1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prospects for 2016

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ssmiami

ssmiami Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Well looks like we'll be picking in top10, Hargreaves CB, Bosa DE, really intrest me, not sure of what LT to look for yet

2. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    It's early but it sure looks like it right now. Gotta see how the process plays out but I'm not sure there's a player I'd take over Hargreaves right now for our team..I just think he's that good. Love Bosa though wouldn't be mad about that.

Going to be another draft with too many needs to fill. Hopefully some young guys show something in the coming weeks

Fin4Ever and ssmiami like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I would be ****ing tickled pink with Vernon Hargreaves.

Fin4Ever, MiamiDolphin618 and ssmiami like this.
  4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I have mentioned UCLA DT Kenny Clark before. I still like him, especially as I compare him with some of the other higher rated DTs out there. The activity level is just different, and so are his hands, ability to affect both phases.

Fin4Ever and ssmiami like this.
  5. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    Only seen him a handful of times but his hands are what stood out to be. Violent hands

Fin4Ever and ckparrothead like this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Exactly.

Reminds me of Kawann Short.

7. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    Jason Spriggs the LT for IU can flat out play. He's going to get a huge test today with Ohio St...interested to see how he does.

Also cannot wait to see some Hargreaves vs Treadwell...I'm guessing he will follow him around most of the game. Another chance for Hargreaves to show why he is IMO the best player in this class

8. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    Jayron Kearse is an impressive specimen...looking forward to watch him against ND.

Another physical Dynamo is Harvey-Clemons at Louisville. Transfer from Georgia. He's listed at 6'5 230..he looks like a damn DE out there playing safety and he can play. He was all over the field against Auburn a few weeks ago. Going to continue monitoring him...unique skill set.

We we clearly have a need at both CB and S. This draft looks to offer some solid options at both positions.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd add a third of Clemson's defense to Miami. Mackenzie Alexander at CB. Shaq Lawson at RDE. Kearse at S. possibly Boulware at ILB. Kearse might need to move to SS in the NFL. Kid has the potential to become a 230 pounder by the time he fully matures. Fiery and incredibly passionate about the game. Not sure if he's the next Kam Chancellor but it's within the realm of possibility.

Fin4Ever, MiamiDolphin618 and ssmiami like this.
  10. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Looks like top 5 pick or higher

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    who?

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Miami

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    who the hell would wanna draft us right now?

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Rex Ryan's wife may want to draft our head coach for an evening.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He's probably too tired from f***ing us all season to **** anyone else ATM. Granted, Joe does seem like the type who spends Friday night painting his toes and sliding those hairless piggies into a dozen pair of high heels to feel pretty.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I meant the strapping young lad that is now our head coach.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Oh yeah.

Wait, so when did you start profiling feet on the side? :p

18. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    According to CK, big d*ck = big feet

19. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    Love the coaching change..but still so many problems. I'd love to go on a huge run..love it...but I Just have that feeling we are going to win just enough to play ourselves out of a guy like Hargreaves.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  20. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    Lawson was a wrecking ball against ND when I was watching. I like Kearse a lot...maybe more than I should. I think he could play free or strong...his long speed seems just okay but he's so long he compensates. Seems to have good awareness back there as well.

21. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Myles Jack is entering the draft. Will be interesting to see where he gets drafted with that ACL. He would fit a need for Miami.

22. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well he withdrew from UCLA..... That to me already puts a red flag on commitment issues... with a late round pick hes worth a shot

23. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    lol commitment issues? he can always go back to school later

to me he's getting a head start and focusing on rehabbing for the NFL.

24. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think you've got to consider what defense you are running for a guy like Jack. He's not going to fit every defense and every position.

There's been a lot more of these guys recently coming out, and at a certain point it does become a matter of value to find a spot for these guys.

25. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Miami may be running a different defensive scheme next year, but I just think good teams can utilize Jack's athleticism and coverage ability to help combat today's pass happy schemes. Also, I don't see any LB on Miami with his skill set. Jenkins is somewhat comparable, and the only guarantee for a starting spot next year, IMO.

I'm not saying he's a slam dunk by any means, and I'm curious as to why he withdrew. Hopefully, it's to get a head start on rehab and focus on just playing LB, since he played some RB too.

26. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the thing is with that is that Jelani Jenkins is already a guy you need to "protect". There are some schemes where you can do that for some guys, but some you can't. If you're running Ray Horton's defense next year where your base defense isn't far from a Bear front you can line up whatever you want. If you're lining up someone going eyeball to eyeball with a Guard you gotta get a bigger guy.

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    When you have a guy like Suh who can pressure the QB from the interior and blow up plays in the backfield, it allows you to sacrifice some pass rush ability at DE in base D in order to create a more physical front that's capable of controlling the LOS and shutting down the run. IMO you go with a big, long, athletic guy at SDE who might not be a great pass rusher off the edge in base D but can get after the QB in nickel when shifted inside. Now, if you can do that AND add a big physical weak-side end like Ziggy Ansah who can also get after the QB, you're really cookin'. Interior pass-rush pressure [the disruption of passing lanes and the prevention of QBs from stepping up in the pocket to avoid pressure] is highly important IMO in today's quick-pass NFL.

So my preference is to have a strong-side DE who doubles as a great nickel rushing DT.... as well as have an OLB-hybrid who doubles as a premier nickel edge-rusher. It's very organic, plus offers improved blitzing potential and a wider variety of looks in base D. The DE slides over to DT... the OLB slides up to DE... done... simple. Only 1 substitution is needed- nickel corner for a DT.

28. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Speaking of Ray Horton, what's his story? He was an upcoming name for potential HC candidates a few years ago, but I haven't heard much lately. I think LeBeau may be running the defense in Tenn, even though Ray has the D Coordinator title.

29. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I'm assuming you're a fan of schemes in Seattle and now Atlanta...4-3 under, hybrid type? I thought Miami ran something similar Philbin's first year when Odrick played the "big end".

I like our DT depth, but I'm not comfortable at CB, S, or LB. Plus, DE may also be a need if Vernon leaves (someone remind him he's in a contract year), and Wake isn't getting younger. Maybe Shelby as the "big end"? Who do you like in the draft to play one or both types of DE spots you described?

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Very much so. Love the scheme.... and especially love that it opens up your draft thanks to employing both 3-4 and 4-3 principles. Allows you to utilize the best player available approach to the highest degree. If there's a 5-tech DE or a tweener pass rusher you like who's slid down the draft, take him. Enamored by a particular 4-3 DT? take him too. Plus having 3 big bodies along the D-line provides greater flexibility for using Suh. If you wanna mix it up and kick him out to end, you've got a 5-tech already on the field who can slide inside to DT w/o any need for substitutions. Can't do that with Wake & Vernon both on the field.

ATM I think the greatest net value would be seen by pairing Nkemdiche with Suh, and he's already comfortable on the left side.
    I was a fan of Oakman last year but haven't seen him yet this year. Obviously he'd be Vernon's replacement which wouldn't upset me the least.

Jordan Phillips would be interesting as the jumbo end [ala Red Bryant a few years ago]. Cut Earl Mitchell and sign Terrance Knighton as his replacement. Draft Oakman. That's some serious size & length at DE and some improved beef in the middle. Offensive lines wouldn't be able to throw the kitchen sink at Suh as heavily.

ILDolPhan likes this.
  31. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing that scheme implemented, but we would need to add several pieces via the draft and FA to make it work. I obviously think the LB's need redone similar to how the WR's core was this past offseason. Also, that scheme emphasizes larger, press corners, so we'd need a couple new corners there. Grimes wouldn't be an ideal fit, is getting up their in age, and his spouse/agent is helping to make that decision easier.

I like your idea of using Jordan Phillips as a jumbo end. Oklahoma is the college team I follow the closest (even though I'm not a fan of the BIG 12 offensive schemes), and Phillips is very athletic for his size. His issue was motivation, so that's why Suh should be a good mentor for me.

ToddPhin likes this.
  32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    We need new corners regardless, right, so it's a great time to make the switch, and Grimes is disposable like you say. Tony Lippett is 6'2 195 and would fit nicely. Pick up a pair of plug-and-play starters in FA to open up the draft for a premium DE.

Here's a scenario that probably won't happen but should: Trade Vernon now for extra draft ammo. Trade Wake in the offseason. Now we've got extra ammo to trade up for Nkemdiche and Cam's salary freed up to sign Greg Hardy.

Nkemdiche [6'4 295] - Suh [6'4 307] - Phillips [6'5 330] - Hardy [6'4 281]
    That's one big badass defensive front, but w/ the athleticism of a group weighing 20% less.
    Then add a pass-rushing animal at SAM who moves up to DE in nickel while Phillips steps out. Oh boy. We really wouldn't need world beaters at corner. Gives us the ability to shut down the run on early downs to make offenses one-dimensional.... and then the ability to terrorize QBs on 3rd down.

compare that to:
    Wake [6'2 258] - [Suh 6'4 307] - Mitchell [6'2 296] - Vernon [6'2 265]
    That's 88 additional pounds and 7 additional inches in height, plus the added arm length.

LBsFinest likes this.
  33. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That Nick Chubb injury is soooooo gruesome. Yikes.

[video=youtube;CPd_d6NGz5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPd_d6NGz5A[/video]

34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree that Nkemdiche is the best value, and IMO, is the best-case scenario for Miami in the draft. I still think you could keep Cameron Wake next year. That is, provided he shows well over the remaining 12 games; essentially making him the "Cliff Avril position in Seattle" and maybe you look at signing someone like Bruce Irvin in free agency. I don't think Irvin would command top dollar, can play SAM and you can use him as a pass-rusher in all manner of packages.

Fin4Ever, ToddPhin and ssmiami like this.
  35. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    He is young so he may be able to make a full recovery from this but the early stuff im reading is dont expect him back till 2017. This is the Ware/Baron Davis/Livingston type of leg injury.

36. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I know we drafted Parker but man I want Josh Doctson on this team.. His catch radius is ridiculous, unreal..

37. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Last night was the first time I watched Cal this season, and I wasn't too impressed with Goff. His OL wasn't helping a lot, especially later in the game to be fair.

And I am sure there is more to it than just him, but a career record of 0-7 vs AP ranked opponents would give me pause (I'd have to look closer at each game).

38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Can't fault the record really. Cal is known for abysmal defense. Hell, they gave up 40+ and an all-time type game from a redshirt QB to the Longhorns a few weeks back. Goff is about the only thing that has gotten them to this point, though fair to say the game yesterday was not great.

39. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Goff is going to be the quarterback of the first round but the quarterback i mostly like from the next draft class is Brandon Doughty..

Fin4Ever likes this.
  40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Will be surprised if Irvin doesn't join Dan Quinn in Atlanta next year.
    A 34 yr old Wake at this stage should be a situational pass rusher b/c of his left-side-only status. It's pointless to waste him on early downs when he's clearly not a better closed end on early downs than a edge-rusher in passing downs, and it's been that way the past few years. So for me, I'd rather get a draft pick out of him and use his annual salary on Greg Hardy who is a full time starter, isn't on the decline, and doesn't hinder or limit the defensive scheme the way Cam does on early downs.

Greg Hardy should be signed just because how much difficulty New England has blocking him. He was killin' Solder. To hell with what Hardy did off the field b/c he's mean & physical on it and would be an ideal compliment to Suh. When 1/4 of the D-line is already comprised of the nastiest DT in the game, it should be the team's objective to create the league's baddest and most physical defensive front. Trade Cam and use that pick to trade up for Nkemdiche, sign Hardy, and suddenly we're a bit of Jordan Phillips' development away from achieving the goal. JMO.

ssmiami likes this.