1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiohead Blasted By Veteran Rockers KISS...

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Phinperor, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Radiohead Blasted By Veteran Rockers KISS For Giving Their Music Away For Free:

2. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Can't argue with the man. And people wonder why concert tickets cost so much these days...

3. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Much as I can't stand Gene anymore....he's right.

4. Dolphinsfan69

Dolphinsfan69 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Who cares? I understand where he's coming from but it's Radiohead's choice. It's their music and if they want to give it away for free, then go for it. They seem to be one of the few bands who care more about their music being heard than $$$.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  5. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Gene Simmons? The guy would sell his own mother. KISS is emblazoned on more pieces of junk than you could shake a stick at.

Newsflash! The record industry was dying way before 2007 when Radiohead gave fans the option to pay as much as they would like for In Rainbows.

Most artists, those without multimillion dollar recording contracts, always made most of their money on the road.

6. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    It doesnt surprise me that it's Gene Simmons complaining about money, the guy will pimp himself for anyone who will give him a dollar. With that said, he is right. But you cant blame Radiohead for this.

Jt0323 likes this.
  7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    This is a case of economics 101.

1. The record industry started to raise prices on CDs and music. Price exceeded demand. Something had to give.
    2. In response, a black market of file sharing services were established, further dropping the price that people were willing to pay.
    3. In addition, the internet led to an increase in the proliferation of legal music through the use of music services, like iTunes. iTunes is great for consumers, but actually decreases the amount of revenue because it's not so marked up. This further eroded the ceiling for CDs.
    4. Until the record industry either a) lowers prices (not likely) or b) catches up (which they've tried to do via lawsuits), things won't get any better.

Regarding the value of a CD, I've now gotten to the point where I either get my music from iTunes, or I get my CDs used. Admittedly, that's due to a combination of factors, including my age, musical tastes (some bands and artists are difficult to find in Kansas), and disposable income. Still, I can't notice that I'm buying 5-10 CDs a year now, whereas 5 years ago I was buying 50-100. I don't see that changing, unless the price of CDs come down to equal or lesser value than that of iTunes. In fact, I'd actually be willing to pay more for an iTunes CD, because of the delivery method.

Regarding the the proliferation of online downloads, the interesting point to all of this is that established acts, such as Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails, have been able to parlay this new technology into revenue for them directly, which is something I would think Simmons would be all for (After all, the amount of KISS merchandise available is staggering). On the flip side, unproven or unknown talent (such as Saul Williams) have not had the same level of success. I would think an online KISS album would be huge, but that's just my opinion.

8. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    How do you think he is right?

If an artist can produce the material, they pay the record producer and engineers, and don't need "the industry" to promote it or distribute it because of the internet, who else are they responsible to? Music isn't supply and demand. If Radiohead gives me their music for free it doesn't make me less likely to purchase a CD from another band? In fact the extra $15 in my pocket makes me more likely to spend that money on a different band.

9. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Oh, I dont think he's right about Radiohead doing something wrong. I think he's right that the record industry is dead. People just dont go to record stores and buy CD's like they used to. I give Radiohead credit for trying to distribute their music on their terms. I also think he's wrong to place all the blame on the fans, but we do deserve some of the blame I suppose.

10. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I think we deserve most of the blame. Unless CD's were $2 each people would download most of their music for free.

The record industry is dead. And I don't miss it a bit. There are more places than ever to hear new music with the addition of internet and satellite. But now rather than most of the money going to the "Industry" there is less of a middle man and more of the money spent goes to the bands and the actual live performances. Music festivals are blooming, and I haven't watched MTV in 10 years.

Section126 likes this.
  11. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Speak for yourself. I miss it a great deal, and here's why...

With the record industry dead, and bands having to resort to selling their music on the internet by themselves, it IS a great way to hear new music.

However, without the record company $$$ behind them, some great new bands coming out of Europe can't afford to tour over here, so the opportunity of seeing them live disappears.

Some of my favorite bands I'll never see because they're stuck without financial backing.

I take seeing a band live over hearing their albums any day of the week.

Phinperor likes this.
  12. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I always speak for myself. :tongue2:

Is this system perfect? No. But I think ultimately more of those small bands have a shot at finding an audience because the mainstream industry can't drown them out and drive them out.

Die hard music fans like yourself were always going to discover great new music. But I think now the market for that great new music is expanded because more music fans are looking beyond the mainstream outlets. Mostly because there is almost no such thing as a mainstream outlet anymore.

DonShula84 likes this.
  13. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Glad to see that little article spark a debate. Anyways, I agree with Pagan that it does in fact suck not to be able to see some of your favorite bands due to the financial woes that come along with touring, especially when coming over seas, being that most of my favorite bands are Scandinavian.

14. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    If the Scandinavians don't love them enough to pay em, why should we pick up the slack?

Rock American!

15. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    It goes both ways, including American bands going over there to build their fanbase as well.

16. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    And that's a good thing! :lol:

Finding an audience for what? To sell records to but never play for? What good is that?

Would you want to be a quarterback who throws perfect passes but never gets to play in front of a crowd?

I'd hang up my bass before I'd be in the business just to sell records. I like bringing my music to people in a live setting. That is becoming increasingly more difficult for young bands due to the labels losing their grip.

Maybe it's better to discover new music, but it's killing concerts. Remember back when new bands would come around every year on tour and you could see them? Remember when they actually could play arenas?

You don't see that too often anymore.

Phinperor likes this.
  17. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Gene may be a money grabbing ego maniac. But the man obviously knows business and how to make money. If he says the record industry is dead there is probably something to it. He may not be dead on in regard to the cause of it. But he at least has a point.

I personally don't care all that much. I'm extremely picky when it comes to the music I like. I find the vast majority of stuff out there to be horrible. I wouldn't listen to most of it if someone gave me the CD for free.

18. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I just don't see that. You originally cited European bands, which makes some sense. But are bands really unable to tour the country? That would be the first I've heard of it.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    ****ty music killed the industry, not the fans.

20. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    They technically might be able to "tour", but only playing small venues....and these are for the more popular bands. Bands that are just starting out? They're screwed.

Do you have any idea what the cost of trying to bring a band on tour is? It's insane. Without record comapny dollars behind them, most bands can't afford it.

Put it this way, the band that's opening for us this Saturday is from California. They're paying their own way on tour across the country. Obviously, one of them is pretty rich. However, here they are 3,000 miles from home, and they're playing a small club. Do you think they're getting paid enough to cover their costs?

Not a chance.

Phinperor likes this.
  21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    And yet ****ty artists manage to find their audience.

And who wants to hear that?:lol:

22. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    As a fan of music and not a performer, and with all due respect, so what?

Bands without enough following used to get a chance to tour because the music industry was bloated with cash after ripping us off for $20 an album.

The cash cow is gone now.

I don't know how long the band that is opening up for you has been around, or how much of a following they have. But if there isn't enough of a market for their product to make them money, maybe they have to come to the conclusion that music is going to be a hobby rather than a job.

But that band can now sell their music on their own website, and if the music is good enough it will absolutely find an audience. Get enough of an audience, and you can charge enough for tickets that it becomes profitable.

23. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Right there, with that statement, the argument ends.

You're not a performer, so you don't understand. Unless they are SOLELY in it for the money, musicians LIVE to perform live.

If not, become a session player and hire yourself out as a mercenary.

A good BAND wants to play in front of an audience.

LOL...let me know when the alarm clock goes off and you wake up from that dream bro.

JCowScot and Phinperor like this.
  24. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Get a real job. :lol:

Phinperor and Pagan like this.
  25. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Ouch. :lol:

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I never said that there werent stupid music fans. Id love to ***** slap every person listening to Soldier Boy or Good Charlotte or whatever the next peice of **** band rolls out tomorrow.

Whyd I stop listening to 80% of rock music after 2000? Bc very few bands made much of anything worth listening to after that IMO.