1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Put Up or Shut Up Time

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Nov 29, 2010.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well, its been debated ad naseum. Im sure it will continue to be debated...but Im drawing a line in the sand. Time to make your call..we've seen enough to put up or shut up.

Put your name down...and make your call. Is Chad Henne our franchise QB and do you believe he will develop into a Pro Bowl QB. Yes or No.

Me first.

No question in my mind. Yes he is our franchise QB, and Yes he will develop into a Pro Bowl QB.

Who's next?

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Derek Anderson once made a pro bowl. It doesn't mean a whole lot.

The odds are against Henne being a franchise qb simply because there are so few of those guys. Is he a qb that is going to be 10 year starter? I doubt it.

mullingan and Stitches like this.
  3. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am next and I am going with a strongly worded "Maybe"

In all seriousness, I dont think we have seen enough. IMO, he has the physical tools to be great. The question to me is does he have the mental ability? I think he has made progress in that he is progressing through his receiving options. The next step for him IMO is understanding the defenses that he sees and the weak spot in those defense. I think once he gets that down he will stop missing wide open receivers.

He also needs a speed receiver and a TE to help him out.

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Yes he is our QB now and the future.

Can he be Pro Bowl player? Yes, but it won't be easy with all the good QB's in the AFC

baboo72 and GMJohnson like this.
  5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Can he be a franchise QB? Yes, I think he can. I don't care about the Pro Bowls, I care about the playoffs. It's my belief that if we upgrade our running game (and by that I mean RBs and the interior OL) and maybe add a speed receiver and/or another receiving TE, Henne can take us far. I'd imagine Dan Henning won't be asked back next year, and with an offense that better plays to Henne's strengths, I'm pretty confident he's got the arm and is developing the eyes/mind for the game.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Brian Hartline is going to emerge as annual 1000 yd Wr our first in Miami since Irving Fryar.

mullingan likes this.
  7. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    I'll let you know in 2 weeks after the Jets game. :hi5:

Stitches likes this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Do you mean our 1st with back to back 1,000yd seasons or just a 1,000 season since Fryar?

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, do I need a lawyer before I answer any questions?

:chuckle:

Every yr Stitches, Chambers had 1k yds back in the day, but since then...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  10. vt_dolfan

Ahemmm...

Focus on Henne though Pads

11. vt_dolfan

Thats why its the perfect time to make a prediction...

12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Nope just '05 Pod.

13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    He has a great chance to be the man. Am I convinced he is, naw.

Stitches likes this.
  14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The last time I said something about Henne as to what he will or would not do, he got benched. Maybe its just coincidence, but something tells me I should stay far, far away from this thread.

vt_dolfan, ToddsPhins and DHPVW like this.
  15. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    That is about my stance. I think he might be, but we won't know until he either is or isn't. It's sorta like one of my parishioners said at a meeting... "Is you is or is you ain't?" The response was "I don't know yet!" But, I am not in any big hurry to draft the next big thing as QB.

16. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I seriously don't know, and I don't want to say I think he CAN'T be our franchise QB.
    But if forced to make a prediction at this point, going just on what I've seen so far, I would have to choose no. He doesn't seem to have the instincts that the elite QBs have.

17. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Jury is still out for me. I'll make my own assessment at the end of the season. Honestly, I could go either way right now. I need to see more.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Henne won't be a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, or a Marino either, since that is the bar for a lot of folks. But he can be a Troy Aikman type QB, provided he has the tools around him. Now that the defense is on good footing, I think we should spend this years draft focusing on offensive play makers and a new coordinator. Then we'll know what we've got in the Henne.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The benching worked though Conu, we are 2-1 since and the one loss Henne couldn't play in.

I do think that this is a key time for Henne and the offense, and really the team.

The Defense is showing consistent signs of being top 8, from an organizational standpoint though, is that what you want? If not do your pour resources into the offense?

Or "finish" the Defense?

20. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Chris Chambers (2005) and OJ McDuffie (98) both have recorded 1000 yard receiving season since Fryar... unless you are talking about going back to back seasons with 1000 yards. In that case you are right I.F. was the last guy to go back to back (93,94).

BTW, I think Marshall does it before Hartline. And I think both Hartline and Bess have a shot at it this year (outside shot).

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just my hunch but I think BM's hammy is worse than we are being told.

As for Hartline, just a feeling, he is hard to compare to any current Wr, maybe Keenean McCardell with better speed?

As for BM, I hope so, we have not had duel 1k Wr's since either the early 90's or mid 80's.

22. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Tony Martin did it more recently than McDuffie too.

23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's how I feel too..... all of it actually, but with the potential to be a borderline Brady type guy 5 years from now (remembering that Brady really didn't become the Brady we know until his 5th or 6th year IIRC ????).

I don't necessarily see him as a perennial ProBowler, but I do see him going a couple of times while ranking consistently in the top 8 during another 10 years here. With a solid defense and the right tools, Henne could be a great leader/game-manager for this particular team..... and as he becomes more seasoned, I see him as a guy who will play within himself well, won't cost us games, but can be counted on to win some in the clutch.

Bottom line for me: IMO he'll be good enough for us to win multiple Super Bowls with.

24. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    you are right... I missed martin who went over 1K the year after OJ

25. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I for one am a supporter of Henne. I think that he is and can be the QB of the future. Like most I do believe that the OC needs to be changed though to further help Henne grow and play to his strengths. Marino no....but Henne yes!

26. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes and yes. I'm a believer.

27. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    Agree 100%

28. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have always and continue to believe that he is our guy for the foreseeable future .... i have no reason yet to doubt that.

Pro Bowl is another thing all together .... are we asking, can he earn a Pro Bowl nod during his tenure -- sure .... given the right circumstances, etc .... if we are asking - is Henne going to be a perenial Pro Bowl candidate ... i just can't go there at this point, regardless of how much i believe that he can lead this team to more than 1 SB in his time here. More importantly, i could care less whether he ever earns a Pro Bowl nod ....

29. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Padre, not sure Hartline will actually have the chance to put up back to back 1K yard seasons the way its shaping up .... the more Moore and 'Lit'le Beast' show ... it will likely end up costing him reps along the line.

We are actually getting to where we have WRs that bring differing abilities to the field in Marshall, Hartline, Bess, Moore and Wallace. Noting that Moore and Hartline, and Marshall and Wallace are 'similar' ... but different.

The only 'positive' of Marshall's injury is that Moore and Wallace are going to get reps and experience for next year .... even though, as i've stated - that Henne needs to spend some off-season time with all 5 working on timing and anticipation; regardless of whether we go out and get another speed demon / playmaker to add to the mix.