1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Tanny and the draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shula_guy, Apr 17, 2012.

1. If Miami does not take him @ 8, how far is he projected to drop in the draft?

I do not follow college ball and know nothing about him. I keep hearing if Miami takes him @ 8 its because they are desperate for a QB and willing to reach. How big of a reach is it I guess is my question.

Personaly I feel like Miami has too many holes to be able to afford a miss on a 1st rd pick. If they feel Tanny is going to be a star in the NFL, then by all means draft him but if they are iffy about it and there is someone else on the board at another postion that they need and they are more confident in how they will perform. I think they should risk it and let Tanny fall in the draft. Maybe he falls all the way to us in the 2nd or we can put some picks together and package it to move up to get him late in the 1st.

Is that even a possibility or is he expected to be drafted by somebody else pretty fast if we let him get past #8?

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It's tough to call him a reach because everyone has their own grades on him. I don't see him as a first rounder but others here do. Same with Weeden.

shula_guy likes this.
  3. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    My guess would be Cleveland at 22(i think 22)

derek and shula_guy like this.
  4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think Arizona is going be a player for either Weeden or Tannehill in some form. They've made it obvious that they'd like to upgrade over Kolb, and they have a decent spot to do it with.

shula_guy likes this.
  5. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Dolphins should draft 2 QB's. Best man wins. Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas, granted not in the same year, but he let Walsh and Aikman battle it out.

6. sleek

sleek Member

Jan 3, 2008
    IMO we have to get to #3 if we want Tannehill. Every team is interested when it comes to the quarterback position.

7. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Please. Any GM trading up for Tannehill will be looking for work next year.

GMJohnson and SCall13 like this.
  8. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Bottomline on Nfl Network said Pete Carroll would draft Tannehill at #12 if available - could be smokescreen

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Carroll wants Miami to grab him so that he's free to take Osweiler in the 2nd round.

10. Yetanotherfan

Yetanotherfan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Yep saw that also

http://mobile.seattle.sbnation.com/2012/4/17/2954874/nfl-draft-2012-ryan-tannehill-seattle-seahawks

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Do we really want to take that chance? Alot of QB needy teams are sitting behind us.

12. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    When it comes to Tannehill, we have an advantage other teams don't. Our offensive coordinator coached him in college, just as Philbin coached Matt Flynn in Green Bay.

We passed on Flynn. I can confidently say we passed on Flynn because if Philbin REALLY wanted Flynn, we would have signed him.

The same goes with Tannehill. Sherman will have alot of influence on whether or not we draft him. If we do, look for Tannehill to be the future of the Dolphins. If we don't (and we have the opportunity to), then he must not be all he's being portrayed to be.

GMJohnson and steveincolorado like this.
  13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree with your QB valuations. And if we passed on Tannehill, he could easily go to Buffalo, KC, Seattle, Philly etc. I see the chances of him falling to our second as basically nil.

14. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA

Same for Weeden. There are only two prospects out there anywhere near the first round level after the presumed first two picks are made. A lot of people have been screaming for several years not that we need to fish or cut bait as far as getting another good QB. If the team is ready to take Tannehill at 8 - get him. Stop playing not to make a mistake - that was Sparano's problem! It's time to take the bat off the shoulder and take a swing at it. You never get anything watching everything go by you.

thisperishedmin and Fin D like this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Amen. Preach it Rev!

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Elementary..Ireland has got it made at the 8 th pick, off the charts inside intel from your own staff, bet your *** this is all Sherman and Philbins call..

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The issue is that no matter what non-QB you get, you will always be a franchise QB away. I love Kuechly. I think he's an eventual superstar and arguably our next Zach Thomas, should we get him. But if we keep rationalizing that we can get a QB later or that what we have is good enough (that sounds so much like Wanny rationalizing about Fiedler) then odds are we'll win as many championships with Kuechly as we did with Zach. Obviously it all comes down to the evaluation. I have Tannehill and Weeden as the third and fourth best QBs to come out over the last two seasons (behind only Luck and Newton). That's been my position since the season ended. There was no "rise up the board" for me. Somebody with a different QB evaluation will come to a different conclusion. It's never smart to pick a bad player. But if you pass then whatever non-QB you get will almost assuredly not get you a championship. At best it's a piece that might help you get a championship if and only if you ever do find that franchise QB.

Fin D likes this.
  18. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    So if the Redskins are playing poker they could skip RG3 and pick Tannehill or Weeden. I never thought of them skipping right by RG3 could you imagine how the draft would suddenly go into chaos.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think they clearly have RG3 ranked higher than I do. I have concerns about RG3's pocket awareness and I don't like the level of read responsibility he had in his offense. My point was that I have Tannehill and Weeden as very highly rated prospects. I don't see them as reaches at all.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  20. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Perhaps. But those of you who follow Kohney's Korner may have seen an interesting tweet a week or so ago where he claimed that numerous people he's spoken to in the organization have told him that Ireland and Philbin had quite different opinions on Flynn's ability/worth.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not being combative, but who is that person why does what he say matter or be believed?

22. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    He is a monumental reach with a top ten pick because he was a wide receiver in college converted to QB for 19 games in which he played poorly against the better defenses (there is no way to sugar coat it) . 2nd round pick probably because he is a prospect with upside. In sheer desperation a very late 1st rounder but in the top 10 its a crazy gamble. However he looks great throwing in shorts in front of cameras so his stock has risen (I wish I was making all this up).

Tannehill versus Top 25 college Defenses
    :

Record: 0-4

Completion %: 54%

TD's: 6

INT's: 10

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That part makes him look more impressive

24. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I believe he's some kind of TV producer that's also known for having some sources around the organization.

25. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I can agree with that.

26. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012

Hey you never know this guy could be a beast but if you play percentages he could more easily bust.

We really would not want Floyd at WR starting day one and stretching the field over a huge maybe in Tannehill?

27. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    every QB in this draft not named Luck has a good chance of being a bust. However, I doubt that RGIII, Weeden and Tannehill all bust. You take the chance that one of them will turn into your franchise QB (or at least the next Matt Schaub). It's worth the risk.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why would you take a WR with a 75% of being special over a QB with a 50% of being special? You act as if the value of the positions are equal. They aren't. Following your logic a Kicker with a 95% chance of being special is a better pick that a WR at 75% and a QB at 50%.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree. Even Luck has a good chance to bust. Every player does.

Think about it. Luck is going to have to be as good or better than Peyton for him to meet expectations.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    In this kind of draft I think Tannehill has a better chance of becoming a starting QB over Cousins or Oswiller. I still do not like Weeden because of age, however I do think if we do not take him at 8, there is little chance of getting him.

I also think there are some good receivers available in the 2nd round, 3rd round and I have seen mocks with Wiggles going in the 4th round.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's all BS, check it out, 1 team wanted his services, not even the team that we are in direct QB competition with (Cleveland) wanted him, and now Carroll has come out and said that the position is open for comp..

I can't understand for the life of me why some folks continue to not concede the idea that Flynn is not the Qb that a new coach wanted to hook his first coaching job legacy to..

When I studied Flynn I wrote a thread that said if our coach wanted him I would support the decision, but after watching all his snaps as a pro, I said that I would not make Flynn an offer to be our potential franchise Qb..obviously after spending years up close with the prospect, our new coach felt the same, and to think that Ireland would overrule that type of intel is preposterous to me.

32. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Because a lot of us think Ryan more likely only has a 10% chance of being special. He's being highly overrated by the QB desperate.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I get not being enamored with him, but to think he's THAT bad of a prospect is kinda crazy.

34. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Am I crazy for thinking that Tannehill is a better WR prospect than he is a QB, and I'd pick him as a QB with the plan of him being a WR if and when he fails at QB?

35. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing about Tannehill versus better defenses, no need to run away from it or try and slice the stats any different way. Fact of the matter is his efficiency on paper was poor against those good defenses.

He had genuinely poor games against Oklahoma and Texas.

But if you really watch the Oklahoma State and Arkansas games, I don't know how you come away saying he had poor games. I really don't. I saw only like three bad throws in the second half of the Oklahoma State game. One ended a drive with a FG because he threw a little too far ahead of his receiver on a crossing pattern on 3rd down. Another was a pick that he shouldn't have thrown, bad decision under heavy pressure which he should have been able to anticipate by reading the defenders pre-snap (it happens). The final was a throw where his ball placement a little off and Jeff Fuller popped the ball up for an interception. That's partly Ryan's fault. One of those second half INTs was absolutely not his fault as he threw with perfect anticipation to the outside, ball in the air before Fuller had made his break, and Fuller just crumpled to the ground tripping on his own shoelaces, giving the DB an easy INT. Not even close to Tannehill's fault. Not. Even. Close.

And the Arkansas game was just a very good game for Ryan and I don't know how to see it any other way. He was beautiful in that first half, laying on 35 straight points against an SEC defense in 30 minutes of football. You look at that game and some of his best throws of the year came in it, really great throws to the perimeter and while on the run, dropping the ball into tight windows, etc. That INT he threw....listen to Urban Meyer on the play. He was disgusted with Jeff Fuller's effort on the jump ball and said he had no problems with Tannehill's decision to throw it. Now, the ball placement was a little too far to the inside, but you see that all the time, even with Robert Griffin. Fuller made zero effort to go for the ball or defend it. It's a one-on-one situation, you either have the mentality that says this is my ball and nobody else's, or you don't. Fuller doesn't.

But the passer rating is all about touchdowns and interceptions, right? Where are the touchdowns? This is the one problem I consistently have with the passer rating. You look at the lack of touchdown passes and you think this is a low scoring game, but TAMU scored 38 points of pure offense. Oh but then Tannehill must have been carried by the ground game, right? No. Tannehill accounted for 31 yards of the first TD drive before Christine Michael busted off a 48 yard TD run. Hand that one to the ground game. Tannehill accounted for 54 of the 65 yards that produced a 1st & 6 at the door step of the end zone on the next drive. TAMU ran it two straight times for the score, but that could just as easily have ended with a Tannehill TD pass. The next drive, the ground game did most of the work, resulting in a 1st & 1 on the goal line. Could that drive just as easily have ended with a Tannehill TD as it could a Cyrus Gray 1 yard TD run? You bet. Next TD drive, Tannehill engineers a 35 yards on his own with another 20 yards off Arkansas penalties, before Christine Michael pops a 29 yard TD run. Could that drive have ended in a Tannehill TD? You bet. Final TD drive of the game for TAMU, Tannehill accounts for 59 of the 78 yards that produce a 1st & 4 on the goal line, again they run the ball and it turns into a TD...but could that just as well have been a Tannehill TD? Damn right.

So what you have in effect is a game that Tannehill had that is not at all described well by his passer rating. The offense went on TD drives of 78, 71, 54, 84 and 82 yards. His not throwing TD passes was more a function of the play calling near the goal line than anything else.

And of course he gets called out for having allowed the Razorbacks to come back from an 18 point deficit. Forgive me but when you score 35 points in one half and then finish with 38 points, you should still win the game, and if you don't, then it's time to call out the defense for letting Jarius Wright tally up 281 receiving yards (not a misprint).

You give me the quarterback that can lay on 35 points in a half and I think I can figure out as a coach how to maintain that lead. What sucks is at the end of the game when Arkansas went ahead and Tannehill had a 2 minute drill to try and win, Swope drops two straight passes, Tannehill scrambles for 8 yards on 3rd & 10, and then the coaches take the game out of his hands on 4th & 2 and send Christine Michael up the middle for no gain. I'd rather put the game in the hands of my QB in that situation, but to each his own.

Anyway. That's how I'd account for the aforementioned 4 games from 2011 against good defenses. Two of those games he actually performed well. Two were bad. I'd add a 5th one against Missouri because that was a good defense as well, except he had a 93 passer rating in that game and I suppose that doesn't fit in with the theory that Tannehill can't play well against good teams.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  36. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    That's all well and good, but just because you wish to believe it's B.S. doesn't make it so. From what I know the guy has decent sources. Does that make the information accurate? Not necessarily, but I'm not closing my mind to the possibility of it, either.

37. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well that's going to be what all this draft is about...If Tanny is available, they have to decide whether his potential is worth more than what a Coples or Ingram or Blackmon or Keuchly would be since those guys would likely impact the team right away. Tanny is going to be a year or so off before he has major impact.

The idea that we are desperate for a QB and will take him at 8, where some say he's over valued, is based on Mr. Loss's mandate that we find a franchise QB this offseason. Tanny may be that guy.... but he likely won't be that guy this coming year...

I guess I'm in the boat that I won't be shocked if they pass on him but I won't be disappointed either. They simply have to decide that picking him is worth the wait for him to develop and worth not filling a hole with a DE/OLB, WR, MLB, etc...

It will be interesting if Blackmon and Tanny are both available at #8. If nothing more, they could bluff their way to a trade down for someone who wants Blackmon...

As to how far he'll fall if not to us, not very...Arizona at 13, KC at 11 or Philly at 15 are all landing spots for Tanny...

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Larry does Ross really deserve that nickname?

39. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'd buy that theory except we aren't the only ones that have QB as a need and those teams are looking at him as well. With our Sherman connection, the analogies to us are inevitable, we do need a QB, our owner has mandated we find a QB and the fan base wants Irish fired if he doesn't find a QB, etc, etc, etc...

As to his only having a 10% chance for success...well, to each their own. You say he's over rated because you don't think he's worthy, so dismiss any other opinion because it doesn't agree with yours ?? And at least on this board, I wouldn't say there are a lot who only think he has a 10% chance of being special...

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the only sources that make sense in a decision of this magnitude and considering the outcome, and the variables that were in place to make an accurate judgement is Philbin deciding he didn't want to attach his wagon to Flynn and relaying that message to his Gm, any other scenario that says that Philbin wanted Flynn and Ireland vetoed it is a crock a shi$.