1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randy starks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Aug 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Nice article. Cant wait to see him at the nose against Tampa

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/06/1763878/randy-starks-proves-he-has-nose.html

Confident? Yes, the Dolphins are confident about this move. So confident that there's now a belief, with all due respect to former nose tackle Jason Ferguson, that Miami might have even upgraded the position by now having Starks at the spot.

``I feel that way, yeah,'' coach Tony Sparano said Thursday. ``I feel that we have a chance to upgrade. You know my feeling on Ferguson, so this isn't slighting Jason.''

But -- and this is a big but considering Ferguson's productivity as a nose tackle in Miami's 3-4 system -- Sparano has seen something in Starks during the first six days of training camp that suggests he has a rare set of skills.

From the sound of it, if Starks' move works out, the Dolphins' decision could even change the way some scouts for 3-4 teams evaluate the position.

``You could see he had a couple of plays [Wednesday] that he made that were outstanding,'' Sparano said. ``It's the first-step quickness. With Randy, when you have first-step quickness, his power follows up so he's in the backfield an awful lot.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/06/1763878/randy-starks-proves-he-has-nose.html#ixzz0vnURiDqy

2. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    In my Madden 11 Franchise he has 11 sacks and two Fumble recoveries for TDs

3. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :lol:

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Sup Prez..

This is how I see it..

Does anyone think this is all Sparano's move?

I don't see why we wouldn't run some 43 on running down's with Solai holdin the point, and Starks cuttin and knivin in the backfield, then in passing situation's let him make moves on guard's and center's, hell he's used to punkin good tackle's, they shouldn't be much of a problem, not with his strength and quickness.

What a great player, so versatile, can play at a high level from 2 position's.

Like to see him and Ratliff go to Hawaii.

I really like the look of our 3 man rush, with Starks comin up the middle, Wake on the arch, Misi in the flat, Dansby and Bell in the box, with our corner's pressin, sheee#, were gonna be able to drop 8 and get pressure on the QB...That's big.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Starks is great, but I think he'll wear down in games, and across the season. Guys who have quickness are a lot less effective once they tire out/fatigue.

He ain't used to the amount of snaps in there.

Agree on him being an interestingly different type of NT. I think Peria Jerry could develop into a Starks as well, but he's stuck in a 4-3 in Atlanta. Heck, I think he'd be awesome as a 3-4 end, nose, AND a DT in 4 fronts.

6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Starks should be great this year. And Soliai will be fine for the snaps we need him. Combine that with Langford, Oddrick, Douglas and whoeever else we have in rotation and i think we got a solid DL.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Who is Ratcliff?

CaribPhin likes this.
  8. DOLPHANITY

DOLPHANITY Wooo Dolphins

Oct 21, 2009
    JERSEY
    omg my heart sank when I saw this thread...I thought it was another injury thread.(knock on wood)

9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    [​IMG]

10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Hopefully he's begun getting comfortable at the position this week, because early on it was tough for him. He was on the ground a bit. His body was absorbing the shock of it all (I saw him throw up at the LOS midway thru practice last Saturday, though he returned later). And he sounded a little defeated just a few days ago.

But we all knew he wasn't going to just sail into the "Man's" position as a 305-pound player. The adversity is good for him. And he'll need it when he starts wearing down in games and -- especially -- as the season grows long.

If he can just equal Ferg in the run game, we'll have upgraded. Starks was our best pass rusher next to Wake last year.

11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

That's what rotation is for. We'll be giving Paul Soliai every opportunity to get cut from the team so I don't think Stark will be too worn down. Then there's all of the different formations Nolan has cooking that might send him around the line or take him out completely. Every play won't be straight up 3-4 and every play won't necessarily use Starks as an interior block of concrete.

Bpk likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ratliff....:shifty:

It was late Mr.C....lol

13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah i think we are going to go to more 4-3s and perhaps play more of a phillips type 3-4. The key is going to be Starks lasting the season. That and Soliai becoming a consistent NT

Only eight more days till we see for ourselves

14. surferosa

surferosa Balance and Vision

Mar 23, 2008
    This is an interesting comment, if for no other reason than it goes against the mood of the article above. Have you been at practices Muck? I wonder just how well hes been doing.

15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I've only been to one practice (last Saturday PM) and had the same information as everyone else early on. Based on all that, I too was surprised by the tone of this article.

The one constant we've heard....and this article takes it a step further.....is that Starks is generating a pass rush from the position in base looks.