1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rapoport: Dolphins resign Andre Branch

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by invid, Mar 8, 2017.

1. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I don't mind the idea of retaining one of our own. That's a good thing. Hopefully it's not a huge money deal though. I don't think he's worth big bucks. Have to wait and see the terms, but I do like the idea of bringing back our own guys and not creating more holes. Get Stills done now too. Fill two spots with starters, they're you're own guys who by all accounts have done it the right way while here and are getting rewarded (assuming we keep Stills) and that sends a good locker room message too I'd think.

ripper1961, dolfan7171 and dolphin25 like this.
  3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Not sure if already posted...we resigned Mike Hull, Lafeyette Pitts, Anthony Steen, and Thomas Duarte.

ripper1961, dolfan7171 and dolphin25 like this.
  4. SocaCasualuk

SocaCasualuk Active Member

Sep 21, 2014
    U.K.
    Not sure of the financials yet but if they are agreeable then I'm ok with this move. Still need to draft a pass rusher but at least we don't have to expect the draftee to come in and contribute straight away now.

I liked branch at times last season but do wonder if he was putting it out there in a contract year. Guess we will find out this season.

Overall for me the pluses are that he's 2 years in the scheme now and showed talent in flashes, negatives are his play against the run and we've probably seen his ceiling.

5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

SocaCasualuk likes this.
  6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    It's a good signing because it fills a need and the hole it would have caused would have been too much to fix in this draft.

I hope we still draft a DE, but it's not as important as LB and OL now.

SocaCasualuk likes this.
  7. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    Ouch. I'm happy to have him back, but I don't know about that price tag. His play will have to continue to elevate if he's going to earn all that money.

Of note:

invid likes this.
  8. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    3 yr $27M for Branch

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Branch gets 9mill a year but Stills would only get 8Mill a year?

10. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Assigned them tender offers. So not technically not signed.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  11. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Isn't that crazy if it were to go down like that? I was just thinking the same thing.

12. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Terrible deal for a flat out bad player. Not sure where this idea is coming from that he is a good player at all, but he was part of the problem last year. He has graded out poorly in every single year he's played in the league on PFF. From his rookie year to last year, his grades have been 43.3, 58.7, 62.8, 41.7, and 56.4 last year. He is a flat out bad player. I dont care that we have a need at DE, signing a bad player at DE and saying we helped fill a need doesnt help fill the need. It means we further exacerbated the problem we have there. And he was even worse as a run defender then he was as a bad pass rusher. Just a horrific deal.

13. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    First, I doubt it's actually $9mil/year.

Second, he's an average DE with the ability to get better.

Third, we would have either drafted (and may still) a DE or picked one up in FA. They know what they have in Branch.

Fourth, this is no where near a "horrific deal"...even if it turns out to be $9 mil per year. (Which I'd bet my dog it's not)

Redwine4all likes this.
  14. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Hopefully it's staggered so that if his play improves his pay will accordingly.

15. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    1st- Id assume it's not, even then, if it is anywhere near there, its a horrible deal.
    2- No, by PFF who actually watches and grades every player and every play, he has been a bad player every single year he has been in the league, including last year when he was part of the problem along with Williams at that other DE spot.

3- Ya, we are going to add other players at DE, i'd certainly hope so. But Branch as a bad player for a 3 yr 27 million deal is absolutely horrible value in a cap controlled sport. It is the complete opposite of what the patriots do at just about every position.

4- We just re-signed a bad player for at the very least, a significant amount of money. That is a horrific deal. Sorry to break it to you guys, but IDK what you were watching, but this guy was a bad player last year and has been his entire career.

16. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
  17. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

18. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

19. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    In 11 starts he had 6 sacks and 50 tackles with a very high number of QB hurries. He was decent last year and hopefully Burke and Gase know a little more than you about who is worth re-signing or not. lol

20. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Exactly. Calm down on the numbers...now if it's 27 mil guaranteed, I might wince once or twice...but let's see what the guaranteed money is.

21. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Except that he wasn't. Like what dont you get that those numbers dont tell you any part of the whole story? PFF watches every play and grades every play and player and is telling you that he is a flat out bad player and has been literally every single year of his career. There has not been 1 year in his career that he graded out as even a league average player, including last year, when he graded out as a bad/below average player.

22. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    In my opinion branch is a good backup de. He really didn't have a great year last year when wake and suh take up all of the double teams it means branch only had to beat one man most of the time and still he only managed five sacks. He also wasn't great at setting the edge or stopping the run. He is a good depth player im my opinion but we still need to sign or draft another quality starter on the edge.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

23. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Seriously man do you work for the dolphins or something? I have never seen you really criticize any of the main players, coaches or management you are always riding everybodies nuts and defending ****ty players, coaching and/or management decisions .

24. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

25. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    No. I just understand football better than you, IMO. Branch is a middle of the road DE with the possibility of being above average. You could argue that his contract is a little higher than you'd like it to be, but it's not horrible. The upside to retaining him at a slightly higher price is better than the alternative. Instilling a culture of keeping players that want to stay and get better is better than throwing away people because fans don't like them. There's a little more to it, but I won't confuse you any more.

If you've never seen me criticize a Dolphins player or coach you're not paying attention.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  26. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I don't care how you try to spin it, 9 million dollars per season for andre branch means we are now grossly overpaying for a middle of the road de as you yourself just said. He was a big part of why we were so terrible against the run he can't set an edge worth a damn and he is just an average pass rusher. I just hope the deal is backloaded so we don't get too big of a cap hit this season and can cut him if he doesn't get better next season.

27. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    It's probably not 9mil per season. Even if it is, it's not horrible. It's widely reported that he's a great teammate with a high motor and upside. He does need to work on his run defense, but he's above average in regards to being a pass rusher.

28. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    BTW, 9mil puts him at about 14th highest paid.

29. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    He is not an above average pass rusher, I repeat everybody was double teaming wake and suh on the other side of the line all season long and he still only managed 5.5 sacks while wake even with all the double teaming and less playing time got more than twice as many sacks and alot more pressures.

Branch's pass rush grade per PFF was just average not above average. He is not worth 9 million per year.

30. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Yeah, it's obvious that you just look at PFF and make your conclusions. Do you know they're methodology? Do you understand their methodology? Can you explain their methodology? Saying all of that, have you heard someone like say, Belichick, speak about those methodologies?

My guess would be "no" to all of those questions.

Even so, Branch was given a contract that I would say is a little more than I would have guessed or wanted. However, it's not horrible.

31. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    No, I also watched every game last season myself and noticed branch could never generate a consistent pass rush eventhough he was very rarely double teamed while wak and suh were double teamed almost every play and still were able to get alot more consistent pressure on the qb than branch.

32. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    BTW we could have used some of that money to sign a guy like nick perry who is alot better pass rusher and edge defender than branch.

phins18 likes this.
  33. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Way overpaid. Kudos to him, I guess.

The only silver lining in this is that we won't be in a must-draft-DE-mode during the draft, like we were in 2014 with RT.

What is the guarantee number?

34. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    PFF is 1000X more informed than you. Regardless of their methodology, they have done infinitely more research into not only branch, but everyone else around the league to see where his performance lines up across the league. The answer: poorly. He is not good, was a huge part of why we were bad on the opposite side of Wake last year, and has quite literally not once been good in his entire career. This is a horrific deal and spend a significant amount of our cap space to not come close to fixing a desperate need on our defense. this is a terrible deal.

Like what about what this guy did last year, forgetting the PFF grades, makes anyone think he is a competent DE? We had 2 guys requiring double teams on our DL and our DL still sucked because of how bad Branch, Williams, Mitchell, and Phillips were. The fact that people thought he was worthy of this deal absolutely blows my mind. And its not even like this guy has previous years of success to fall back on. He has literally only shown himself to be straight up bad in the NFL.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  35. Phinsfan92

Phinsfan92 Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Salary cap is much higher this year so it's not as bad of a signing as it looks. Also, not everyone is Wake or Suh. Let's wait and see the guaranteed $$$ first.

Tin Indian likes this.
  36. Phinsfan92

Phinsfan92 Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Who says it would've been a guarantee he comes to the phins??

37. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Enough about PFF!

Finster and Phinsfan92 like this.
  38. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'm not a huge fan of this deal. Seems like alot of money to give a player of his caliber. More than I would have paid him anyways. Glad he's back though. Fills a hole on a starting basis. Shows the locker room that if you come in, do your job the right way, you'll be rewarded.

39. phins18

phins18 Active Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Ya!!!! **** informed opinions. Lets make decisions based on heart and a few plays we remember!!! That tells us the real story as opposed to people watching every play in depth!!!

40. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    LOL