1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Red Sox Nation 2008 Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Phinperor, Mar 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. screamer

screamer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Manny is on fire! Big Papi... had some hits last night so hopefully he will be out of his funk!

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ortiz has been a terrible slump something like 2 for 40 before last nights 2 hit game. I believe he only has 1 HR and 1 or 2 RBIs (none since April 2nd).

It's cool you're a Cub fan, I absolutely love Wrigley and try to go to a few games there at least once every few years. I'm hoping for a Sox/Cub WS.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nice win tonight. Lowrie looked a little jumpy at the plate but it's understandable in his first MLB game, he did get a big hit and 3 RBIs.

Well it's on to the Bronx tomorrow for a 2 game series. Hopefully Buchholz will pitch as well as he did at Fenway on Friday vs the Yankees.

4. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Bring on the Yanks!

5. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Red Sox Nation is looking gooood!

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Way to go Ortiz. Hopefully Papi is back, that was a big opposite field homerun. We do need Lester and Dice-K to step it up and start walking guys, these guys are gonna kill our bullpen by the end of the year at this rate.

7. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Manny is crushing the ball if he keeps this up he will be AL MVP he is playing that well.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The team is rolling along right now. I thought it was important that they have a strong April especially considering all of their traveling and the tough opponents they had to face.

Right now there's not a lot to complain about. Now that Ortiz is starting to hit along with Manny this team could be very scary this year.

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Another Sox game, another great comeback. I am glad I didn't turn off that game. The Rangers bullpen is brutal.

10. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    That was a great comeback today!

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think this comeback is important today. The Sox last year only had a hand full of games where they came from behind and won. That was actually a big weakness with the 07 Sox, they rarely came from behind late in games to win. But it was nice to see today.

Wakefield pitched a lot better than his line showed but it was good he gave the pen some much needed rest, hopefully Buchholz tomorrow can give the team 6 strong innings. I LOVE the Sean Casey signing which is looking like Theo's best move in the offseason. The guy is an absolute pro like the Millars, and Muellers of the world. Great signing, I'm shocked that no one picked him up and he's not even making a million.

I'm also liking what I see from Lowrie. The kid seems like he's in the Pedroia/Ellsbury mode which nothing effects him or bothers him which is good. Looks like he's a solid defender at any of the 3 positions he played and he has a pretty good bat so far. I hope the Sox hang onto him, for next season because I can definitely see them dumping Lugo in the off season.

12. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Playing the Rangers is nice. So far we have 11 BB's through 7 innings. As soon as Gabbard left with back spasms the flood gates opened. Good to see Clay go 6 strong with only 2 BB's. J. Benoit has just entered the game, can we pinch hit Manny.

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    How the heck did we put up 8 runs with the line up today? Wow.

Ellsbury basically turns a single/HBP/BB into a double (depending on whether the catcher throws the ball away or now) I love his speed.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Beckett out with a stiff neck. David Pauley is starting in his place, Thurston will be cut to make room for Pauley.

Hopefully Pauley has a nice game tonight to raise his trade value ala Kason Gabbard last year.

15. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm beginning to hate Fenway more and more...

16. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Sox have had the Angels number the last couple of years. Game is tied 6-6 now, it would only be fitting for Big Papi to break this tie.

17. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    The home grown talent comes through once again, Ellsbury and Pedroia are having great games.

As I'm writing this Papelbon just struck Matthews out with 99 MPH fastball that is untouchable stuff.

Wooooooooooo he just hit 100 against Vlad.

Edit: Papelbon=Game over

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I can honestly watch 162 Sox/Angel games, every game is very well played with a lot of excitement. Of course if the Sox didn't seemingly always win I might not think so.

Great win tonight with having David Pauley starting tonight. He did his job pitching into the 5th. Papelbon was lights out again.

Great to see Ellsbury go yard 2 times and then lay down a bunt single in the 8th to get it going. I love the Ellsbury/Pedroia top of the order combo. Coco getting hurt is the best thing that happened, it's going to be tough to see a platoon when he's healthy now that Ellsbury pretty much took the ball and ran with it.

19. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    thanks guys...it'd be some nice help if you guys sweept them

20. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    ****ing red sox
    i have to give props though they know how to comeback ellsbury seems to making adjustments and pedroia you would think someone who swings the way he does would miss alot but he never misses

as a yankee fan i tip my hat for now.......

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Some news:

Matsuzaka is the latest Sox to get the flu, Lester is taking his place tonight.

Pauley was sent down and Craig Hansen has been recalled. If he could somehow pitch like he did at college it could be a huge boost for the Sox pen with a power arm. He's been lights out in Triple A this year so far.

With Hansen being up that means that the Sox, 4 first round picks in the '05 draft are with the Sox right now (Ellsbury, Hansen, Buchholz and Lowrie). You have to be extremely happy with the Sox drafts since Theo came aboard.

screamer and Phinperor like this.
  22. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Theo is the man, 'nuff said.

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Rumor: Justin Masterson was suppose to have a Double A start tonight but he apparently never took the mound and word is he is heading to Boston to pitch tomorrow. If true I can't wait to see the kid pitch, should be fun. Expect a ton of ground balls that's for sure.

24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    As for Craig Hansen tonight, I think he pitched very well. Yeah he gave up a HR but he was throwing strikes and his slider looked the best it ever did. I really do think he can help the Sox this year.

25. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Theo is the man, for sure!

26. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    even though i hate the red sox( i am actually from new england so go figure)

hansen has talent

i think he may have been rushed up to the majors

the last time i saw him was in a spring training game last season against the reds and he walked a couple batters hit a batter and had to be taken out

he didnt look compfortable at all

but the guy has some serious talent just have to see how it goes will he be a dominant reliever or will he be a farnsworth type that has a great arm but cant put it together

27. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    :up:

GL vs Baltimore. :tongue2:

28. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008

Rex Hudler on the radio was really impressed, and he looked good in the inning I saw on tv. You guys are pretty stacked with young arms it seems

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He was absolutely rushed in panic moves because the '05 Sox pen was pretty bad due to the injury to Keith Foulke. He changed his pitching motion and wasn't able to throw his slider for strikes or have any movement on it.

Right now I think Hansen can go either way as in a dominant reliever or a Farnsworth type. Hopefully he won't end up like Farnsworth though but last night was encouraging.

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good to know I'm not just being a homer about Hansen last night. He really did look good. You just have to tip your cap to Kotchman who hit a good pitch a long way.

31. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Masterson was pretty filthy. I feel kind of bad he gets a ND because he definitely pitched well enough in his first start to earn this win. Another great Angels/Sox series.

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just a great game tonight and good win. Lester was absolutely dealing tonight, giving up 1 hit in 8 innings striking out 6 and walking only 4. He got ahead of hitters and really attacked the zone. Papelbon is just flat out nasty.

Pedroia made the play of the year so far on Wells' shot up the middle.

Next up Matsuzaka vs. McGowan.

inFINSible likes this.
  33. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Great pitching from Lester. He said he was trying to pound the zone more instead of nibble and it seemed to work.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I know in the last 6 games the Sox are 1-5 however there have been 4 gems pitched by Buchholz, Beckett, Masterson and now Lester. As long as the pitching is there I'm not worried because the offense will heat up.

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good to see the offense come alive and the Sox finally beat the Rays.

Buchholz is really dealing right now. Colon pushed back his opt out clause to June 1st now. But when June 1st rolls around and Buchholz is throwing like this its going to be hard to send him down. This stuff has a way of working out though so we'll see.

Beckett is going tonight and you can bet he's mad about losing last Sunday.

36. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    More offense for Beckett to work with tonight and the Sox pick up the easy win. Glad to see Manny finally pick up a few RBI's after his longest non-rbi stretch with the Sox. Lester against a fresh of the DL Kazmir, it will be interesting to see if he can quiet the Sox bats, or we can pull out a sweep in this series.

ILPhinFan88 likes this.
  37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'll be interested to see if Lester can work off of his success against the Blue Jays last outing and throw strikes.

38. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Lester has been pitching well. Going to be cold and damp in Boston today!

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Delcarmen is starting to get on my nerves. The guy is a power righty that the Sox desperately need yet he can't throw strikes and when he does its a belt high fastball. Maybe a Triple A invitation could help him out but I don't want him anywhere near a baseball in a tight spot right now.

40. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hansen is called up with Moss going on the DL. Hopefully Hansen continues to pitch well and takes the ball and runs with it.