1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Vehicle Repossession

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by HardKoreXXX, May 15, 2009.

1. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My girlfriend recently had her car repossessed. She then bought a car from a friend for very cheap just to get around. She has a bill of sale and the title for said vehicle. It's all in her name.

My question is, can they repossess her new car since she still owes money on the old one? I wouldn't think they'd be able to since A) It's paid off and B) She purchased it after the first one had already been repossessed.

Any help is appreciated.

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I would think not, although I thik jdang may know about this as he is a financial lawyer I believe.....
    More then likely what she owes is mostly interest in which case I don't think they would be able to repossess the car she just bought.........

3. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    She still owed quite a bit on the car. A collection agency called her at work and told her they were going to serve her. There's no way that car sells at auction for what she has left to pay. Therefore, I was wondering if they would go after the current car as part of the deficiency.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    my wife just got served as well for a credit card.....and my wages are being garnished. sucks ***.

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Lucky may win best answer by default.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  6. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yes i believe if you are in collections and it has gotten to a certain point, the government can come after whatever you have. i know that for loans, if you avoid them long enough (i'm talking about a looong time) the servicer can eventually have the government pay off the loan, then the gov just garnishes your salary. i'm not 100% sure if they can just take your possessions in lieu of payment, but I wouldn't doubt it

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    no, they can only go after the car she owed dough on. She will be held accountable in her credit rating for what is left on the debt after the auction, but they are not going to come get the replacement car. I'm pretty sure only the IRS can just come take stuff.

HardKoreXXX and Crappy Tipper like this.
  8. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Marty has it the secured loan was for a specific vehicle that the company now has possession of again and they do not have any type of lien rights to the new car to the very best of my knowledge.

HardKoreXXX and cnc66 like this.
  9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    i win. boom.

10. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think Marty got ya.

cnc66 likes this.
  11. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Only if the new car was put up for collateral which would not be possible since she bought that car after the fact. She is in the clear.

HardKoreXXX and cnc66 like this.