Q for tor the real techies

9 replies

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew MemberOP
Feb 6, 2009, 04:28 AM

The bane of my existence. I want it the **** OFF MY COMPUTER!!!

I'm talking about Microsoft's Data Execution Prevention.

It keeps crashing Firefox. The dialogue window says that FF was performing a function that used too much memory. :rolleyes:

Funny thing: it doesn't crash IE. Ever.

It makes my blood boil, that they put something on my computer that backhandedly sabotages their competition.

Oh, and when I try to disable it, it says I can't. Never mind uninstalling it...

I'm running Vista Ultimate.

Please help. I want this curse lifted.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 05:02 AM

Obligatory stupid question.

Have you googled it?

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 06:17 AM

"anlgp wrote:

Obligatory stupid question.

Have you googled it?

:pity: Yes. No help.

There's a way to configure it to except certain programs, but it will NOT let me except Firefox.

I have it set to "turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only;" and it still ****s with Firefox.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 06:24 AM

install opera.

www.opera.com

or

k-meleon

?

see if it ****s with them.

opera is a better bet.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 06:49 AM

"anlgp wrote:

install opera.

www.opera.com

or

k-meleon

?

see if it ****s with them.

opera is a better bet.

I had Opera once; can't remember why, but I ended up uninstalling it.

Downloaded Chrome - and was VERY disappointed for it being a Google product. It has NOTHING. It's like chiseling on stone tablets.

What am I, an Afghani or something? How should I live without my toolbars?

GatorDrew84GatorDrew84New Member
Feb 6, 2009, 09:26 AM

You have a couple of options...

1. Go to Control Panel and look for the "System" icon. You may have to switch to "Classic View" which can be done by clicking on the link to the left.

2. Once the System window opens, click "Advanced System Settings" under Tasks on the left.

3. Click on the "Advanced" tab.

4. Under the "Performance" section click "Settings"

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab

6. Click on the second radio button.

7. Now, click on the "Add" button.

8. In the window that pops up, navigate to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and select "firefox.exe"

9. Now, click Apply then Ok. Close out of all those windows. You may need to restart Windows.

The second option.

Download Windows Ultimate Tweaker. I freakin love this program. Link here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate_Windows_Tweaker.html

Download link: http://www.winvistaclub.com/download/Ultimate%20Windows%20Tweaker.zip

Once download, unzip it, and open it up. No installation needed.

1. Go to the "System and Performance" link on the left.

2. Bottom right there's a checkbox for "Turn off Data Execution Prevention (DEP)" check that and then click Apply and Exit.

3. Restart your computer.

Note: The great thing about this program is the "Restore Defaults" button. So, feel free to fidget around and screw with sliders, etc. Remember what you've done though. If anything screws up your computer too much, just undo it or click the "Restore Defaults" button.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 07:20 PM

"GatorDrew84 wrote:

...The second option.

Download Windows Ultimate Tweaker. I freakin love this program. Link here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate_Windows_Tweaker.html

Download link: http://www.winvistaclub.com/download/Ultimate%20Windows%20Tweaker.zip

Once download, unzip it, and open it up. No installation needed.

1. Go to the "System and Performance" link on the left.

2. Bottom right there's a checkbox for "Turn off Data Execution Prevention (DEP)" check that and then click Apply and Exit.

3. Restart your computer.

Note: The great thing about this program is the "Restore Defaults" button. So, feel free to fidget around and screw with sliders, etc. Remember what you've done though. If anything screws up your computer too much, just undo it or click the "Restore Defaults" button.

Brilliant! That's a neat little app, thanks for taking the time to show me.

In return, I shall promise not to root against the Gators.

For one game. :lol:

GatorDrew84GatorDrew84New Member
Feb 11, 2009, 12:53 AM

Awesome, thanks.

I grew up a Cane fan. If the Canes were to play the Gators, I would root for the Canes. Any other Saturday, Go Gators!

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Feb 13, 2009, 11:25 AM

"NaboCane wrote:

I had Opera once; can't remember why, but I ended up uninstalling it.

Downloaded Chrome - and was VERY disappointed for it being a Google product. It has NOTHING. It's like chiseling on stone tablets.

What am I, an Afghani or something? How should I live without my toolbars?

I find Chrome to be much lighter and faster than the other browsers. I still use Firefox but sometimes I start up Chrome when I just want to surf.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Feb 13, 2009, 11:27 AM

Windows Tweak UI is not "real techie" like.

It is helpful though.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl