1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare glimpse of tribe hidden deep in Amazon

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by peastri, May 30, 2008.

1. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23782262-5011761,00.html

Wow, how strange to think there's a part of the world that is still untouched like this. I wonder what those poor tribesmen were thinking when a giant metal bird few over...

2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I doubt they're truly 'untouched'. I'm sure they or their ancestors have experienced waves of disease from other Brazilian or Peruvian communities and I would bet they know something about the loggers downstream (and vice versa, the loggers know something about them). Wouldn't be surprised for someone to eventually go there and find metal machetes and axe heads here and there, maybe a Patriots 19-0 t-shirt on top of it

The linguist at the end of your article even suggested the possibility that the once lived somewhere else, only to move to the bush to escape the various booms in the Amazon, rubber, logging, cattle, soy etc

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It wouldn't surprise me that they are really "uncontacted". Furthermore, I think there still are many species and some human groups which are completely unknown to us.

4. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Rare uncontacted tribe photographed in Amazon

For pics and rest of the story click here

Interesting. :yes:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    The Rev likes this.
  6. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    regardless, I don't think there has been a completely 'pristine' society on this planet for a very long time. But it makes for a better headline

7. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    They might not be completely virgin, but the fact that they're firing arrows at a helicopter would suggest that they have little/no comprehension of what exactly it is.

alen1 likes this.
  9. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    why? because an arrow can't take it down?

I can tell you that, after looking at those pictures, I wouldn't want to try to walk up to that village. Not in a million years. If I'm a logger or miner, I just got convinced it's not worth the trouble. Only missionaries would be crazy enough

one could make the case they're looking fierce for a reason, heck, the pilots may have buzzed the village a few times to get them angry. Makes for better pictures, you know National Geographic or Discovery Channel is scrambling to do a show now. Someone is getting rich. Who knows?
    Even Napoleon Chagnon staged axe fights with the Yanomamo, passing them off as legit of course, to sell more anthro books.

I'm a little suspicious that every indigenous person we see in the pictures is all painted up. I've read a lot of Amazonian anthropology and archaeology, know several professional researchers that work in the area (there's a vibrant little group at UF). People's bodies aren't painted up all the time, especially not all the men. I'm not saying it's staged, but it looks odd.

also looks like they just chopped down a tree (to the right of the archers). Normally with stone axes that's done by alternating between burning and hacking away the char. Stone axes take hours and hours for a tree that size (though who knows how hard it is) and produce lots of tiny wood chips and broken axe flakes. Hard to see, but there look like some pretty big wood chips lying around it, suggesting the possibility of machete work

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  10. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Anyone see 'End of the Spear'? Great movie about missionaries making contact with the Ecuadorian Indian tribes, back in the 60s.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Love reading about indians. Good read :up:. I agree with Mucks post, it seems like they are not familiar with technology at all since they were attacking the helicopter with arrows. I found this interesting:

It states that they need to ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law, what do they exactly mean by that? Do they mean that the world needs to obey the restricted rules set up for tribes or the tribes will eventually die out over time?

12. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    pretty good movie. I understand the 'Ecuadorians', or at least several of them, were really played by Cuna from the Caribbean coasts of Panama and Colombia

13. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Huh, didn't know that. My wife is from Ecuador, and I still demand for her to 'bring me my drink'. She speared me.

like2god likes this.
  14. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    The pictures are fake apparently

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91536

Celtkin and alen1 like this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  16. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    well even if this particular picture is fake, the idea of uncontacted tribes has still got to be true, and thats pretty cool if you think about it

17. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    touchdown poco!

In all seriousness, they tried to make them look both scary and exotic to warn off the loggers and get everyone else's sympathy at the same time. Not a bad strategy, but one unlikely to work forever.

Celtkin likes this.
  18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Actually if you read the article closely it dosen't say it's fake at all.
    The picture is real, the situation is real and it really is a tribe void of contact with the outside world.

The difference here is simply that they did know about this tribe rather than it being a brand new find. Regardless, the tribe is real and they clearly fall under the requirements that give such groups protection. Was stupid for the guy to have to try and hype the situation when he didn't need to as the truth already supported his cause.

19. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I like how they were shooting at the helicopter or what ever was flying over them with bowwen arrows

20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I think we should go manifest destiny on their asses.
    You know show the savages that the white men are superrior, rape, pilage and spread disease.

What? Dont look at me like that, they're Hell-bound anyway.:wink2: