1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reality check for Miami's Stephen Ross

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So, we're all familiar with the comments that Ross said, right? Well, here's Gene Wojciechowski's opinion/response to those comments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colu...i_gene&page=wojciechowski/110527&sportCat=nfl

Vinny Fins and Pandarilla like this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Since his interest in the Dolphins isn't for a salary, but as a capital investment, I don't think Mr. Ross would care.

How about a contest. Ross vs. Gene Wojciechowski who can go longer without a salary.

Just read the article. LAME. Many strawman arguments. Too many.

What ross said was probably insensitive but I don't find any of it wrong.

Hellweed and MarinePhinFan like this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Silly story by a silly man about another silly man.

MrClean likes this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ross can't seem to stop saying or doing stupid things. I don't think Wayne Huizenga embarrassed me much in his what, 15 years as owner as Ross has in the last 12 months.

What does that mean? Since Ross is rich then the morality of his decision making is unimportant?

Agua and DolfanJake like this.
  5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    No. That the writer doesn't know jack about what he's trying to write about.

He's trying to turn the golden rule on Ross, when the golden rule wouldn't work.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, think the article is pap, think people do over look the fact owners locked out players, this is their idea, think Ross should have reduced those employees salaries OR simply shortened their work weeks, they are now just working for less, same job, just less money, to me that is raw deal for those employees.

7. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Come on guys, in all HONESTY "ROSS" is an idiot and has brought a lot of unneeded press to a once PROUD FRANCHISE.

DolfanJake likes this.
  8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This franchise has had little to be proud of for the last 11 years. That’s not Ross’ fault.

sws84, Ozzy, MarinePhinFan and 2 others like this.
  9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I agree. The "once proud" argument has left a LONG time ago. It ha sbeen close to 40 years since they have won the Super Bowl, and damn near 30 since they were last in one.

And with the exception of a perfect storm three years ago, this franchise hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a long while. From Wayne pushing Shula out on his ***, to getting killed by 56 points in the playoffs, to trading away valuable draft picks for crap talent (Feeley, Gordon, etc.) to using high draft picks on crap talent (Fletcher, Ginn), and not to mention the tons of arrests, retirements and other boneheaded descisions that were made.

The Dolphins haven't been a "proud franchise" for a good long while. Ross is no different than the overall culturethat is the Miami DOlphins these days. Hell, we can't even sell out playoff games.

steveincolorado and Desides like this.
  10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The proud franchise started and ended with Don Shula.

Puka-head likes this.
  11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The only thing Stephen Ross needs to open with regard to the Miami Dolphins is his checkbook. Nothing more.

DolfanJake likes this.
  12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    This was more than a decade ago, for ****s sake.

13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Life long bummer thread.
    At least we will all wake up tomorrow..........
    Been a while since Lamar Smith ran for 239 and sat in the hot tub all week. :lol:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hah! Shula and Robbie had to be seperated at a charity dinner for pete's sakes, Robbie said something directed at Shoes first wife and the Don went BALLISTIC, and then there was the Jake Scott episode and more then one Shula led Dolphin season ended on a crushing blowout loss.

Shoot, Csonka, Warfield, and Kiick all made it known prior to the 1974 season that they were leaving for the WFL 2 HoF players and key cog in the SB runs pulled stumps, what would happen if such a thing was even mentioned now?

Just saying that people tend to idealize the past when there were just as many warts back then as well, Shoes had a 6-10 season for example.

Keep some perspective folks, Ross's Big Adventure was no different then Wayne H pursuing Pete Carroll in Costa Rica only to be told "no thanks".

15. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Please tell me the last playoff game that wasn't sold out ? Can't be talking about the Indy game in 2000, because that WAS A SELLOUT. It wasn't in time for the blackout to be lifted, but as soon as the deadline passed, the remaining tickets were sold in less than 10 hours.

So Sam please tell me which game you are spouting off about ?

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have no problems with criticism coming from the press when criticism is warranted. Whether the particular press man doing the criticizing does it well, or has other motives, doesn't really matter to me. Jeff Ireland deserved the criticism he got when he asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute, and Stephen Ross deserves criticism for him unwise recent remarks. Being a fan of a team doesn't force anyone to shill for them. For 10 years it seems like everything the Dolphins have done has been 100% justifiable by the crowd, and yet we haven't won jack sh-t in 10 years. So something's gotta give here.

DolfanJake likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ireland was completely justified in asking Dez Bryant that question.

As for Ross's comments, eh, why should anyone give a damn about them?

steveincolorado likes this.
  18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL. Sure.

19. Samphin

A PLAYOFF GAME. "Proud franchises" don't have their playoff games blacked out. I am as big a Dolphins fan as everyone else on here, but the truth is what it is. Ross is no different than everything else that has been going on here for close to 15 years.

The game was blacked out, was it not? The better question is, why wouldn't it have been sold out in less than 10 hours after they clinched a playoff birth? It is just another symptom of the Miami Dolphins football culture. The front offices, the ownerships, the coaching staffs, the training staffs, the players and even the fans have contributed to a less than stellar reputation over the last 15 years or so.

It just irks me that some fans feel like this franchise has been on the uppercrust of the league forever when, in reality, outside of the early 70's and a legendary QB, the franchise really hasn't done squat. Hell, th eonly real thing that the Dolphins have contributed to the league in a positive way in recent memory is being a great host for the Super Bowl and the Wildcat offense that has spread like herpes across the league.

steveincolorado likes this.
  20. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    But you said we couldn't even sellout the playoff game. IT WAS SOLD OUT. Please take that one back and just say you goofed. I agree with you, we haven't done jack in years, but I will not allow a potshot that is an untruth to go out there and become urban legend - the game was blacked out, but it was a sellout, and for an even better deal, I believe its one of the 2 or 3 highest attendance games for the Dolphins at Sun Life Stadium.

21. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The game that was blacked out was a sellout at kickoff but...

Season ticket holders were sent an ultimatum that they had to purchase a home game package for the playoffs. Three games had to be paid for in order to keep their seats. Whatever games were not played would be put towards the following years season tickets. Prices for the playoff games also went up big time. I had 6 seats at the time (I paid for 4 of them and gave them to friends every home game) so I needed to fork out well over 1800 dollars just to be able to sit in my spot for one game at a time and to be able to keep my seats for the following season. That was another threat used by WH at the time. Anyone who did not purchase the playoff game package no longer had rights to those seats for the next season.

So we said screw it and did not send them a dime! We weren't even going to go to the game because we were so pissed but at the last minute we decided to go and found two seats pretty close to where we sat anyway. Apparently there were a ton of season ticket holders that did the same thing we did.

22. Samphin

It's pathetic Kevin. Not having sold out until after they knew they couldn't see it on tv? That's awful.

And it was way back when too, right before it was better to watch at home than at the stadium. So let me change something slightly...Miami fans didn't sell out the playoff game in time. It is just as pathetic, especially considering how fun that game turned out to be. Either way, you are hanging up on a small point of a larger truth.

Which is that the Miami Dolphins ar enot a proud franchise, and haven't been for a very long time. These comments from Ross shouldn't surprise anyone, since Miami has done very little to be "proud of" over th ecourse of the last two decades or so.

23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    There now its better that the truth, as pathetic (and I agree with you on that one) as it is, has been agreed too. The game was a sellout by kickoff.

IIRC this was the one and only time that has happened for our franchise, and as Ozzy pointed out, there were some extenuating circumstances. Still its a lame excuse, but a legit one.

You know I can be very hard on our team (I am as pessimistic as ever for our future) but I just couldn't sit by and watch yet another untruth become a legend assailing the Miami DolFans. Who are far from the worst fans in the NFL. They are not the best, but far from the worst.

Ozzy likes this.
  24. Samphin

Just for clarity sake...the Oakland Raiders, who have, by far, the most blackouts in the modern era than any other franchise, never had a blacked out playoff game as far as I know.

But we are far beyond belaboring this point. Lets get back to how stupid our front office is, inept our coaching staff is, and untalented our players are. :hump:

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    A PLAYOFF GAME???

It's not the first Dolphins playoff game to be blacked out. In 1986 NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle made an exception to a game that was blacked out in essentially the same circumstances as the one you're talking about. That was in Dan Marino's prime, when the Orange Bowl was at its more ridiculous, at the end of the same season as the Dolphins-Bears MNF game. A game which was at one point delayed due to crowd noise.

Before that was an actual blackout in 1983, which came in a home playoff game a season after they lost in the Super Bowl, in what was Dan Marino's first playoff game his rookie season.

This "problem" is independent of success, or anything new, or whatever tree you are barking up. If anything, I'd say it ties right in to the the mentality that has people acting like the Dolphins are the ****ing Lions because they went 7-9 in back to back years without the whole thing being blown up.

When's the last time you went to a Dolphins playoff game out of curiosity?

padre31 likes this.
  26. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Well I agree with the 1st two for sure......the players I give more slack too :wink2:

27. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    My last playoff game was the 1985 AFC Championship which we lost to the NE Patriots. After that season I developed a very bad panic disorder which has prevented me from attending a Miami Dolphins since then. I've never been to Sun Life, which means I've never even been to a Marlins game ONCE. I am trying my best at cognitive therapy so that I can attend that home opener next year. I can't wait for that !

28. Samphin

First off, I live on the west coast and I have probably been to more Dolphin games than the majority of our fans. The las tplayoff game I went to...the Raider skicked out collective ***** in. A game that was completely sold out in a town that is about as poor as they come in every regard.

And your point to counter is that we, in fact, have had THREE blacked out playoff games...yay? All that does is further my point about this franchise not being a "proud" one for quite some time. So thanks for hammering the point home digusting cot....wait that's what Billszone calls you, my bad.

And since you seem to be in the habit of comapring our e-fan *****, when was the last time YOU went to a playoff game? Or even an actual regular seaosn game? Because I go to at least two a year and I live in ****ing San Francisco.

But please feel free to enjoy and be okay with this team going 7-9 year in and year out. Perhaps it is THAT attitude that has led this team to being okay with being mediocre. Perhaps if they do it again, they can all get a trophy too! Win-win.

29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, it doesn't make your point. Those are by any reasonable measure seasons fans can be "proud" of. It's independent of any measure of prestige. If the Dolphins were not "proud" then, then your measure is pretty much ridiculous.

The Browns game last year was the , pre-, post-, or regular season I've missed in the previous 15 years. So yes. So how'd you become a Dolphins fan, from out of state?

Really, has it? You're dramatically overrating what fan influence can actually do. Wait, that's it, isn't it? You feel like you might be able to make a change if you complain enough on an internet message board?

30. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    About the 1983 game....that had extenuating circumstances. That game was played the day before the Orange Bowl, in which Miami beat Nebraska for its 1st National Championship. I know that a lot of people in Miami had to make a choice, buy tickets to the Miami playoff game, or buy a ticket to the Orange Bowl. So a few hundred tickets not sold was understandable in a town that was going crazy before that OB. Some of you have never lived here, and have no idea how big a deal it was to have the Canes in the OB. It was the 1st major bowl they had been in since they were in the Orange Bowl in the early 1950's. Many people don't either know or remember that Miami was one of the worst NCAA programs in the 1970's, and the board of trustee's actually voted 10-9 to keep Miami football program after the 1977 season.

MrClean likes this.
  31. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    What was wrong with Ross' comments? They were absolutely correct. The players got way too much of the pie in the last CBA. Owners are rightfully trying to bring it back to the middle. The players are being greedy...

32. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    This is a deal that the owners have repeatedly agreed to, most recently just a couple years ago with some of the major agitators of this round like Jerry Jones claiming it was a good deal for everyone.

So either the owners are not the glorious John Galt style God-Kings of industry that we should slavishly worship, or they are lying. It's probably both, actually.