    UCF WR Rannell Hall (Class of 2015)

Listed at 6'1 196 he is a real shifty burner though (supposedly ran a 4.45 in high school). Offers special team ability as well. I think he is someone that goes between the 3rd and 5th round if he continues to develop and play how he has played.

[video=youtube;DAGE9vSOp0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGE9vSOp0I[/video]

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  25. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    UCF WR J.J. Worton (Class of 2015)
    6th round to undrafted free agent. The only reason I mention him is because he has some of the best hands I've ever seen in a wide receiver, I might have seen him drop 1 ball in his 3 years at UCF. He plays fearless and with attitude and cockiness; you could send him across the middle with him full well knowing he is going to get his head taken off by a safety and he would do it every single time. Kid is made of nails. His mentality translates off the field where he is a little wild and has a past. He seems like a guy that latches on with a team as a 5th WR and special teamer. Seems like a guy the Patriots would like in all honesty. He plays with the same attitude as Wes Welker, but he isn't as quick or shifty.

Take warning this highlight video sucks. They show the same replay like 2 or 3 times...
    [video=youtube;QI96-Xk-ktg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI96-Xk-ktg[/video]

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  26. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    damn I gotta start doing some work to keep up with the conversation.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    (DELETED...Moved to top of thread)

UCF FINatic likes this.
  28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Nick Harwell, ex-Miami (OH), now-Kansas (Class: 2015)

Listed at 6005 & 195 lbs but looks very solid on tape, strong. Caught 229 balls in 3 years at Miami (OH) before being forced to transfer due to "off field" issues. Had to sit out 2013 as he transferred to Kansas and was 6 credits shy of being able to transfer as a graduate.

Really only played significantly in 9 games as a freshman in 2010 but produced 62 catches for 856 yards and 6 TDs. Followed that up with 97 catches for 1425 yards and 9 TDs in 11 games in 2011. Then he had 68 catches for 870 yards and 8 TDs in 2012 in only 9 games again. That's a 3-year effective career average of 109 yards and 0.8 TDs per game with a 14 yards per catch average. He produced 8 catches for 120 yards and 1 TD against Ohio State (ranked #3 at the time) in 2012, and 6 catches for 149 yards against Cincinnati (ranked #25 at the time) in 2011. He only played in one bowl game as a freshman and produced 7 catches for 86 yards and a TD against Middle Tennessee State.

Up and down, the production is about as good as you get for being a MAC player. In 2014 he should be tested a little better playing against the Big 12 plus Duke.

He moves well but isn't a speed demon. Estimates of speed in the mid-4.5's may be accurate. He's balanced in his movements and while I wouldn't say his breaks are cat quick, they are effective. Though he ultimately produced a lot against Ohio State, he probably dropped around 4 other potential catches during the game as he had trouble finishing in challenging situations (diving for the football, going up for it at its highest point, etc). Some of his route breaks were also subject to over-playing the route and not just playing naturally.

All that said, he created separation against good players and came down with some really challenging balls during the game. The drops against Ohio State are actually misleading because he's known for making big, challenging catches in contested situations. He's the kind of guy that will fight off physical coverage to try and make a catch, bobble it initially but still maintain concentration and secure it. He would probably also come down with balls that are tipped by coverage because his ability to maintain concentration on the ball is there.

I would say he excels better than average on scramble drills as he's a balanced runner with a fair amount of athletic ability. Proficient speed-outs. Looks good on slants and crossers. Has some back shoulder and fade potential. Looks good wheeling to the outside from the slot. Maintains his speed while looking up for the ball. He is best in situations that emphasize his fluidness and balance as a runner.

He's a Joe Philbin type of slot wide receiver, IMO.

The perception he'll fight as he comes out of the draft is that he's sort of a jack of all trades, master of none type of receiver with tangibles that aren't compelling and RAC skills that are really just kind of average. And coming out of Kansas probably won't help him, nor will whatever he did to get kicked out of Miami of Ohio. But if Jarvis Landry can be drafted in the 2nd round then Nick Harwell is draftable.

[video=youtube;vb3jlkKiuI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb3jlkKiuI8[/video]

UCF FINatic likes this.
  29. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Solid list. If you only look at one UCF reciever I think Hall would be a much better choice than Worton. Hall just pops out more on tape and I think he'll be drafted higher.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah you're probably right. As good as J.J. Worton is at finishing, there's no getting around him being slow. He's just a little too one-note. Rannell Hall has a little more Keshawn Martin in him but he's a better finisher.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Man I forgot how good Blake Bortles really is. When you're watching all his tapes trying to get a feel for his wide receivers, it's a little bit of a different experience. You really start to understand how much better he made the receivers by being aggressive with the football and placing the ball in places where they could make a play on it. The thing they talk about with good quarterbacks is how they make players around them better. Blake Bortles made the players around him better.

To that end, even Josh Reese looks like a legit WR prospect to watch for 2015.

Fin-Omenal and UCF FINatic like this.
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Antwan Goodley, Baylor (Class: 2015)

I watched Antwan Goodley fairly often in 2013. Originally I had come to watch Baylor's Tevin Reese who was a senior coming out for the 2014 NFL Draft. However, right from the start I could tell that there was a beefy guy opposite Reese who looked even more interesting. Goodley is only 5101 in height but he's 225 lbs and he looks on film as if those proportions are accurate.

As a player on the field, he excels particularly in situations where he can use his leg strength. That is the attribute that helps him explode and accelerate out of his breaks. This comes in handy for him on comebacks where he can accelerate back to the quarterback for the football. It also helps him on slants where he can plant that outside foot and explode to the inside faster than the defensive back.

Where I believe you may find him a little weaker would be routes that require straight up speed, gear change, or sudden stopping ability. Routes that do not necessarily require direction change and acceleration off the plant leg are routes where he may look a little ordinary. If you're asking him to just straight up run the field vertically, and/or manipulate his speed in order to get open, I think that is where he's going to get a little less interesting. Additionally, while he does regularly finish challenging catches, there are a lot of times when his hands don't look clean. As with most guys

As you might imagine, the size, proportion and leg strength also make him interesting after the catch as he can get beyond arm tackles. However his RAC skills require a caveat. On RAC catches where he's required to stop, catch the ball and go again, he's probably going to look pretty ordinary at times. He'll probably have a high median yards after contact because of his size and ability to break arm tackles, however his median yards after catch in total could come out anywhere from below average to above average. This is because of his heft and the fact that he doesn't necessarily accelerate from a standing position like some guys can. He'll consistently deal with contact early on RAC plays, and it'll just be up to him to pump up his YAC by getting yards after contact.

On the other hand, like with any 225 lbs type of receiver, if he's got the ball on the run then he will be very dangerous in RAC. Bigger guys running through the catch will always be dangerous in RAC because they can run through arm tackles. They generally have the strength to regain their balance after contact. They're just a load to bring down. Goodley is built like a big tailback and if you got Matt Forte or one of those guys in the open field running at speed they're going to be tough to deal with. Except Goodley is probably faster than a lot of those bigger backs. This all is worth mentioning because of Goodley's weight and strength, he belongs in the group of heavier receivers that are dangerous in RAC when they get on the hoof. But I don't know that I would say Goodley is more dangerous than the others in this peer group.

What you're left with is a little bit of a conundrum because even though this player is 5'10" & 225 lbs, he's more of a route-runner than a true run-after-catch guy. He uses the leg strength that comes with his heft to make explosive cuts that are hard for defenders to keep up with once he's on the hoof. But from a pure speed standpoint he's nothing special, so he'll get more blanket coverage at the next level from guys that are fast enough to close on him after he opens up some separation.

The big key will be how consistently he can get off the line of scrimmage against the jam because as I said before he's easy zero in on when he's going from 0 to 60 due to his heft. If he can develop his hands and jab step well enough to consistently get away from the press then he'll be a successful receiver. If he doesn't get good at that, he will probably crash and burn. Furthermore if evaluators look for tape of him getting off the line against the press (which will be rare due to Baylor's offense) and they don't like what they see, he'll fall.

He's an interesting player. There's a reason he rose to the top this year and was Baylor's best and most consistent producer at the position. That program has turned out some talent in recent years at the position.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Levi Norwood, Baylor (Class: 2015)

Yet another wide receiver to watch for out of Baylor is Levi Norwood. He's about 6005 and 195 lbs. He looks as if he'd run in the low 4.5's or upper 4.4's.

It's a testament to how loaded the Baylor Bears tend to be at the wide receiver position that a guy like Levi Norwood slips through the cracks a little bit. But if you think about it, during Levi's four years (thus far) the Bears have had Kendall Wright, Josh Gordon, Terrance Williams, Tevin Reese and Antwan Goodley catching passes.

It's a little bit of a testament to Levi that in 2012 he had 40 catches for 487 yards while Goodley had only 17 catches. In 2013 that flipped as Goodley got 71 catches while Levi was the second-leading receiver with 47 catches for 733 yards and 8 TDs.

The first thing that interests me about Levi is his family. His dad is a long time football coach. His brother was a big star in basketball at George Mason and his other brother Jordan Norwood was a legend as a wide receiver at Penn State, and is kicking around the NFL. Jordan was a guy I liked. He wasn't big or fast but he had some of the best hands I'd seen.

I think Levi is more of an athlete than Jordan Norwood, who was less than 180 lbs and only ran a 4.58. You can see the athletic ability in Levi's run after catch ability and in his punt returns. There are a surprising number of tacklers that just fall off him. He's got better strength and size than some give him credit for. That's why he scores touchdowns. A number of his touchdowns came after physically breaking tackles, and so did his punt return touchdowns.

As a coach's son you would expect him to be on top of the mental game at the position and from what I can tell, I think he really is. I don't see mistakes and he looks like a guy that just knows what he's supposed to be doing at all times. Physically he reminds me of Corey Fuller who came out of Virginia Tech recently. However, his run after catch is way more advanced than Fuller's.

Right now it looks as if he's pretty exclusively a slot receiver, and therefore the route tree is limited for him. I think he'll get a chance to step up and do more in 2014 and I'm interested in seeing the results.

Punt Return Touchdown vs. Texas Tech
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBpsFY2Jqw&feature=player_detailpage#t=829

Bryce Petty vs. Texas Tech (Norwood #42 had 7 catches for 156 yards and 2 TDs in the game)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-XrOApFrw

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR DeVaris Daniels, Notre Dame (Class: 2016)

Daniels presents as a bigger receiver, bigger than his 6'1" & 205 lbs listing. He's actually closer to 6'2" and built very solidly with great muscle tone. There's some rock to him when he gets out on the move. He's no twig.

The problem is that as of yet his all-around skill set is average at best.

Daniels can run. If someone told me he was a 4.50 guy I would believe it. If they told me that in a year or two come Combine time he'll be running solidly into the 4.4's, I'd believe that as well. But his body control, quickness and acceleration are all just average. His ability to finish catches is below average for this level of a prospect.

He's more of a straight line athlete right now that can put himself in position to victimize smaller and/or slower corners. The problem is not that he's untalented. The problem is that he's undeveloped. Physically there's potential in Daniels that you wouldn't see on a whole lot of other guys. But the total package leaves you wanting.

I would say he's low right now but has the ability to climb high because the physical potential to be a big play guy is there.

Tommy Rees vs. Temple
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Mxhwg_gQE

DeVaris Daniels vs. Purdue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-LNpUi__E

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Josh Harper, Fresno State

First thing you have to point out about a Josh Harper at Fresno State is that in a little over 10 games with the Bulldogs this year he produced 1011 yards and 13 TDs on 79 catches. The problem there is Isaiah Burse (who went undrafted) produced 1026 yards and 6 TDs on 100 catches, and DaVante Adams produced 1719 yards and 24 TDs on 131 catches.

Obviously this was a stat-heavy run and shoot passing attack led by Derek Carr who got drafted pretty high and so there was production to go around. But I think it's worth noting that through 10 games, Harper had 984 yards and 12 TDs to DaVante's 1213 yards and 19 TDs, and Burse's 759 yards and 3 TDs. So when he was healthy, Harper did not take a backseat to an undraftable receiver like Isaiah Burse.

It seemed like Harper was really getting going in the three or four games before he went out. He produced 36 catches for 573 yards and 5 TDs against Nevada, Wyoming and New Mexico...which is even more than DaVante's production during that stretch. He also caught a 27 yard TD during the first 3 minutes against San Jose State. But then a non-ACL knee injury sidelined him the rest of the regular season and even prevented him playing in the bowl game.

Harper is a spindly 6006 & 184 lbs. He's got thin legs and no overall thickness, and he plays like you'd expect a guy built like that would play. I'm not seeing anything in the way of physically strong or impressive run after catch skills.

Despite this, he's a surprisingly diligent blocker who puts his whole body behind his hands when drive-blocking. This can look good on film at times but it can also make you easy to shed. The underlying strength and size isn't there for him to be a great blocker at the next level so I would take some of the highlights of him blocking well as a little bit of a red herring...flashy distraction that might not mean anything for his NFL prospects.

Despite being in the mold of a cat-quick type of receiver, I'm really only seeing average gear change and controlling of his speed. He doesn't really offer that cat-quick look even though that's what he's going to need to strive for given his body type and playing style.

Don't mistake that for not necessarily being vertically fast. I think he's got vertical speed to him, at least in the 4.48 range as I've seen him solidly create and maintain distance versus a 4.55 guy.

Probably his most outstanding characteristic is his hands. Sometimes I talk about a key identifying trait. You watch enough football players and they all start to look like one another but there should be key identifying traits that help you remember what exactly a guy is. I would say that Harper's key identifying trait is his hand use in all ways...blocking, catching, creating separation.

He's a lot like Brian Hartline in that he will consistently catch the football, using body control and soft hands to bring the ball in and get his feet where they need to be. However, like Hartline, you question whether he's ever going to be a guy to make physical, tough catches in 50/50 situations. That has more to do with body strength and explosiveness than it does hands.

He uses his hands really well to create separation on the route. It's a uniquely positive trait for him. But there are issues with that too. Sometimes he uses his hands too well. There are cutoffs where you'd swear a flag should've been thrown as he was so overt in delivering a blow to the defensive back to keep him moving backward while he cuts the route off and catches the ball.

Unfortunately, if his hands are PhD candidates, his feet and hips are still plodding through coursework at the local community college. There's just not enough acceleration, coordinated COD skills or explosion for his body type.

To compare him with a similar player in Marquess Wilson, who is the #3 wide receiver on the Chicago Bears this year, Marquess was taller (6'3" vs. 6'1"), vertically faster and had much quicker feet. Wilson went in the 7th round, though I think we can all say that was because of his quitting at Washington State.

As usual, none of this is an indication of a guy having "no hope". In Harper's case there could be a lot of upside if he really focused on strengthening his lower body and getting more explosive.

Once you get to the stage where guys are trying to get into the NFL, there are plenty of receivers just under 6'1" and 185 lbs that can run solidly in the mid 4.4's. Not many of them have Harper's hands and polish, but that won't make him unique enough. He'll need to develop another trick.

Derek Carr vs. Nevada (RWR Josh Harper #3)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFtuTb9OYZI

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Jamison Crowder, Duke (Class: 2015)

First thing is first. Jamison Crowder had 108 catches for 1360 yards and 8 TDs in 14 games during the 2013 season. A year ago he and Conner Vernon had almost exactly the same production, both with 1074 yards and 8 TDs, but Crowder on only 76 catches as opposed to Vernon's 85 catches. He has the Duke school record for receiving production in a season.

This is a productive player and one of the reasons the Duke program has seen their little renaissance under David Cutcliffe.

On the down side we're talking about a 5086 & 175 lbs player with 4.5 speed. There are many scouts that will preclude him from Day 1 or Day 2 standing on that basis alone. And they're not necessarily wrong to do it.

Crowder is about the kind of player you'd expect him to be if you know that he's only 5'9" & 175 lbs but super productive. He's cat-quick and breaks his route against off coverage easily to create the opportunity for a catch. He's also too quick and too small to consistently jam at the line of scrimmage unless you're a particularly lengthy corner. Crowder gets his hips around instantly on breaks and presents a nice target for the quarterback, with the ability to adjust on the football with ease.

There might be a little bit more speed to him than his 4.53 estimate on NFL Draft Scout. I don't think he's a Brandin Cooks running in the 4.3's but he gets off the blocks very quickly and can maintain separation once he claims it.

Crowder is one of those nasty little buggers that will find a way to get under the skin of defenders. He's a good blocker for his size and he catches a lot of players unaware.

You would be more inclined to forgive his size/speed deficiency if he showed exceptional ability to finish physically challenged catches and/or special RAC abilities. An example of a small guy with incredible finishing ability for that size would be Jeremy Gallon of Michigan. And there are plenty of examples of small guys with incredible RAC abilities, like Steve Smith of Carolina.

However, Crowder doesn't compare with those guys in terms of his ability to finish physically or run after the catch. He has good body control and can finish challenging catches when the ball is placed well, but he is able to be dominated by larger defenders at the point of the catch.

Crowder's RAC is very limited by his lack of strength and size. He doesn't often survive arm tackles and I would not say he's anything but average for his size/quickness profile in the open field.

In the end you're going to find a whole lot of reasons to love a guy like Jamison Crowder, and only a few to hate him. But those reasons to hate him are going to be important when it comes to transitioning to the next level. He needs to get a lot stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cezM493--Vk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWD4H9yt7k

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Tommy Shuler, Marshall (Class: 2015)

Sometimes it's beneficial to look at two guys who compare to one another back to back as it really emphasizes their differences and what makes them unique. Tommy Shuler of Marshall is another small receiver at only 5071 & 190 lbs. He has estimated 4.48 speed.

Like Jamison Crowder, Shuler is extremely productive. He caught 106 balls for 1165 yards and 10 TDs in 2013. He also caught 110 balls for 1138 yards and 6 TDs in 2012.

Part of his production comes from a rapport with his quarterback, Rakeem Cato. The two have been throwing and catching with one another since grade school.

A real examination of Shuler helps to emphasize some of the things that a Jamison Crowder really does have going for him. Where Crowder seemed to quick off the line to jam properly, Shuler looks as if good defensive backs can get their hands on him at the line and stick. He does a lot better with space and off coverage but he doesn't present as clean hips or feet as Crowder.

Shuler is already almost a pure slot receiver even at the college level.

He's not really a true route technician and he improvises a lot, depending a lot on Rakeem Cato's being a good quarterback in order to produce like he does. Sometimes that detracts from the offense and the other guys on the field.

Where I think Shuler stands out is his ability to catch the football in traffic. He may only have a slim amount of separation but if the football is pinpoint accurate, Shuler isn't going to be so distracted by the physically tight coverage that he doesn't end up catching it. He will finish those catches, and he will also maintain focus on the football even when a defender flashes between his eyes and the ball.

Overall I would not be tempted to rate him as a draftable receiver prospect despite his being very productive.

Tommy Shuler vs. Virginia Tech
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY742RnHn8Y

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Winston jamesin's dad said he's going to stay in college two more years to make sure he gets his degree..

Maybe it'll smarten that kid up..lol

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    His name is Jameis Winston. Criticizing a guy for being dumb while referring to him as Winston Jamesin is not a great look, lol. ;)

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    WR Dorial Green-Beckham, ex-Missouri, now-Oklahoma (Class: 2016)

Dorial Green-Beckham was once a 5-star recruit out of Springfield, Missouri in 2012. Some considered him the best recruit in the country. He committed to Missouri and produced 28 catches for 395 yards and 5 touchdowns as a true freshman, then followed up with 59 catches for 883 yards and 12 touchdowns as a sophomore.

He has been kicked out of Missouri by head coach Gary Pinkel after a series of arrests that included two arrests for possession of marijuana and was the subject of an investigation (no arrest, no charges) for allegedly barging into his girlfriend's apartment and assaulting one of her roommates.

According to reports and texts that were shared with media regarding the last arrest, DGB came to his girlfriend's apartment at about 2:30am (most likely drunk), and when the girlfriend's roommate tried to shut the door on him he threw it open hard enough for the door knob to break the drywall. The roommate tried to block his way on the stairs and he pushed her out of the way, causing her to fall down four steps and bruise her wrist (she refused medical attention). He then left the apartment with his girlfriend.

The next day the girlfriend had text conversations with the victim of the push pleading with her not to press charges on DGB, acknowledging her right to be furious but saying that pressing charges would ruin football for him and football really is the only thing he has going in his life. In the texts the girlfriend shared that she was angry at him too because "he drug me out by my neck and hurt me too". When the girlfriend was confronted by police about that claim she said she'd been drinking and didn't remember that. The roommate refused to press charges, claiming that she was afraid of reprisals from football fans who would be angry with her.

None of this is a defense of Dorial Green-Beckham. I'm just laying out the evidence as it's been presented in the media. DGB made a statement about his status and said, "I have been young and dumb. I want to be better. During my suspension I’m entering counseling. With help, I know I can be stronger emotionally and spiritually."

Now that we have that out of the way, we can get into why this guy could potentially be such a good football player.

He looks a full 6052 and 225 lbs. He's a giant on the football field, like Mike Evans. However, where at times Evans 2012 tape (when I evaluated him prior to his final year) left you hoping that he works on his speed a little more (which he did), Green-Beckham appears to already have more than legit speed for his size and strength profile. NFL Draft Scout estimates a 4.49 and taking one look at the way he's able to separate at the top of vertical routes, you can certainly believe that time.

If he has the kind of work ethic he'll need at the next level, you can believe he'll run even faster than that. What is better is there is no awkwardness of tightness in his movement. He has full range of hip motion. He can get vertical (jumping) at the drop of a hat and his ability to pluck the football out of the sky is tremendous.

Watching him run and jump around, if you pulled the camera out a bit and took everyone else off the field, you might believe that this is a 6'0" & 195 lbs player with all the ideal speed and agility you would expect for that body type. Yet he's better than 6'5" & 225 lbs. That is an extreme rarity. He is essentially Marqise Lee with an extra 5 inches and 30 lbs.

With the size he has, he's difficult to deal with after the catch as arm tackles fall right off him. He's not a wunderkind with the football in his hands like a Cordarrelle Patterson, nor does he boast the pure strength and explosiveness that Mike Evans had, but it probably doesn't matter. His tangibles should make him close to ideal with the football in his hands.

He is a true mismatch weapon. Teams attacked him differently and I'm not sure any of it worked. Teams that worried about their small corners on him played him with bigger safeties and he victimized them with speed and athleticism. Small corners he victimized with size.

Is there a weakness? Sure. Even aside from the off field stuff which will be a tremendous weakness if it means bad things for his work ethic, there are issues on the field. Like a lot of bigger bodied guys he can be a little long in transitioning out of 2nd gear. There are little technical details like using his hands better to shed contact, the kind of stuff you don't expect a guy in his second year out of high school to have mastered yet. He was not consistent in 2013. He had a ludicrous 100 yard, 4 touchdown performance against Kentucky but there were stretches where he produced 20 or 30 yards a game. There were extraneous quarterback and offensive issues which probably explain a lot of that, but it's still an area of investigation.

Right now DGB is being told by some people around him that he is better off not playing football in 2014 and just entering the draft in 2015. He has the god-given talent to pull that off and still get drafted in the 1st round. He's also mulling the idea of transferring to someplace like Oklahoma, who was in the running for his letter of commitment right to the end.

Personally, I think if he plays a year of ball at Eastern Illinois, that would help him out. He doesn't have to worry about not getting noticed as EIU was 12-2 a year ago under Dino Babers and could continue to make noise in the FCS playoffs even with a new coaching staff. That should earn lots of attention and even some television coverage. Further, the quarterback at EIU this year is set to be Andrew Manley who held scouts' attention with New Mexico State and is high on their list of seniors to watch for 2015, so not only would DGB have quality quarterback play but he'll also have scouts constantly at the games to watch both he and Manley. That has the potential to be a very symbiotic relationship.

Bottom line is if this guy is not at the top of your board for 2015 wide receivers purely on talent, then I'd have to question that. Put it this way. When you're trying to contextualize his talent level, you're not comparing it to others in his class. You're comparing it to other classes altogether. You're contextualizing it relative to a guy like Calvin Johnson.

You may end up knocking him off your board because of his off field issues but I don't know that I see another talent out there in the 2015 or 2016 classes that compares with him. Randy Moss was kind of a scumbag coming out of college. Nobody cares about that now. Just sayin.

Dorial Green-Beckham vs. Kentucky
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2YHDUarbQ&feature=player_embedded

2013 Highlights:
    [video=youtube;9RbScAlzrJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RbScAlzrJM[/video]