1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ramblings on the game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Of course, Reggie had a fantastic game. His work ethic and dedication are beginning to pay off. We have Tony Sparano to thank for thinking Bush can rush 20+ times a game with some frequency. Real headsy play by staying in bounds to allow the clock continue to run towards the end of the game. He still has some issue with trying to fake instead of turning it upfield, but I am confident that will be fixed. It is a minor issue. I am pleased that Philbin decided to take him out with 6 minutes left. Bush earned the rest.

We also got to see Lamar Miller and what he has to offer. He looked solid, and it was nice to see him ice it with the late TD. I think it will be nice to have Daniel Thomas back to offer a true bruising back later in the games; especially games played at home and with late leads. Using Javorski Lane in there late will give Miami an idea as to how he can be used in short yardage situations. Miami seems to have a good situation in the backfield, and they will certainly have to continue rely on these guys as the season progresses.

Ryan Tannehill had a decent day. The rollout TD run was nice, and not turning the ball over was very nice. We see that he and Hartline are working well together, but Tannehill still has some accuracy problems. There were several nice catches that were made by the receivers where the ball was thrown behind, etc. I am a little surprised that Miami did not use a play-action/double move with Hartline. I thought that later in the game that they had a great opportunity to try it. Of course, we cannot see the entire field, so who knows if it could have been pulled off.

I think Tannehill needs some better pocket awareness, and sometimes fails to slide within the pocket. Unfortunately, there is not really any pocket to work within on a regular basis. I really hate to say it, but Jake Long is becoming somewhat of a liability in passing situations. Whether is it from injury or if he is not picking up the zone scheme, I am not sure, but he really needs to improve. Tannehill NEEDS more time if he is to have a chance to make some plays downfield. For that matter, both bookends needs improvement.

I was pleasantly surprised that the defense kept McFadden in check. I was not expecting a 300 yard game from Palmer, and felt McFadden was going to have a good game. But this trend is real, and I think Miami might have a top run D. Arian Foster at 3.0 yards a carry and under 80 yards and then McFadden with 22 total rushing yards is something to rave about.

The secondary needs some work. In an incredibly pass-happy league, this secondary needs to tighten their chinstraps. The unfortunate thing is that if a team comes out and and gets ahead a couple of scores, it will force Miami to use Tannehill's right arm. I do not like this scenario. While I am happy that we have Tannehill, I do not want Tannehill throwing the ball more than 30-35 times a game. The way his game is at this point, if he throws 40+ passes, Miami loses. His accuracy is questionable, and he will be prone to making mistakes because of it. This was an efficient game by Tannehill today.

The pass rush was outstanding today. I just wish some of those hits were sacks. You can see Wake getting held consistently. Surprised there were not any holding calls.

And what about that special teams play??? Holy smokes, those guys are playing really well, and I am actually excited to see the punting team coverage. With the exception of one long run, these guys are consistently getting back there and putting some licks on returners. I like them.

There are some issues with this team, but today, we actually saw the team come together to play as a team. They needed someone to step up and Reggie did that. This team rallied around him and that energy became infectious. Hearing the crowd chant "Reggie! Reggie!" was really something nice. We may have found our star.......

dolfan22, Disgustipate and Alex44 like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Where you see balls thrown behind guys, I see balls thrown to the proper spot. You can't lead a receiver every play, you fit the ball through the window where your receiver has a chance to catch it. He does that extremely well.

Now he did have a few poor throws today as well, but generally I love his ball placement ability.

dolfan22, Agua and Bpk like this.
  3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    This is a very naive statement. I fully understand throwing windows, but his accuracy is suspect. The throw I think you are talking about was the one to Bess over the middle and Bess made a nice adjustment to catch the ball? There were a couple to Hartline that were a little behind, and the timing could be better on some of his throws.

I saw improvement today, which is what you want to see out of a rookie. There are some of those throws that are just not there yet. But this is just his second game.

I am not downing Tannehill, but I am certainly not going to pretend that he does not need to improve in some areas, accuracy being one. I think that some of his throws were very nice today. But EVERY QB has nice throws every game. He just has some work to do. I hope the O-line can begin to come together to give him some time, because I think if he can have some time, we can see some good things from him.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Once the game keeps slowing down his accuracy will get better, I know he has very good accuracy in his repertoire, I've seen it.

As we all know, he workd very well on the run and outside the hashes, I think he has underrated touch to start exploiting the seasons, he throws a really nice seam route.

"Ryan Tannehill looked good"... ..Collinsworth...like him

I believe we held foster to a 2.5 banger, not sure about today's averages.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Hmmm if you notice I fist bumped your post because I mainly agree with it and like the thought out effort. My only contention was I don't think his ball placement was as bad as you made it seem. I didn't mean to imply you didn't understand anything, and admitted he did have some poor throws as well.

We don't really have anything major to disagree about. I just meant his ball placement on various throws was very good, enough to compensate for the few bad throws he made.

Also as you said every QB has some nice throws it would be just as fair to say every QB has some poor throws.

dolfan22 likes this.
  6. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    can we all remember that was his second start? good lord.

7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Yeah, I came off as uncouth. Not what I wanted. My apologies.

I did see some good throws by him, but I do notice (whether it is a timing issue, or just not great placement by Tanny) that the ball could have been better placed. I will have to re-watch the game.

There is something funky with his back shoulder passes. I cannot place my finger on it yet, but they're not the typical back shoulders you see from guys like Brees or the Mannings (at least, they do not seem that way). They are super effective, whatever he is doing.

I actually cannot wait to revisit the game and maybe gain some better perspective. Have not had a chance to do that just yet, and it might change my mind on a few things.

Alex44 likes this.
  8. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    First post here on the forums! Have been reading them for a little over a year now though, great discussions held here. The two things that bother me from this game is how little time Tannehill has back in the pocket to throw and how MUCH time the opposing team has to throw the ball. Really upset about the lack of pass rush on D. Our run D looks like one of the best in the league though.

9. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    This is from today's presser with Coach Philbin:

Link: HERE