1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ravens Name Flacco Starter & Sign Harrington

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Sep 1, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The Baltimore Ravens have named rookie Joe Flacco starting QB. First time in a decade that every first round QB is starting on a team. It is not a surprise really that they're starting him. He was out of this competition for the first two or three pre-season games after he performed poorly. He had trouble hanging on to the ball and was not comfortable in the pocket. In the last pre-season game, he started getting more comfortable and he was back in the competition. It helped him that Kyle Boller got injured and that Troy Smith was unable to perform due to having his tonsils removed. This move could start some questioning in the locker room though, especially the veterans such as Ray Lewis and McGahee. Lewis and McGahee constantly run their mouths on the team's situation as you all know and I don't believe they were in favor of this move. I know for sure that the rest of the team wanted Troy Smith starting. Harbaugh went his own way and started Flacco.

The Ravens also signed Joey Harrington.

fins4o8 and unifiedtheory like this.
  2. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Good luck with that.

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I feel horrible for Troy Smith. He gets the chance of the lifetime and he gets sick.

:pity:

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its not only the sickness that he got, they weren't overly impressed with his performance. They were actually going to start Kyle Boller this season but he tore his labrum. Smith wasn't winning that competition. They must have liked Flacco's progress since Boller's injury. I think they went with the upside here and Flacco has move than Smith.

I watched a couple games this pre-season of Flacco. I don't think he's ready to be a starter. He wasn't as impressive as say Matt Ryan in Atlanta. I thought Flacco, unlike Ryan, looked uncomfortable back there. He over threw some receivers. He needs more time to develop and I don't think this was the right time for him and I think the players see that in Baltimore. Coach Harbaugh may have made his first mistake as a rookie HC. It could work out well but it could be a disaster as well.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hmm I had heard Smith was impressing before the tonsil thing, but could be mistaken.

Lewis and McGahee need to shut the hell up or retire and subit a resume for GM somewhere. Players running the team will lead to nowhere but first overall pick.

fins4o8, NJFINSFAN1 and BuckeyeKing like this.
  6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

Wow I heard differently. They were going to start him for 3 quarters but he got sick so the played Flacco. They were going to start Smith because he is more mobile than the 2.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting lol. I read that they weren't overly impressed with Smith, specifically his first pre-season start of the year.

8. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Well if you look at the Turn Over ratio Smith blows both Boller and Flacco away, that was another reason why they wanted Smith to start he is careful with the football, and is more mobile which they love because their Oline might struggle this year.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I thought Smith should have been named the starter on the team. I think he gives them the best chance to win and because it is too early for Flacco imo. I agreed with the veterans but apparently, Harbaugh doesn't think about it that way. Like I said earlier, this might be a rookie mistake by Harbaugh. I liked what I saw from Smith toward the end of the last year.

10. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I don't think Flacco is ready either. Cameron is going to get him killed.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it?

12. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Ravens QB Boller out for season (AP)
    Quarterback Kyle Boller was placed on injured reserve by the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday, ending his season and perhaps his stay with the team. Boller hurt his shoulder in Baltimore's second preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings and has not played since. Coach John Harbaugh described the injury as either a torn labrum or other damage that would render Boller unable to play this year.

Season over for Ravens QB Boller - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

alen1 likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks IL.

Also want to report that the Joey Harrington report proved to be false. Mortensen messed up twice in one week with Harrington's destinations. The Ravens did not sign him and instead acquired Todd Bouman to be the backup behind Flacco. Troy Smith maybe out a long period while he regains the pounds he lost after he removed his tonsils. It was reported that he lost 33 pounds.