1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Dec 27, 2010.

1. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I wouldn't object if the phins took both. Gabbert working the sidelines is a pretty sight.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sheesh that is a fine looking Qb prospect, great release, can throw off of his back foot, throw into small windows.

One caveat is 4 and 5 wide sets are not the norm in the NFL, and Iowa is not putting any pressure on him from what I watched.

3. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Washington D.C
    Take a bow Chris. This kid is our guy. I.hope Luck declares so Gabbert falls into our lap

4. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    He can really throw the football, but I wonder how he does against the blitz in general. Iowa doesn't blitz much, but they have on at least one occasion in this game, and it really surprised Gabbert.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's up and down IMO. He has some taletn as a backup but I wouldn't take him higher than 4/5.

6. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Stanzi reminds me of Chad Pennington... for whatever that is worth.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    His decison making is not nearly as good as Pennington's IMO.

8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Usually I agree with you.. 99% of the time probably. I think "up and down" describes Stanzi last year. This year, however... he has been great. Definitely worth a 3rd round pick... at the very worst, 4th round pick. IMO.

9. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think he'd have to sit a year in the pros... Missouri doesn't really run a pro style offense. Great fundamentals though.

I don't blame him for being surprised about Iowa blitzing... I bet Iowa blitzes like 2% of defensive snaps.

10. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Washington D.C
    With the 16th selection in the 2011 NFL draft the Miami Dolphins select Blaine Gabbert-Quarterback from Missouri

SICK and sports24/7 like this.
  11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I hope this isn't a Phillip Rivers repeat where at first we were wondering if he was good enough to use a mid round 1st on, then were just hoping he was still there, then realized there was no chance. I still say trade up if you need to in order to get one of these top guys.

12. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Considering that we have no second round pick due to the foolish Brandon Marshall trade, and the fact that we still haven't recovered from blowing 2nd and 3rd round picks in the 2009 draft, trading up is a cost that is prohibitive at this point. To even think about moving up to get a Luck or possibly a Gabbert/Mallett would take most of the picks the team has. This team cannot afford to just throw picks around like that. IMO, this team needs to move back in the draft and get more picks, beef up the offensive line, and grab a QB in the middle rounds like a TJ Yates, Ben Chappell, or Pat Devlin that can come in and compete with Chad Henne for the job. If you sacrafice the future to move up for Luck, Gabbert, or Mallett, then you have sacraficed your means of building a team around those players.

13. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If you want to go offense line, would you suggest trading down then and try to get back a 2nd round pick? That's what I am thinking... I'd like Mark Ingram personally, but I recognize the deficiency at offense line... so I could understand trading down to grab some linemen.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think one year makes up for the last few years. JMO but I still think he's pretty up down and shaky. I wouldn't be comfortable taking him that high.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think this is surprising about Gabbert's play.

Boomer likes this.
  16. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I would agree, but he's shown improvement every year. He still has his mental lapses, but most quarterbacks do. Maybe a 3rd round pick is too high, but a 4th round pick seems fair.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Can you blame Iowa for not blitzing? Lol I don't. They've got a strong front four and they play Quarters behind it. That usually leads to enough guys against the run and you still have guys in coverage.

18. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The spread matches up well against Iowa's defense... Parker is not really known for adapting.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, drafting Qb's, outside of the obvious Top 4 types, is more art than science, literally it can wind up in any number of ways on draft day, we call can recall Quinn and Rodgers sitting in the green room like kids whose parents forgot they were still at school that is just how things crumble sometimes.

I do think getting Edds and Odrick back will be helpful, but I also think if we really want to take a Qb at #16 one will be there for us.

Not in favor of that happening but who knows how things will shake out with the Staff and Front Office?

Would be interesting if Henne catches fire in 2011 and we do take a rookie at #16..optimism!

20. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Of course not, but Parker has ALWAYS been like this. It's his style of play. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it... I'm just saying it's how Parker runs his defense. He is as stubborn as they get, but it's hard to hate on him because his defenses are usually very good.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't necessarily agree. Parker usually just widens his OLB's and still ends up in Quarters, with bracket coverage on outside receivers. I don't think that's a bad adaptation.

22. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Goddamnit.. Alen, I take it back. Stanzi's stock is falling. This is your fault. Had I just kept my mouth shut, Iowa would be winning and Stanzi would be playing ungodly. :(

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    And this game kind of supports my point. These last three drives he's been real shaky with decison making. :)

24. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    He has had, in the past (he has been in the hospital a lot this year with his diabetes), linebackers covering receivers on a consistent basis. Man on man. I am not comfortable with linebackers on receivers, but that's just me. Like I said though, great coordinator... just stubborn in his ways.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Man coverage? Not from what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong but I've watched Norm Parker's defenses closely for the last two years - not this year because of the reasons you mention -and he's played either 2 or 4 coverage. Again I could be wrong but I think Norm's done a pretty damn good job adjusting.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well let me toss my .02 in on that, assuming Sparano stays, we could have our LG on the roster in Nate Garner, we also would have our Center in Richie Incognito, that leaves RG and potentially RT as John Jerry has been just bad, and Vern C could be let go due to a 7 million dollar salary and knee issues.

That would mean a competition at RG or RT, and perhaps out of Barbrie and Feinga and Jerry or even Berger we could have most of the solution on the Roster at RG that leaves RT and supposedly that is fairly easy to fill.

27. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Pretty sure in the past he's run a lot of man, I could be wrong.

Thank you, Micah Hyde. I love that kid!

28. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What you say has merit, but IMO it's time to invest in a big time QB prospect. This team won't be successful until it has a good QB. You would be making a sacrifice, but using a mix of future picks, current picks, and players (assuming there is a new CBA) you can work a trade if need be to move up a few spots for one of these guys. If you really fall in love with a guy like Devlin and know you can move back and still get him, then fine. If not you have to make a play for one of the big time guys.

It is more art than science, but you need to find the right players at QB and target one of them. If you think he'll be there at 16 thats perfect, if not you have to look into moving up. I agree there will most likely be a QB there at 16, but you may be left with guys like Mallett and Locker. You can't just take a QB to take a QB, it has to be the right guy. And if Henne catches fire and we get a good QB at 16, then that's a great problem to have.

dolfan22 likes this.
  29. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Man that was one of the dumbest,inexcusable INTs I have seen in a very very long time. Throw the ball away and line up for the next play. Instead you lost the game on that play. I really liked how he looked but when the pocket broke down he was TERRIBLE...not bad...but TERRIBLE

30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, overall I think this was a fine day for Gabbert even though he made the mistake that ultimately cost them the game. The guy showed why he's a high 1st round prospect, and he also showed the warts I talked about.

We're talking about 41 of 54 for 437 yards, 2 TDs (1 rushing), 2 INTs. One of those INTs was not at all his fault, he put the ball right on the guy in stride, tight coverage but the ball was THERE...the guy pops it up.

I think you see what I mean by being let down by his offense and receivers at times.

This guy was putting on a clinic until he did something he might not have done the entire year. He's scrambling, and instead of making a safe decision with the ball, he threw into a dicey situation and just plain misfired, paid for it in blood. But if you notice, a lot of what he did tonight was because he knew he was being watched. You look at his footwork on the drop...that was for the scouts. He's been sluggish with that all year long but in the month leading up to this game it looks to me like he knew what the scouts would want to see and he practiced it.

But you know what's awesome about that? His footwork was better, and it led to BETTER ACCURACY. He was a more accurate passer tonight than I had seen him. This guy's upside is tremendous. Don't let that ONE bad decision/throw fool you, he made more than enough super impressive throws throughout the night, and that interception was kind of uncharacteristic of what he does on the scramble.

dolfan22, Tin Indian and NyPhinfan like this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Uhhh...yeah. Whatever you saw out there, that's not what I saw.

32. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    You might be right as its only the second time I have seen him play but I can count at least 3 times when the pocket broke down that he lost sight of where to go with the ball. That INT maybe blinded me to all the really good throws he made but DAMN that was a horrible decision.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Possibly.

You talking about Gabbert or Stanzi? I was talking about Stanzi.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agree on all points. We're usually on the same page I think, other than Anthony Castonzo. ;)

Boomer likes this.
  35. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I was talking about Gabbert. He looked really good for 3 qtrs but he seemed to fall apart a bit in the 4th. Just throw that ball away and line up on 2nd down. Hate when a really good performance gets somewhat ruined by a really really dumb play. Know the game situation and come back and fight on the next play

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think he fell apart in the fourth quarter. I think he was pressured a few times and he didn't look horrible. The pick, the one that was actually his fault, was pretty bad, yeah but he's still a young guy. He made some excellent throws I thought and really, the last cornerback blitz from the boundary was unexpected. I don't think many people had that called.

NyPhinfan likes this.
  37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Btw, I thought he responded pretty well after the pick.

38. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    After reading some of the good points about his game tonight..maybe I am being too hard on the kid. Just really got into the game and he really had my interest going. Just hated that decision...yet..he is a kid. Definitly think this game helped him tremendously with the scouts but he still has some things he could work on.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Also good to keep in mind that one of the things that happened on that second interception, the ONE that was his fault as Alen points out, was what I've been complaining about (pretty sure I mentioned it in my writeup): his receivers do NOT generally help him out on the scramble. They don't uncover well, and they don't come back to him. On that play, DO SOMETHING! Either come back to the guy, or start sprinting back so that he can loft it to you. Ultimately that throw was the result of Gabbert thinking that he was on the same page with the WR, and as he's releasing the ball, he's seeing that they're not on the same page after all, and then the ball dribbles out like a wet fart because of the confusion and hesitation. The WR was I believe Wes Kemp. They've been roommates. They're supposed to be on the same page with one another. I've no doubt Gabbert was thinking, he sees what I see, he'll uncover and run toward the end zone so I can loft him the ball. But instead, he sits there like a bump on a log, not running toward Gabbert, not uncovering away from him, just sitting there acting like he's going to block a guy that has his back completely turned to him.

NyPhinfan likes this.
  40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not to beat a dead horse or anything here but the tendency on that interception is to see it and read into it. He pulled a Chad Henne, right? He's now a questionable decision maker under pressure.

But think about this. Think of the number of times you saw him on the move tonight, on the scramble, out of the pocket, under pressure, etc. There was nothing abnormal about the number of times he was pressured tonight, or the number of times he began creating with his feet. Over the last two seasons the guy has had the ball placed in his heads on a pass or run or scramble, whatever...1175 times. He has thrown now 18 interceptions the last two years. That's a 1.5% interception rate, with him scrambling as much as he does, with him being under pressure and rolling out of the pocket as much as he does. If he were a risky decision maker under pressure, he would not have a 1.5% interception rate over the last two years. He scrambles too much for that to be the case.

NyPhinfan likes this.