1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Mock Draft Bonanza

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Stitches, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    http://www.draftempire.com/nfl_mock_draft

http://newnfldraft.com/archives/581
    http://www.thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft.html
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php
    There was like 6 more, and 3 had us with Sintim the other 3 had Cushing.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I could live with those.

3. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm personally not a fan of Brace in rd 2.

4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Agreed. I'd prefer the other BC DT and he's not dropping to the 2nd round. But the Robieskie and Smith picks can override that.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I could live with Cushing Smith and Brace, throw Pat White off it and replace him with a Safety and I'd love that draft.

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    More...

http://draftheadquarters.com/index....-Shawn-Zobel%27s-Mock-Draft/Home/cat_id/34611
    http://www.draftseason.com/lupagus-nfl-mock-draft
    I really like that draft (though not sure we'd pick Smith based on size), even with a few surprises; including pasing on English once, and Sintim twice.

http://sites.google.com/site/draftingforthefuture/Home
    http://footballjabber.com/nfl-draft/nfl-mock-draft/
    :lol:

http://nflnr.com/09-nfl-draft/mock-round-1/
    Larry English @ 63 :pity:

http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp

Zanno likes this.
  7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    25. Duke Robinson, G
    44. Sean Smith, CB
    56. Ron Brace, DT
    87. Brian Robiskie, WR

Thats a pretty nice mock.

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I agree, though I'd prefer others in that mock over Brace; such as Alphonso Smith, Chase Coffman, Antoine Caldwell, Eric Wood, Clay Mathews, Derrick Williams, and Robert Ayers.

9. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i like the one with Duke Robinson

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If we get Enlish, sintim or cushing iam gonna be stoked even though i dont think we will have a legitimate shot at english at 25..when folks see this kid from the small school at the combine there going to "****.. in.. their pants" { reference: one of the funniest SNL'S skits ever}

Follow up with delmas and caldwell and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Chase Coffman is going to take a hit on his draft stock IMO, his foot will not be healed sufficiently to allow him to participate in the Combine, his one shot is at the Pro day workouts in Mizzo.

We need some more Defensive players, how did Derrick Williams sneak in there?:lol:

12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I agree Coffman has limited chances to make up lost ground, but he has the best hands of probably all TEs in the draft, and certainly a dynamic player. If he's healed up for training camp I'd have nor problem spending a 2nd rounder on him.

DW was listed because he is a great football player, and all around good WR. :wink2:

padre31 likes this.
  13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Give me the 2nd one. I only see two picks of value in the 1st one, as I don't see Hood as an NT. I like McKillop, but I don't know about that early.

14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Lots of mocks have us taking Sean Smith at 44 wow. That would be a great value pick up imo for us, but Im not sure he makes it out of round 1 let alone to 44.

Frayser likes this.
  15. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, that would be a steal. I think drafttek's overall mock is very interesting at the moment:

25. Sean Smith
    44. Clay Matthews
    56. Derrick Williams
    87. Dannell Ellerbe
    122. Pat White
    153. Brandon Underwood
    196. Khalif Mitchell
    215. Robert Brewster
    220. Andrew Hartline

Gotta say I would be happy with those first three picks. I wasn't sure what to think of the Pat White stuff, but I like the kid. If the coaches really think he has a use for this team (moreso than simply making John Beck expendable), then I'm all for it.

16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
  17. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Can't argue with the last two picks, but I just don't get the Duke Robinson one (and I have seen that elsewhere as well). In particular, they have us passing on Maclin and Nicks to take Robinson. :no:

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not sure I get it either, but I do think Robinson is a good player. Maybe if Smiley got hurt again, Robinson would be a long term replacement, or if Thomas never came back. Who knows?

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Another pretty good one:

http://sundaykickoff.com/ROUND1.html
    1. Ebon Britton, OT
    2a. Clint Sintim, OLB
    2b. Darius Butler, CB
    3.Dominique Jackson, CB

Though they give no explanations, their entire mock is one of the better ones I have seen.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN and padre31 like this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a fine fine draft, if we could land a ILB as well, we would be set at Lb and Db and we would have a Oline prospect as well.

21. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
  22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    azfinfanmang likes this.
  23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I am well aware he won't be at 56, but I doubt he goes before 25 unless he blows up the combine.

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'll say "maybe" on that Aqua, a small college Free Safety who can transition to the NFL and call coverages is a rare commodity and could be a part of a reason why he might still be around in mid to late rd 2.

26. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    walter football updated their mock, it was previously Duke Robinson

It now goes
    1) Mack
    2a) Sean Smith
    2b) Brian Robiskie

That sounds reasonable.

27. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't see a first round pick on the basis of Miami's $25 million starting Guard "stinks and is always hurt".

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN likes this.
  28. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Draft Empire
    1. Clay Matthews

Football expert
    1. Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB
    2a. William Moore, S
    2b. Coye Francies, CB (San Jose St)

New NFL Draft
    1. Clint Sintim, OLB
    2a. Sean Smith, CB/S
    2b. Jared Cook, TE (South Carolina)

here’s the latest updates

trends are basically OLB and secondary help

29. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    By my count...#25...

Clint Sintim - XX
    Duke Robinson - XX
    Alex Mack - XX
    Vontae Davis - XX
    Eben Britton - XX
    Clay Matthews - XX

Larry English - X
    Aaron Maybin - X
    Brian Cushing - X
    Alphonso Smith - X
    Mike Mickens - X
    Percy Harvin - X
    Sean Smith - X
    Darius Heyward-Bey - X

Big Red likes this.
  30. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth

Switch Jamon Meredith with Jared Cook and I would be happy, especially if we come back with someone like Chip Vaughan in the 3rd and on OG like Green in the 4th.

31. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    either one works for me (though the first was my favorite). Each of those guys would arguably be the bpa at those spots, and I'm a firm believer in that sort of drafting strategy

I suspect that if a Maualuga, Laurinaitis or Maybin is sitting there at 25, then that's where we go

32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Who cares what the main site says? I go because there are a billion mock links and it gets updated daily.

33. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I think after Laurinaits measures 6'2", 245lbs at the combine and presses 30-35 times and runs a 4.6, people will be singing a different tune.

for the talent around him, you had AJ Hawk putting up great numbers with Bobby Carpenter, Dan Connor with Poslusky, Urlacher with Briggs. I think Laurinaitis is a solid 10 tackle a game machine, and throw in some of those game changing plays you alluded to (perhaps mostly in coverage), smart high character guy, that's a safe and worthy investment at 25 (or 15, or 5)

I think a good NFL comparison is Keith Brookings (instinctual and always around the ball, good but not amazing athletic ability, wraps up tackles)

I believe the OLB vs ILB debate is a legit debate with him. Put if you could pair him with a run thumper like Bart Scott, and let him cover the middle, that's a good pair

34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Post marked for future reference. :lol:

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Perhaps, and I like James L, but he is not or has not done anything that Beckwith or McKellop cannot do...

36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You think mock drafts are knowledgeable (even Scott Wright's)? Mocks are just done to pass the time at this point. No one knows anything until FA and the combine.

37. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I'm a fan of McKillop too, but I believe Beckwith's injury history might scare us off. McRath is a guy we should be interested in, but gets little play on this board

Ranking inside linebakers, specifically going on what I think Parcells likes (size, team leader, multiple good seasons, no nagging injuries) my list goes like this:
    1) Maualgua
    2) Laurinaitis
    3) McRath - Southern Miss
    4) Ellerbe- Georgia
    5) McKillop- Pitt

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I prefer the official MrClean mock draft.:up: I've no use for any mock draft that ignores the OL throughout the first 3 rounds. :no:

1. Alex Mack C Cal
    2a. Patrick Chung S Oregon
    2b. Ron Brace DT Boston College
    3. Keenan Lewis CB Oregon St
    4. Tyronne Green OG Auburn
    5. Garrett Reynolds OT North Carolina
    7a. Quinn Johnson FB LSU
    7b. Will Davis DE/OLB Illinois
    7c. Sammie Stroughter WR Oregon St

39. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Mr Clean, while I am not a huge fan of Mack I wouldn't be too upset if we picked him. However Marv, those two second rounders do make me sick. :puke:

40. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If I was planning how to handle the OL for '09, I'd say something like this:
    Resign or Franchise Vernon Carey and resign Al Johnson if a reasonable deal for not much more than veteran minimum is reached.
    Draft the players mentioned, presuming they are available. When I make a mock draft, I try to select players that have a reasonable chance of being available where I put them and use the projected rounds that nfldraftscout has them going, since I have to start somewhere and I think they are as good as any online site.
    I would have Mack, Johnson, Satele, Thomas, Green and Smiley compete for the 3 starting interior positions, and keep 2 who don't start on the roster as reserves. I'm not comfortable with just counting on Smiley and Thomas to be 100% physically when camp rolls around. Lower leg injuries prevent lifting for an extended period of time, cause a loss of strength and perhaps they won't be able to regain everything they had by the time the bell rings. Thomas was somewhat lacking in lower body strength to begin with. Also, when was the last time that Smiley made it through a season without missing time or playing through an effectiveness reducing injury? If Smiley and Thomas need more recovery time, we could still start off with Satele, Mack and Green (this year's Thomas imo) or Johnson, until Smiley and Thomas are 100% again. Jake and Carey would of course be the tackles again and Reynolds would be a good reserve and could play the right side, allowing Carey to move to the left if Jake missed any time. We still have guys like Ndukwe, Alleman, Murphy and Garner and while that list isn't impressive, maybe one of them will take a quantum leap forward.

As for my 2nd round picks, Chung and Brace are both projected as solid 2nd rounders. IMO, Delmas and Johnson won't make it to #44, so rather than selecting a wishful thinking guy for that spot, I tried to be more realistic, in my mind anyway, by selecting Chung. He is a solid safe pick and while he played more like a strong safety, he has the ball skills and range imo to play free safety. He is also a reliable tackler and an excellent special teamer.

The two BC guys are the only true NTs to be highly rated and Raji is of course a top half of the first round pick, which leaves Brace who represents decent value late in round 2. If we don't go that route and take Brace, then it would be slightly more risky selecting one of the less well regarded NTs in the mid rounds.

As for your question of whom amongst English, Smith, Smith, Delmas and Mack would I take? I like Mack and I really don't expect English to be there when we pick. If English were there, then yes maybe I'd go for him, and look for Wood or Caldwell in the 2nd rather than Brace. I would certainly take Mack over either Smith or Delmas though. Building a solid consistent playoff team starts with the lines. The OL imo is behind the DL currently, so I'm going more to that side of the ball.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.