1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Red Sox Nation 2008 Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Phinperor, Mar 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    just busting balls lol it is only one game means nothing to me

i dont know about the rotation thing beckett is only one year removed from a 5 era season matsuzaka is way too inconsistent lester the same plus he hasnt pitched enough, wakefield is solid, bucholtz to me has the potential to be a stud ace but he has yet to pitch enough innings in the majors

i am not saying the yankee rotation is any great thing but wang has won 38 games with a sub 4 era in 2 seasons

pettitte has back spasms but is expected to pitch game 3 or 4 of the season after that it is a bunch of high potential rookies who have to prove themselves

hughes had a 3 era in september had his velocity back after the hamstring injury last season and dominated the indians in the playoffs, kennedy i look at in the same light as bucholtz, i dont see kennedy as an ace but a good middle of the rotation guy

and mussina who knows will we get the 2006 edition or the 2007 has had injury problems

i think both teams SP is questionable but there is potential in both i think both teams make the playoffs i am not sold on the tigers just yet there rotation outside of verlander is horrible especially with willis joining it, and there pen is also horrendous they dont have zumya until mid season

heres to a good season though

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Both rotations are huge question marks. And I think the key to the division will be with the younger pitchers (Lester/Buchholz and Hughes/Kennedy). I personally think the Red Sox have more depth in pitching. If Lester ever learned how to throw strikes, he clearly has good stuff he just throws way to many pitches.

I do think it's funny that people are saying (not you Bran, just in general) how the Sox are doomed because Beckett had back spasms but Pettite has it too but yet no one is worried. People are only making a big deal about Beckett because the Sox had to play real 2 games in March, if they never had to it wouldn't be an issue.

If I were a Yankee fan I'd seriously worry about Mussina and if he could effectively pitch a full year and be somewhat decent. I'd also worry about Pettite with all of the riods/HGH crap that happened this off season (although Pettite is a veteran and a gamer but you have to mention it could effect him). I'd also worry about Wang too as he's been exposed big time last playoff, will there be a carry over? Who knows. I do have to admit I'm very impressed with Hughes and Joba and think that they'll be very good (especially Joba if they leave him in the 8th). Kennedy on the other hand is a serviceble pitcher but I see him as a #3 at best, he reminds me of a Maddux type who doesn't throw hard but throws strikes however he obviously doesn't have Maddux stuff. But again Kennedy is much better than the Aaron Smalls, Shawn Chacons and Tyler Clippards of the world so Yankee fans shouldn't complain about him by any means.

And yes I agree about the Tigers. They added Miguel Cabrera who is one of the best hitters in baseball, Willis who was below average in Quadriple A the last 2 years and Renteria who last time was in the AL was terrible not to mention 3 years older. They have absolutely no bullpen and after Verlander there isn't a pitcher on their staff that I'd take over any of my guys in the Sox rotation (Bonderman maybe if he would make 30 starts but I'm not sure he'll finish the season because of his elbow).

I think the West got very interesting now that Escobar might be out for the year and Lackey won't be back until May at the earliest.

I really think it's going to be a fun season, can't wait for it to start...... again.

Phinperor likes this.
  3. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I know bro, just bustin' back. :hi5:

4. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

No worries about Moose. We got this guy named Joba who can start and Alan Horne in the minors

5. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    true i understand about beckett and his back getting too much attention, beckett is just getting some time off to make sure it is fully healed no big deal

also about pettite the HGH stuff could bother him but i dont think it will i think it could if clemens is brought up on anything and andy would have to testify or something then i would worry about him

but i agree with the tigers i think they are very overrated and with the west i think this is the year of the mariners lol

as for starting the season again i think they should do exhibition games over there i said this after the yankees and devil rays played it is ridiculous to go to japan play 2 regular season games and then comeback and play spring training it is dumb

6. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    There should be worries about Moose because no one knows if Joba will be an effective starter in the majors I think he will be better off in the bullpen for his career. Should Joba have to start that would be a huge loss for the bullpen as they wouldn't have a setup man unless you would like seeing Kyle Farnsowrth come in for the 8th inning. Alan Horne I'm sure will be able to come right in and face a major league line up without much difficulty. What I'm trying to say is Yankee fans should indeed be worried about Moose as neither of the guys above will likely not be able to successfully fill their new roles.

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The problem with Joba and Horne is that I have thrown the exact same number of innings as a major league starter as both guys combines (which is zero in case anyone wants to know). Joba was incredible in the 8th inning role last year so even if he starts in the pen this year it'll probably take him a good 2 or 3 weeks in the minors to strench his arm out to give them innings as a starter. While that's going on the Yankees will have both Farnsworth and Hawkins pitching in key spots in games. Plus again who knows what Joba can give the Yankees as a starter. Can he continue to throw 98 mph in the 5th or 6th innings? Once he goes once past the batting order are the batters going to adjust to his pitches etc? Can he physically handle starting? Remember the main reason the Yankees got him when they did was because of health concerns about his arm and knees.

As for Horne, I've never seen him pitch so I can't get excited or worried about him. Again even if the Yankees call him up that means that now they are counting on 4 young 'rookie' arms in the middle of a playoff race.

Personally as a Sox fan I'd love it if the Yankees moved Joba into the rotation in the middle of the year because it will weaken their bullpen in a big way and may not even be a big factor in the rotation. We'll see though.

8. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    :pity:

Escobar talking about his career might be over is troubling. Lackey needs to come back strong as quick as possible and any more injuries to the rotation and it could be over before the race really gets going. Lackey/Weaver/Garland/Saunders/Santana is still a pretty good starting 5, but depth is an issue and it has a lot of question marks and the potential for disaster at the back end. I hated to see OC go but things would be looking even grimmer if Garland wasnt around because now you'd have to rush Adenhart to the majors. Maybe they'll be able to move Juan Rivera or Reggie Willits for another arm.

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Even without Escobar for the year and Lackey missing a month and a half I still think LA is a better team than Seattle (no one talks about how Berdard and Felix are injury risks too). Ervin Santana is going to be the wild card for the Angels. If the guy could ever pitch on the road like he did at home last year the Angels will be fine. He's just a mystery and a half on the road for whatever reason. I don't think the Angels could get much for Willits but I think they could get a good prospect/pitcher for Rivera if he can prove he's healthy (I'm thinking maybe a Jason Jennings type pitcher). Not sure if Rivera could learn to play 1st then the Angels could possibly move Kotchman or Morales. The Angels have tons of chips to move if need be.

10. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i think joba will be in the pen until melancon is ready he is hyped to be this years version of joba

i am not worried about joba being a starter he has been great in it from college through the minors, the only problem is he will have to get his feel back for his curve and changeup since in the pen he basically just throws fastball slider and every once in a while he will throw his curve

melancon is another hard throwing pitcher who i think can come right in around the all star break and fit into the setup roll and then if moose is stinking it up joba can slide right in to the #5 spot

next year the yanks have the potential to have a dominate pen if humberto sanchez/mark melancon can stay healthy plus cox is throwing again

all this is easier said than done but i think this is what will happen

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    One thing I disagree with is that someone in the minors can just come up and be as good as Joba was so quickly in any system. Joba is no doubt one of a kind and I have a hard time believing that any prospect in the minors in any system could do what Joba did last year.

I doubt Melancon will be up with the Yankees this year considering he only threw 9 innings in low A ball last year. Not saying he won't be up but I wouldn't bet on it.

12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire

from what i have read and heard they expect him to rehab and see what he can do and if he is healthy he will be a call up to try and take over the 8th inning and have joba work on becoming a starter

it may not happen but thats just what i heard and read he did pitch in college so it is not like he is a 18 year old or whatever but we will see man i cant wait for monday for the REAL start of the season

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It was nice to see Eric Gagne blowing games in another team's uniform today. I do feel bad about the Brewers though.... being a small market team I guess they can't afford scouts to watch the games he pitched in. Atleast it was only a 1 year deal but you can kiss that 10 million dollars goodbye.

14. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Not when he is on your fantasy team.:pity:

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    :lol:

Yeah well you might want to look elsewhere for saves. Seriously I don't want to say Gagne is done but between his stop in Boston and now today he's going to have a real tough time bouncing back.

16. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    The first week of the season doesn't start until April 6th so I will see how he fares the next 5 days and then decide if I put him in the opening day lineup I do have Todd Jones, Johnathan Broxton, Tom Gordon and Brad Lidge who is on the DL right now.

17. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Bring on the A's ! I really hope Dice-K has a better showing this time around.

Damn, just realized I have Blanton pitching on one of my fantasy teams, he gave up three runs all in his final inning against Boston in Japan...to bench or not to bench :unsure:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  18. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I'm sure you guys saw the thread I made in here but would any of you be interested in a fantasy baseball league I need to fill two more spots and the draft is tomorrow night.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sorry man, I can't I'm already in way too many leagues as it is I don't want to be 'that guy' who never makes moves etc. Ask me early next year and I'll see what I can do.

20. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Don't know if I like the new lineup with Ellsbury leading off the Pedroia Youkilis combo worked great last season guess it is worth a try and if it works out the Red Sox will have an even more effective offense.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I like it and I personally think they should go with this lineup when everyone is healthy:

Ellsbury, Pedroia, Ortiz, Manny, Lowell, Drew, Youkilis, Varitek, and Lugo.

Yeah Youkilis is a big OBP guy but I actually like his bat a lot towards the bottom of the order because it's a black hole with Tek and Lugo.

Phinperor likes this.
  22. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    even though i hate boston matsuzaka is looking pretty good tonight for you guys

23. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Yeah he has been lights out not including the solo HR by Cust and the home plate umpire gave us that run it looked like Youkilis was out.

24. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    if matsuzaka can get over his inconsistencies he can be a lights out pitcher, he has stuff but if he can stay consistent and pound the zone like he is tonight you have a great pitcher

but have to wait and see if he can continue through out the season

but ortiz is slumping early

25. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Matsuzaka struggled back in Japan but that could have been the pressure he had pitching in Japan again. If he pitches to his full potential him the Sox will have an amazing rotation of course if Beckett is healthy for majority of the season.

I'm not worried about Ortiz it has only been a few games but if he continues to play poorly for a month or so then I would start to worry.

26. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire

true but like i said you have to wait for the season to develop and see what happens, i think matsuzakas early struggles in japan had to do with nerves i mean he is a legend over there

but this is going to be a fun season we all know when the yanks and red sox face off pitching is rarely in the question usually they just beat the **** out of eachother:tongue2:

27. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Screwed out of a home-run but they still got a run out of it.

Coco is worthless offensively I think Helen Keller would be more effective.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I only saw one replay of the play but it didn't look like the A's catcher ever tagged Youk.

Nice to see Matsuzaka throwing well. Looks like Beckett is coming off the DL on Sunday so good news all around right now.

29. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    It was a very close call and IMO I thought he was out.

Are the Sox playing at Fenway? I guess they call it Red Sox Nation for a reason.:shifty:

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    There is no such thing as Red Sox nation, don't you ever listen to The Hankensteiner?

31. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Papelbon made the A's look foolish during the 9th inning.

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I thought it was very telling that Francona choose to go with Papelbon over Manny Delcarmen in the 8th for one out. It looks like he doesn't trust Manny. I think the Sox need to throw him into big spots and see how he does tha way they know whether or not if they can trust him or if they need to get a power right hander by July.

Or maybe it was just one game and I'm looking too much into things but I don't really remember even last year the Sox putting Manny in a big spot.

33. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Hey Folks, glad to see everyone again.

Lester pitched great yesterday, glad to see him bounce back. Papi went deep so now I can stop hearing about him not having a hit.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  34. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Greenie is in the house!:up:

35. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Red Sox are looking really good and we have not even seen Beckett yet! Wooooo Hooooo

36. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Are you guys gonna let anyone other than Dice-K and Lester pitch? Or go with the 2-man rotation made famous by the 'Gas House Gang' in the 20's?

37. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Josh Beckett to start Sunday I believe.

38. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Welcome aboard GM! :hi5:

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It is nice to see Lugo and Varitek hitting well to start the season. Now if only Coco could hit and we could spin him for a healthy guaranteed Rich Harden..... (hey it worked in MLB The Show '08).

40. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    The odds of Coco being useful on offense are slim to none he is a great 4th outfielder but an average starter because of his bat.

PS I'm going to have to try that making that deal in my chise for the Show.