1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reality Check

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Zeke0123, Sep 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I Understand the frustration with losing the Jets game...It was after all the Jets..But honestly before the preseason no way in hell does anyone outside of Miami think we have a shot in that game and even in Miami only the extreme homers would have said so...now we fast forward to the end of the preseason and my goodness the team looks like it actually doesnt suck...I might even venture to say we looked "good" but we have 4 starters on the OL playing in either new positions or new to the team or new to the league and yet even after they got kitchen sinked they did NOTHING that would make you think they arent going to be a very strong unit sooner rather than later.

On the Defensive side of the ball we installed a brand new defense that has 5 guys playing new positions in the front 7 and yes they lost some leverage and got pushed around a few times they also managed to put the Jets QB under pressure on the ground and cough up a fumble...not bad. The secondary had 2 REALLY bad mental breakdowns that cost us big but that can and will be corrected Will Allen and YB look like they will be playing at a high level and thats damn good news.

now lets really take a look at the directions these 2 teams went in this offseason..

Its well known that Miami did a salary and veteran purge cleared out the cap and created a ton of room traded aging stars for Draft picks and started a full on rebuild....The Jets on the other hand filled up the cap as soon as the FA period started and never looked back leaving a burning trail of cash in their wake..they traded draft picks for aging veterans basically the exact opposite of what Miami did.

Did we get beat this game ? most certainly.. we didnt give the game away they took it.. props to them.. did the jets look like the better team on the field sunday...yes certainly.. they should have they have built a small window roster looking to win right NOW obviously the jets current regime want to make a push now without any real consideration for the future...hopefully they make the playoffs and do the one and done we are all pretty confident will happen and that Farve pick turns into a 2...Im sure that will leave us one more 3-4 front seven guy that we all crave :).

so lets try and put this into perspective...we have a young raw roster and a lot of the veterans we did retain are trying to learn new jobs AND new systems so lets just sit back and enjoy watching this team staff and FO grow.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nice post Zeke. The first part of the paragraph reminded me of our Miami Hurricanes.

I had us losing this game but putting up a fight with Pennington and it seemed to go that way. I was happy with the heart the team played with. We have several new players like you mentioned and they gave it all until the end. If this was the same team from last year, we would have been 20 points down and given up already. I liked Jake Long out there despite the couple penalties. I liked Bess out there. Will Allen impressed me a lot and showed why people should recognize him. I liked Roth's hustle out there and his motor. I thought he did a job well done in his first start at Linebacker. Fasano may have quieted some of his doubters with his hands. Martin looked good out there. It was said that he improved his blocking but who knew he would catch a few. We also had a lot of miscues though and that will be fixed. Despite those miscues, we were in the game until the last play and that's a positive.

We had many people upset in the game thread about our play and saying that this team was a one win team. I think that everybody needs to understand that this is a team that's rebuilding and it will be a process. We have several needs on this team and they can't all be fixed up in one off-season. Be patient with this team and they will come along. We have the right people running the ship and we are bringing in the right players.

3. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Thats why I love you Coach! Great post, and you're right on all spots. This was the Jets effort to be as good as possible, with no regard for the future. Complete recklessness if you will. And we STILL, were just one play away from beating them. The next 4, 5, 6, 10 seasons are going to be very looong and sad for them. Never again, will they have this great of an advantage, personnel and expereince wise over us. I wanted the win for personal reasons just like everyone else, but I let my heart forget where we are right now.

And as I said in another thread, we will hear The Jet fan's cries and lamentations by December(the latest) when reality bites, believe that.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Good posts guys, the game actually played out like i thought, i didnt think we would win for two reasons,

The stage was a little too big for this young group, they were nervous and it prohibited them in finding their confidence and rythym early, early being the key word.

Brett Farve...plain and simple, his ability to create and misdirect with his eyes and hands is downright scary and our players fell for it hook line and sinker.

I thought all our young guys played well which is so encouraging, the secondary played like young guys but their not. Lehan needs to start soon, hes the better player than goodman.

I get a feeling after watching all the pressers that this loss was unavoidable, they needed this game to figure out so many things, i have a feeling that they will improve each week instead of regress.

Bess, fasano, merling, langford,long and thomas showed me the future..very pleased with all of them.

Finfangirl likes this.
  5. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007

I dont expect anyone to accept losing..I wont but I also realise the amount of changing and growing this team needs to do even THIS year...its huge! the Jets had to absorb a few veterans into already existing schemes...guys like Faneca and Jenkins you expect it to be fairly easy...not so easy for guys like Long and Langford...now think about how well all of our draftpicks have performed even in their NFL infancy how can you NOT be excited about the prospects for their future ?? they didnt get overwhelmed in the game and that EASILY could have happened.. Instead they got better as the game progressed to the point that they had a viable comeback attempt and managed to make the Jets punt at "closeout" time...thats huge to me ..last years squad would have let the Jets get that first down and gameover...not this year and that is something to build on.

6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    another blessing to our team. he really had no business going undrafted. whats sad is, he probably is our best WR. and he's dynamic and fearless on specials. he's not gonna let the ball bounce on the ground. teddy doing that at the end of the game killed a good extra 10-15 yards in field position. totally could've changed the outcome of the game.

7. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

what honestly scares me, is that i think the Jets really aren't a good team at all. so where does that leave us? But I'm still cautiously optimistic.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    WOW, calling our rookie undrafted free agent the best receiver on the team is ballsy brother..........guess what....i agree.

The jets knew it to and were showing him double teams out of respect. What a find..Zeke said it well...al our rooks and fasano played incredible for their first game in the NFL.

I watched jake long make a couple of MENTAL errors however he did not get beat physically at all, in fact i watched him block two people on many occassions. much props to all our young guys..what a draft

9. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Good post Zeke... And lets not forget, if it weren't for Goodman biting HARD on that play-action or Brett's heave and a prayer getting REALLY lucky then we'd be talking about a W and how we just need to improve.

10. bgbdwolf31313

bgbdwolf31313 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hinesville, GA
    Honestly, I expect the first part of the season to be rough, to much new going on, two rookies starting on the OL, new system, new coaches. As long as noticeable improvement is made, I expect us to start doing better as the season progresses,and the rookies get more acclimatized to the actual speed of regular season play.

HULKFish likes this.