1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the PuP list

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Jul 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I know that the way the pup list works is that the player can not participate in any training camps, practices or games. However they can be activated at any time prior to week 6 of the regular season (I think that's correct) or else they're placed on injured reserve. My question pertains to whether or not players on the pup list count towards the 80 man training camp roster. ESPN today reported that the Patriots have placed several players, including Rodney Harrison, Ellis Hobbs, Mike Vrabel, Wes Welker, Nick Kaczur, and about 7 others, on the pup list today. To my knowledge not all of these players were dealing with serious injuries that would keep them out of camp. So I was wondering if this is just another instance of the Patriots trying to cheat the system by holding extra players on the roster or if I'm just trying to create conspiracy theories.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    They are well within their right to put those players on the pup list. i dont see anything wrong with what they're doing. The players don't count toward the 80.

3. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    If I remember rightly it doesn't count, they can move from PuP to active roster at anytime but they have to cut a body first - I don't think you can go from the active roster to PuP, in that instance you go to IR. However, anybody is free to correct me but knowing what the Pat's are like they probably see it as a way of evaluating 11 or so fringe bodies whilst keeping a few vets on PuP to "rehabilitate" on the complex!

4. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Exactly. The people on PUP can go to meetings and rehab, they just cant practice.

5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    While what they're doing might not be in direct violation of the rules, it's certainly in violation of the spirit of the rule if those players aren't actually injured/physically unable to perform. Also knowing what we know about the pats and their practice of having players that are on IR paticipate in practices and team drills it would not surprise me to find out that these 11 players are also practicing with the team. Now of course if they don't participate with the team and the Pats are just using this as a means to carry more players into training camp to evaluate more talent then as you said that's not against the rules. But I still say it's against the spirit of the rules. Though we all know the rules mean nothing to Bellicheat and the Pats.

6. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    You can imagine the look on Bellicheats face if you asked him what spirit/rules mean..

dolfan32323 likes this.
  7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The spirit of the rule is to have no more than 80 players practicing at once. If they have more than that, then yes they're cheating. But it will be nearly impossible since there will be people there.

8. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    You are right. If they start the seaon they cant return until week 6 ( i believe its week 6, maybe later ever)

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Nahhh, that COULDNt be the case.......:shifty: