1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Coach Philbin after the game:

"This was an organizational victory"
    This is key. It means that despite the noise, the organization has faith in their blueprint, their desire to stamp their imprint on the team despite overwhelming negativity in the media and the fan-base (people like myself included)

Don't look at passing yards. Our DB's played physical on D and I see a tremendous amount of effort out there. This was a great sign.

Tannehill is still raw, but those out passes to Hartline were a thing of BEAUTY. This kid has an incredible arm. We will see great things from him this season with the occasional lapses in judgement or bad stretches. This is going to be a learning process, but I like where he is headed.

This team has an identity. They play hard on both sides of the line, despite talent gaps. I like where Philbin is headed and his leadership is seeping through.

Since 2009, the Miami Dolphins have scored over 35 points ONCE. Once against the Bills. In two weeks Philbin led a balanced attack on offense to score 35.

I love the swagger this team displayed on the field today!!! SMASHMOUTH offense.

Finally, a coach that follows a plan. Limit the rookie QB's requirement to win on 3rd and longs, balance out the rushing attack and making the opposing team "one-dimensional on offense"

Let's beat the snot out of the Jets next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I hope we **** the Jets next week.

Vinny Fins and dolfan32323 like this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I can't wait for that Jets game. Hell, I can't wait to see the rest of the season after this performance...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The passrush really impressed! No sacks, but tons of pressure all day long.

5. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yup.. Add that the effort by our DB's.. Stats may not show a good game, but the hustle and disruption was there all day from both units.

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yes. Either that or #$%^ the Jets, or maybe &*#$ the Jets. Though, ****ing the Jets sounds fine too.

VanDolPhan, Ozzy and BuckeyeKing like this.
  7. Harmalama

Harmalama Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    England
    And to top it off, the dirty stinkin pat's lost too. woohoo

8. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Reshard Jones was ballin today.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Jones is gonna develop into a nice keeper.
    IMO we're lucky he came out of Georgia a year early and allowed us to snag him in the 5th round rather than the 2nd our 3rd he would've been had returned his senior year.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    My only issue was the ridiculous amount of diving at ankles on defense.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah.... and we need to get better and gang-tackling, holding up, and ripping at the ball.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  12. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Hope the Dolfans fill the seats now and keep the Jets fans away.

Xeticus and ToddPhin like this.
  13. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    My quick thoughts.

Positive:
    1. Reggie Bush and Lamar Miller can make things happen in the backfield. If Daniel Thomas can stay healthy and get consistent with his performance, the Dolphins have a nice stable in the backfield.
    2. Ryan Tannehill started out well but tanked a little in the second quarterback. He shook it off though and performed well to end the game. He showed improvement in his decision making some by cutting down on the failed completions. Last week, 7 of his 20 completions were essentially failed completions. This week, he cut that down to 4 of 18.
    3. The offensive line did a better job of run blocking in this game.
    4. The coaching staff is doing a good job of generating pressure with the front seven despite the fact that Cam Wake is the only legitimate pass rusher on the team right now.

Negative
    1. Offensive line still has issues with pass protection.
    2. The secondary lacks ball skills, and the play of the safeties have been very much below average.
    3. The linebacker group lacks range.
    4. The secondary and Kevin Burnett combined for some very poor tackling today.

In the coming weeks, I think we are going to start seeing Jorvorski Lane take more snaps away from Charles Clay as he did today. He's the better blocker between the two, and I think Clay made enough mistakes in the passing game today that Miami pretty much sat him till the end of the game and played Lane instead.

The Dolphins need to find a way to attack the middle part of the field, or else teams are going to start playing outside leverage and taking away those outside the hash mark throws.

Koe Misi looks good as a linebacker, but he seems to be a step too slow at times. I liked what I saw from Olivier Vernon today. He isn't a natural pass rusher, but he plays low and gets good leverage on the blocker.

Fin D, Eop05 and Paul 13 like this.
  14. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Jones played great...... watching Yeremiah get abused right now !

15. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I have concerns about Jake Long. He damn near got Tannehill killed a few times today.
    No way I'm in favor of paying him what he will dictate.
    Slow feet, bad hips, braces all over his knees.
    Have to move on after the season.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  16. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually............I hate to say............I agree with you. I like him on the team, but not at what he will get paid.

17. MrClean

He's worn those knee braces going all the way back to when he was at Michigan.

18. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    Fair enough but his feet have never developed properly and seem to be on the decline these days.

19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I love seeing Reggie run clean with a FB in front of him. For so long we yelled and screamed that you don't run him in a spread set, you run a traditional offense preferably out of I-Form formation so that he can cut back to the outside.

20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I said before the season I thought Reggie could have a HUGE year with this zone blocking scheme. He is the type of back you don't tell to hit a specific hole and go. You let him hit the hole he wants and give him options to use his athleticism.

21. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Really good stuff. Basically agree with every point. Exactly as I saw it too.

I still think the Safety play is too much of a liability, and against better offenses we're going to struggle.

Randy Starks is clearly our 2nd best pass rusher. Guy's a pro-bowl caliber player. Kudos Mr. Ireland for landing him. Glad he's a Dolphin

Vernon actually didn't look too bad out there today. Actually looked like he belonged. I was happy to see that.

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    LT- Martin
    RT- Long

One of these days?

23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Vernon even tackled Thigpen on special teams!

(For anyone who didn't notice, the announcer after a Thigpen punt return said he was "Brought down by Olivier Vernon" :lol: )

WhiteIbanez likes this.
  24. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I love this message board sometimes. Jake Long goes up against a top front-7 last week and has a single holding penalty, and no sacks, pressures, hits, nothing, and this week we're talking about moving him to Right Tackle.

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Last week the Texans actually didn't make much effort to rush the passer so I wouldn't take that to mean much. I agree moving him to RT is ridiculous, but in all honesty I'd be all for moving him for the right compensation rather than paying him the ridiculous salary he will demand.

26. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Is this right? I feel like I remember him giving up a pressure or two and a sack last week. I could certainly be wrong though

Anyway, hasn't he been pedestrian enough to consider not re-signing him to what will likely be as much or more than Joe Thomas got? I think that's a reasonable discussion.

27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know what this could possibly mean. Jake Long basically blocks someone every single play regardless. If the Texans weren't bringing blitzes, he's still 95%+ of the time got an edge rusher who is very much making an effort. Those edge rushers are pretty good in Houston, too.

No, he got beat once by JJ Watt and held him, but nothing else.

I think it's a reasonable discussion if he plays like this to any meaningful extent. This isn't that, by any stretch.

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Not 2 games into the season it's not, especially after what he's done his first 4 years.

29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It means that for the most part the Texans were content to control their spot along the D-Line and try to deflect passes rather than just flat out trying to create pressure. I don't mean to imply they weren't trying to create any pressure, just that it's obvious they were more intent on other aspects of play on defense.

30. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's nothing extraordinary. Depending on Martin's progression and Long's health you very well may see them flip if it becomes necessary.

31. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Long gave up 1 sack for 12 yards against Houston as well. IMO it looks like his knee is giving him problems. He doesn't bend he's kness and sit in pass pro like he used to. He's too upright. Just a personal observation though.

Eop05 likes this.
  32. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    FTR, I think re-signing Jake is a priority. I think this offense needs to grow together, and that means keeping the pieces together. I look at the 49ers now and compare them to the beginning of last season. The offense has come a long way. They actually look like a very good NFL offense compared to the beginning of 2011. And I believe it's because they grew as a unit and kept most of the pieces intact. Miami's goal should be the same. Add a nice receiver maybe. But for the most part, I'd like to see the same offense in 2013.

I think pass-rushers, dbs, lbs, safeties, and offensive depth should be a priority in the draft and FA.

But back to Jake Long. He hasn't been all that good in these past two games and that's a little bit of a concern considering he will be asking for a 90 million dollar contract at the end of the year. In the event that his inconsistencies continue, I can't see how you can hand that to him. Sure, it's early, but I'll bet this has crossed Ireland's mind today.

33. MrClean

PFF blamed the 2 sacks allowed on Incognito and Martin. They have Jake with no sacks, no hits, no hurries in the Houston game. +2.3 rating for pass blocking. 7th best OLT pass blocking rating in week 1.

34. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think on one of those sacks L. Miller chipped Longs guy, them the delayed blitz came, Long lunged for the block. I would assume that should have been Millers man. Long turns to correct him after the play and sack.

Bpk likes this.
  35. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8778&team=15
    Stats here are different and I saw Long get beat last week so I would disagree with PFF. In any case, Long will be fine. IMO it's just a temporary issue with the knee.

36. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    If Tannehill keeps developing trust in Fasano, we could see some seam action that would fit the bill.

37. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Could you say we'll see some hot action in the seam?

38. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    Go to the 1:40 mark in the 3rd quarter today and see Wheeler gashing Long and hitting your QB.
    He got beat straight up. Bad feet.
    I'll still say the best pass Tannehill threw all day was the one on 3rd and 7 to Hartline. Play before the Bush 65 yarder.
    Tanny got tagged.Tough kid.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  39. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    This I agree with and it is going to become necessary. Defenses will start taking away the boundaries. Fasano, Clay and Bess will need to be utilized more. The screen pass will be need to be brought out as well.

40. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    It would be great if Michael Egnew could get up to speed on the offense and become a seam threat for the Dolphins.