1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychology Of Depression

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by anlgp, Dec 10, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I didn't know where to put this, but seeing as a lot of people get depressed around this time of year (myself included) I figured this would be a good article to post.

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=438&cn=5

It's quite lengthy. In fact length doesn't even describe the size of this. It's 60 pages. But it has all sorts of stuff on the topic. This page that I followed the link to had this quote

which I believe is entirely possible. At any rate if the above quote isn't your cup of tea there are 59 other pages ready and willing to try and explain what depression is ..

mods please move if this is in the wrong place.

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Thanks for the post. What a refrence! Interesting on how it approaches depression from a variety of models. Supports the conclusion that depression is not one disease but a family of diseases caused and held by a variety of means.

dolphindebby likes this.
  3. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    my take is that once you suffer from depression, you always will. sure maybe sometime you will be happy but it will be back.

4. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    that's depressing

5. Ohiophinphan

Given that depression is a disease, you are correct. Think of diabetes, you may have your sugar under complete control but still the disease haunts you. Depression can be treated and lived with very, very well but it will always be there. What a person with the disease learns, hopefully, is how to manage it so the symptoms are minimal. That can/does happen.

dolphindebby likes this.
  6. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Reading this article/book is even more depressing. I'm going to beat MDD. It doesn't have to be forever.

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yeah I don't enjoy reading up on it myself. We talk about it sometimes in the classes I'm taking anyway, so I get my knowledge of it that way.

I hope you beat it you know where to get a hold of me :)

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not know. I do not see my depression coming back. If I get depressed again, it will be an entirely new depression.

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    be happy you dont suffer with vertigo

i deal with it all day every day

talk about depression i know it very well

you learn to deal with it

not a doc out there can solve it

10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    how many docs out there can solve your lack of punctuation while writing? :shifty:

adamprez2003 and unluckyluciano like this.
  11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My GAD is painful as **** (General Anxiety). I fight it, I fight hard. I know I can do what I want to do in this life, I'm confident no doubt almost insane as far as willing to improve constantly. It just hurts though, it hurts so ****ing bad and I'm 22. I've lost a little bit of hair a bit early and I don't want medication. But I thought about killing myself once. My grandma prayed no and I didn't.

Boik14 likes this.
  12. Ohiophinphan

I am glad you didn't. Life is tough. We are here to help each other along the path.

Rocky Raccoon and Jaj like this.
  13. anditsgood

anditsgood Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    its all about how you deal with it. Just remember, there is always someone out there that has it worse than you