1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on HD TV's for all you techno geeks....

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Dec 4, 2010.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I am going to be getting a HD TV this holiday season....and I have been doing some research as to what is the best bang for my buck....

My gaming will consist of my Xbox 360...and Kinect. Blue Ray and have a Sony Theatre system....right not we dont have cable or Direct TV to cut down on bills...

Im looking at either 37-42"....

Im thinking Plasma is the way to go because of the refresh rate ....but is there really a HUGE difference between 720 vs 1080? Some of what I saw said that for anything less then a 46" TV you wont really take advantage of the increased resolution...

Oh....we will be sitting somewhere in the range of 6ft from the screen ....

Would appreciate any feedback on brands....places to buy online...anything...

Thanks!!!

Looking to stay under $600

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    First I say always go bigger. The main regret I've seen when people get a TV in their home and watch it for a bit is they wish they would have got something bigger (so get at least a 42" IMO).

I would say keep your eyes on slickdeals.net for deals.

I disagree with not being able to see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen less than 46". The ability to see the difference is dependent on not only how good the source material is, but your viewing distance. Since you'll be at about 6" a 42" TV should be fine (but I don't know that you'd want to be much further back).

Best bang for your buck as far as TVs go are DLPs, and it isn't even close IMO (for example as recently as last week you could get a 60" 3D-DLPtv for $600 on dell.com). From a pure quality standpoint I would go with Plasma over anything. The main worry that I am aware of with Plasma is glare on the screen. So if there is a lot of light in your room, or if it's facing a window or something, that may be a concern (if you bought at a B&M store, they often have a no hassle return window, in which case you may not have to concern yourself with that yet).

Where to buy? I've bought online and at B&M stores and there isn't much difference in delivery between the two IMO. So it would just come down to what you're comfortable with. More often than not online retailers will have better prices, but sometimes B&M stores have better financing deals (if you wanted to go that route). You could always find a TV you like online and go scout it out at a Best Buy or something just to be sure you actually like the picture (play with the settings at the store, don't leave the picture set to dynamic/super bright or whatever they have in the store when you're there).

vt_dolfan likes this.
  3. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    1. i could be wrong, but i dont think they make plasma tv's less then 40 or 42 inches anymore.
    2. plasma uses more electricity and puts off more heat then LCD
    3. stay away from best buy unless you are looking to spend as much as possible on a tv.
    4. BrandsMart has THE BEST prices, unless its some online deal. im looking at todays add right now and there is a 50'' 720p 600hz plasma for 598. that tv was like 2500-3500 2 years ago.

i did see an add online the other day on walmart for a 42'' 1080p LED tv for 499. its from Element electronics, who you probably never heard of. but i bought a 42'' Element plasma tv like 4 years ago for $650 when all the others were $1400. havent had one single problem with it, other then fitting it in the car when i bought it.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Whatever TV you buy, make sure you look into reviews before the purchase. See if there's any bugs, potential failures, etc that has bugged other owners...

vt_dolfan and eric like this.
  5. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I wouldn't get a plasma or LCD. Go with LED. Better than LCD and plasma by far.

vt_dolfan and k-bayfinfan like this.
  6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    LED based TVs are LCDs, and plasmas are still better IMO.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  7. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Why do you think plasmas are better than LED?

vt_dolfan likes this.
  8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Better blacks, better viewing angles, better color reproduction. Depending on the type of LED, better picture uniformity as well.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  9. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I thought you were being racist there for a second. I dunno, I have to disagree. Side by side it seems toe that LED has a better look to everything, but still I don't think you could go wrong with any of the four as long as you check out the display before buying.

10. k-bayfinfan

k-bayfinfan Bikini Inspector

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    Plasma TVs:
    pros: bright, vivid colors/contrast, high refresh rates provide super clear pictures, much more affordable than LCDs and LEDs

cons: Glare, consumes lots of energy, runs hot(therefore making the room its in hot)

LCD TVs:
    pros: bright colors, longer life(theoretically) than plasmas, cuts glare a lot better than plasmas

cons: consumes lots of energy(although many are considered energy star compliant now) runs hot, picture not as nice as Plasma,still some glare

LED/LCD TVs
    pros:same as LCD but brighter colors/contrast

cons: price

LED TVs
    pros: uses very little energy, bright colors/contrast, thin, very light weight, excellent picture even in well lit rooms

cons: Expensive

DLP:
    pros: very cheap as the technology is considered obsolete

cons: Obsolete technology, very expensive to fix the mirror carousel, some very sensitive people can see vertical line moving from R to L on the screen

As for resolution, people saying that they can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, on a smaller screen(32"-40"), I say hogwash.
    If you have access to a blu ray player and a 32"-40" HDTV, try playing a blu ray movie on it with an HDMI cable, and then watch the same movie with component cables. Movies will be played in full 1080p with the HDMI cable and at 720p with the component cables regardless if its a blu-ray. I guarantee you will see the difference.

High refresh rates(60Hz,120Hz,240Hz) on the HDTVs are good for high action programs/movies but only affects the picture quality for cable feeds/satellite feeds. You will not see a difference when watching a blu ray, as blu ray has these refresh rates built into the disc. so whether you have a 60hz refresh rate or 240hz refresh rate TV the picture will be equally impressive on both.

hope this helps you out

vt_dolfan likes this.
  11. k-bayfinfan

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    If you mean a LCD display with LED backlighting, I have to disagree that the plasma is the better TV, but this is you opinion

12. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I can not stress enough, go the BIGGEST on your menu. If you go small you'll regret it within 6 months, I did. Do your homework. Go to multiple stores, bring a DVD or a BluRay you know well, watch dozens of TV's. Refresh rate and Hz and all that stuff means something but YOUR eyes will tell you everything. Pick the one YOU like....then shop for a deal on that TV and read reviews. It can be an expensive proposition, take your time.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  13. k-bayfinfan

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    One more thing... Samsung argueably makes the best LCD and LEDs TV's and Panasonic is known for their plasma's

vt_dolfan likes this.
  14. k-bayfinfan

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    This is probably the best bit of HDTV buying advice here

vt_dolfan likes this.
  15. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Get a 42" panasonic G25 plasma. If you want stunning picture quality it has to have richest black panels. Since Panasonic bought over the Pioneer Kuro technology and started to incorporate it into their tvs, Panasonics now have the better tvs. The Kuros used to be the god of all tvs until Pioneer had to sell them off.

16. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yup I got a 42" 5th generation Samsung Plasma back in 2005. So wish I had gone 52". I'll probably milk a couple more years out of this one and try for a 60" :)

vt_dolfan and fins4o8 like this.
  17. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as you. We got a LG 42" 1080p LCD TV & wished I got 52"+ instead, but I did save a bundle due to only paying $400 at Frys. Guess I can't complain since I got it for cheap.

Bigger is always better as people have said.

Check out my new TV I'm thinking of getting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001XUR5H2

18. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    for that much money, you might as well just get a projector and screen.

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I have the 73" model of that tv. It's great, but I only paid like $1200 for it. I couldn't justify the more than 2x cost for a mere 9".

20. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I haven't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, that is awesome. Thanks for the reply. I will look into a lower model for less.

21. vt_dolfan

Can you get a projector and screen with HD resolution?

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The harder question to answer I think would be can you get a projector without HD resolution? :lol:

Projectors are great if you have the right environment. It would never work as well as I'd want it to in my current house for a number of reasons, including the amount of natural light that comes in.

23. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    I had a projector for years and absolutely loved it. Mine displayed a 720p picture over 84". I think they are like $400 now, and you can make the screen out of blackout material at Joann fabrics for like $10.

The only drawback is, if you have windows, during the day the picture is washed out from the natural lighting. At night, an HD picture that size is pretty awesome.

Also, I had to replace the bulb every few years and they can be pricey.

Once I moved, I got an LCD.

24. vt_dolfan

So....taking into account size of room....money....(that was the biggest)....and reviews.....

I ended up getting a 37" Vizio 1080P 120Hz for $440 at Costco. Costco ended up being the store of choice because well, you can usually return anything to Costco.

So far have played my XBox 360 and the picture is amazing....was a little bummed to realize my Sony home theatre reciever didnt have HDMI....boo....so if I want to have everything running through it....I have to go Component...

Blue Ray player will be my next investment...

Anyone know much about them?

I almost went with a 42" Panasonic Vierra Plasma for $479....but it only had 720p.....there was also a 40" Sony Bravia that was great...at $539 but only 60hz.....wonder if 120hz really is that much better then 60hz...

25. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I think it's Panasonic coming out with this, but there is a 12' (12 FOOT) flat screen TV coming out. It costs only $500,000

26. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    The biggest flat-screen TV in the world Panasonic is in the spotlight for its plethora of HD, 3D and superthin flat-screen TVs. But what's really caught the convention's eyes is the company's mega TV; it's 152 inches in size (that's 12.6 feet if you're keeping track) and features 3D plasma technology.
    To make it a reality, Panasonic claims to have freshly developed "ultra high-speed 3D drive technology," new chips necessary to enable high-quality Full HD 3D display on the ultra large 4,096 x 2,160 pixels panel.

Panasonic wouldn’t reveal any price tags, but I hear it may run you half a million dollars or more.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/07/whats-hot-ces-pansonic-flat-tv/

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Who cares, Mitsubishi will be putting out a 92" TV this summer that will probably be available for like $5K.

28. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    lol...i'd much rather have the 12 footer than the wimpy 7 1/2 footer. :)

Also, I've heard that the 12 ft TV weighs so much that frieght elevators can't handle it so any of the rich people living in penthouses will need to cut holes through their walls and get a crane to lift it in. Hell, at this size even someone in a house will need to cut a hole in their wall.

Also, the mounting must be a *****! lol

29. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Holy pixel stretching, Batman.

30. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I wish they still made CRT TVs. They rule the roost, but became too big and unfashionable.