1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB problem solved...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hazed819, Nov 14, 2010.

1. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Thigpen bootleg left bootleg right.... and with the balls to make the plays haha. DISCUSS!

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Solved? If he is that good, why isn't he still starting for KC? I'd be willing to try him against the Bears (especially if Henne is iffy with the injury) but the guy went what, 4/6? Thats hardly indicative of his career as a whole.

3. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The reality is that he is a 3rd string QB for a reason. Yes he played well but chances are that he is not our Franchise guy.
    We simply do not know who that is.

4. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Thigpen is not in KC because PIOLI brought in his prospect Matt Cassel... That is the ONLY reason hes not there. All i know is that Thigpen marched the team into the endzone with ease..

smahtaz, Celtkin, Phins28 and 2 others like this.
  5. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Yea true... I am disappointed they didnt let him run the offense on the last drive to take a look at what they got to work with.

6. DHPVW

DHPVW DuB addict

Apr 1, 2010
    AZ-520
    I think he played well, but I don't think this little flash of good play earns him a start. He almost turned the ball over on his first attempt on an wide open pass to Bess. Think he is a good backup plan in the case Henne is really hurt. I just hate to see Pennington go out like that......guy is an awesome QB

7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It was so nice to watch a QB who can actually look downfied and make a play when scrambling.

Celtkin, gafinfan and Miguel like this.
  8. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Well unfortunately pennington is done or else id say he should be the starter. Henne has way more experience with the team and actually played well today. That being said, Thigpens mobility seems to be HUGE for our offense. Its a tough choice.

9. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Thigpen >sparkplug personified

10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If you have a franchise QB you don't ditch him for, what did we give up, a fifth? I don't care who is coming in, you don't do it. Thig played alright, but he wasn't a franchise QB or gamechanger, so they made a move. I'm not dissing the guy's play today, he did well. But over history he has been fairly average imo, at this point hoping he turns into a long term franchise QB "solution" is chasing fool's gold. I think he can do well for us in the short term and as a backup, but that's what I see as his role.

11. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    That year when he started at KC he was FANTASTIC with ZERO player around him.. He got shafted. I think after todays short performance he deserves a chance this week to start against the bears at home..

Phins28 and Clark Kent like this.
  12. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I'd like to just add 2 facts to the equation. Although Thigpen did look good with the exception of his first pass, he still has only played 1 quarter of football this season. Henne also played well I thought. It's a tough call, but my guess is that they give Thigpen a shot at the Bears, even if Henne is healthy.

Miguel likes this.
  13. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I love Thigpen Scrambling. I don't love his INT percentage.

BlameItOnTheHenne, SeanP and DHPVW like this.
  14. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I have to disagree. He's the 3rd string guy, but he's behind Henne, the named heir apparent, and Pennington, the veteran. Henne is the guy this FO specifically drafted and went after and has been grooming for 2 years. Thigpen was picked up as an additional QB last year after Pennington went down to make sure we had 3. He's far from your prototypical 3rd string QB in my opinion.

Not saying he's the answer, just saying I disagree with the argument that because he's 3rd string, he can't do the job.

15. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Ricky played a big part in it as well with those huge runs. Managed to finish the day with 65 yards or so because of it. Thigpen played well, but I'm skeptical still. Who knows, maybe the Chiefs had no run game or defense in 2008. But I'll wait before jumping on the bandwagon.

16. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Why is that, because running out the clock wouldn't have made any sense?

17. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Henne is no fanchise QB man sorry... QB game manager is not my idea of a franchise QB... Will he win games... maybe but he doesnt make plays man. Thigpen came in and 1 series made an awesome play to roll out of the pocket keep the play alive and get fasano downfield. Henne would NEVER do that. its tough man but i gotta say let Thigpen start Thursday, if **** starts to go south and Henne is ready to go throw him in 2nd half. We need a spark on the offensive side of the ball and I just saw Thigpen move this ball nicely and end it with a TD.

18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Jesus.... everyone wanted to dump Thigpen to keep Pat White and a couple series off the bench in a game and he's now the future of the Miami QB position? He's had consistency, accuracy issues and INT issues that have kept him from becoming a solid starter in the league and that's why KC was willing to let him go.

Be thankful he performed well off the bench for us but the franchise QB comments are amusing at this point.

19. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Umm because we got a game in 4 days maybe? Because our starting QB got knocked out in 2 plays? Because our backup QB has problem scoring TD's? Maybe because our anemic offense needs the work? I can think of many more but this is just a few.

20. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    QFT. Thigpen can play. He isn't in the same league as Manning, but the kid has skills. He's the best QB on the roster who isn't hurt. I'm glad he played well today. Makes it much easier to start him.

21. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Umm I didnt start this thread saying anothing about Thigpen being a franshice qb, but in a quarter of football he showed me something we been missing at QB. Either way this dude might be the solution for the time being who knows. We need work this off season reguardless.

22. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    How lucky are we that we have 3 QB's that we can plug in at any time? That depth really saved us today.

That being said, if Penny, or Henne can play. they play. Since Sparano changed to Penny, he'll get the nod if both can go. If Penny cant, then its Henne. If neither of them, then its thiggy, and whoever we bring in off the street as the backups.

23. Tepop84

Tepop84 Banned

Sep 13, 2010
    No way Henne starts over thigpen.

24. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Isn't it exiting to watch the offense light up and make 7 points?

FinsAreLife likes this.
  25. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The QB choice is fine, but what formation do you run. You have to change it up, with Tigpen. He's not a traditional QB at all.

26. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I'm sure Pats fans felt that way when they saw Brady walk onto the field, too, 6th rounder that he was.

27. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hes the ONLY QB on the roster who isnt hurt....

Watch out genius at work.....

28. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I'll give Thigpen the benefit of the doubt thats for sure.

Update from twitter: Pennington's locker was cleaned out, Henne's was not. Take it for what you will. Henne may be fine though, but we may have a little QB controversy now. Henne is on crutches with ice though.

29. vt_dolfan

Really....we went empty backfield....marched down the field...and scored a TD.....

That was sluggish?

30. vt_dolfan

The same people yelling Thigpen is our saviour....

Are the same people that are gonna throw him under the bus when he throws a bad pick and we lose.....hope you have more patience with Thigpen then you did with Henne

Phinperor and RevRick like this.
  31. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Believe what you want, but Henne is the reason we won this game...Thigpen just put the nail in the coffin. Henne should be, and remain, our starter. They (Henning) actually opened the field for him today with 5 wr sets and he took over with his arm. IMO this whole discussion needs to end. Also, as much as I love and respect Pennington, he's done as a pro due to health. Thigpen is a great backup to have, and played well today late in the game, but I do not see him consistently doing well. He does well on the run, but he doesn't have the touch, accuracy, and power of Henne.

Stitches, NJFINSFAN1 and vt_dolfan like this.
  32. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, people are gonna hate Henne regardless, that's a given. I thought he did well, and liked that he took some shots deep.

The only thing that bothers me is that the team looked flat with him in there. Not sure if him being benched lost him some respect, but you could see the frustration with some of his teammates.

33. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Henne is a robot, he shows no emotion. Thigpen comes in and throws a TD and goes crazy. That's what this team needs.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  34. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    This is an excellent point and i agree with you mostly. That beig said, there was something about Thigpens mobility that really seemed to fit in well in our offense.

Phinperor likes this.
  35. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    So you think that it would be better to risk the game? Somehow I doubt that set of plays will be a make or break. The staff gets to see what these guys do in preseason and during the week. How about they concentrate on closing the game which is what they did.

36. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I do not know if he is the answer but his td to int ratio is better than hennes.The one year he started with the chiefs he had 17 tds and 12 ints.The one game he played for us last year he had 2 tds and 2 ints.That would equate to if you count today 20 tds and 14 ints.

37. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    The game was won.. Down by 2 scores, on a gimp QB with an offense that hasnt gotten anything to go i like our chances even if Thigpen would of happened to turn it over. Instead no we goin into a short week with Henne on crutches and Thigpen with question marks. It would of just been easier to get a good look at Thigpen running the offense in another live series. Now we dont got that, all we got is 3 days to prep, with a gimp qb of our own and a 3rd string qb.

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If he can limit his INTs to the other side of the field who cares really? Let him loose when it's safe to do so and he produces TDs, no question.

Let's put it this way, he's fast enough that if you go 5 wide with Cobbs and Fasano being two of those guys, you may have to take someone out of coverage to stop him as a QB spy. The Bears are vulnerable to that. Their defense is ranked 8th but their wins are against some really poor teams outside of Minnesota (beat up version) and Green Bay at home by three. We play them out of Soldier Field (more of a disadvantage for them, than an advantage for Miami. Play action, roll out, Wildcat, spread offense. Throw it all in.

39. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the playing field provided the answer we needed:
    it is what it is: Thigpen in 2010 :yes: he won the start

40. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Oh please, Henne played well besides Incognito letting him get killed 3 times.

Thigpen is 3rd string for a reason. He may have to start due to injury, but if Henne can walk, he starts!