1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Red Sox Nation 2008 Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Phinperor, Mar 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Interesting:

Justin Masterson, SP BOS
    News: According to the Providence Journal, the Red Sox are sending Justin Masterson to Triple-A to convert him to a short reliever and Clay Buchholz will be recalled to start Friday. "We wanted to, at some point, get Clay back here and in the rotation," Francona told the paper. "We also think getting Justin acclimated to the bullpen has a really good chance to help out ballclub." Masterson will join the PawSox on the road and pitch Wednesday in Richmond and Friday and Sunday in Norfolk. "There's not a firm timetable, but the idea is to get him acclimated where he can come help us.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    See I would tend to agree however he's been burned many times this year on going to his lesser pitches (he's given up a lot of HRs on hanging splitters and even Cano's hit in the 9th was on a 2 strike slider). I mean it's Brett Gardner he should have been able to blow a fastball by him.

EDIT: Remy said tonight that Gardner's hit was on a splitter.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Lugo is making too much money to bench him. Seriously that's probably the reason why. It happens all the time with teams. However I will see that I can definitely see Lowrie taking at bats away from Lugo in August, Sept and possibly even Oct. The Sox showed that they weren't afraid to bench veterans for rookies in big spots, I can't see how this is any different.

I do think that the Sox would be better off calling up Lowrie to start and putting Lugo on the bench and either cutting Cora or sending Moss down.

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I always wondered if it would have been possible to get Beckett and Lowell without having to trade Hanley, but I just don't see a way for that to have been worked out.

I'd still do that trade everytime though as the Sox were getting a young ace. You can replace a hitter, you can't replace pitching.

Plus there were a lot of legit concerns with Hanley in terms of his attitude, work ethic etc that people don't realize.

Phinperor likes this.
  5. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Agreed, not to mention that Lowell has been a nice surprise as well as a throw in when everyone thought he was done. :yes:

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Masterson was sent down in order to get ready for the pen. Buchholz will start Friday. Can't really argue with these moves. Excited to see Buchholz back in the big leagues, hopefully his work in Triple A helped.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta

Buchholz has been killing it at AAA, I can't wait to see him back. I like Masterson in any role for the Sox, he has been that solid so far.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nice Sox win tonight. Nice to see DiceK out there past the 5th inning. Has Okajima gotten back on track? I hope so but I need to see more.

Nice to see the Rays finally lose. Looks like I'll be rooting hard for the Yankees the next 2 days.

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    * Red Sox Trade Wish List
    Tony Massarotti of the Boston Herald takes a look at Boston's wish list, some of which could be fulfilled via trade this month.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1105377&srvc=rss

The Red Sox are still looking for an heir to Jason Varitek's throne. Apparently the Sox have inquired about catching prospects. The Rangers are considered to have the game's largest surplus at the position.

Julio Lugo is signed through 2010, but the Red Sox are looking for a better long-term option at short. Massarotti doesn't mention how Jed Lowrie fits into the plan.

Massarotti says the Red Sox are "closely monitoring" Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira. Their interest will be linked to David Ortiz's health.

The Sox are also in the market for a left-handed setup man. Names to consider: George Sherrill, Brian Fuentes, Damaso Marte, Ron Mahay, and Jeremy Affeldt.

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Very nice win tonight, especially since it was a come from behind and the Rays lost. Only 5 back in the L column.

On a side note I'll be in FL for a week for a wedding (not mine thankfully) I might check up on you guys if I have time. If not hopefully by the time I get back the Sox will continue to stay hot.

11. screamer

screamer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    What a game today! Hotter than a witches arse! I felt like I was in Miami for a game.

12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Where in FL?

Great win and hopefully we can start a nice streak of wins. Also does not hurt the Rays lost

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Maybe the future is now:

Jed Lowrie, SS BOS

News: The Boston Red Sox placed shortstop Julio Lugo on the 15-day disabled list with a left quad strain on Saturday. Lugo was injured Friday night while running out an infield single in the ninth inning of Boston's 7-3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles. The Red Sox called up shortstop Jed Lowrie from Pawtucket to replace Lugo. Lowrie was in the lineup for Saturday afternoon's game with Baltimore.

14. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Youk and the rest raked yesterday. Manny seems to be putting good swings on the ball again now, and Wakefield had a great start.

15. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Close one today, thought Pap was going to blow it for a second but Pedroia came through with a great play to save the game. :hi5:

16. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Pedroia is a stud at second base!

17. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Back in first place before the All-Star break.

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Great win and its very nice to be in 1st before the break

19. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008

Papelbon is starting to piss me off with his reluctance to throw anything other than his fastball.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I was in Orlando, the wedding was at Disney World.

Anyway nice to leave town with the Sox in 2nd and when I get back they're in 1st. Before anyone wants to talk up the Rays can they please win a few games at Fenway or in New York first? If they can't do that, they have almost no shot at winning the East or even making the WC.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    By the way I just turned on the ASG and saw Boggs in a Yankee hat. I understand it's in NY and all but he went into the HOF as a Sox. Anyway he's dead to me much like Clemens, I hope the Sox don't retire Boggs' number.

screamer and Phinperor like this.
  22. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I was thinking the exact same thing...just playing up to the crowd. Like you said about Boggs and Clemens, although once loved they are now dead to me.

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sox signed their top draft pick Casey Kelly. Hopefully they can sign their other top picks now.

Another else excited for Sox/Angels tomorrow night?

24. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008

:yes:

Got my tickets for Sunday's game, cant wait.

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nice! Too bad you have to see Wakefield instead of one of the other 4 Sox pitchers. Should be a fun series though. I expect a Sox offensive pounding tomorrow with Lackey on the mound. He's a great pitcher however he just can't beat the Sox, especially at Fenway.

NOTE: Ortiz started his rehab assignment tonight and already homered!

26. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Seems like every time I got see the Angels play Weaver is pitching, even when I went to Seattle lol. I like Weaver, but I was hoping I'd get to see Lackey vs Beckett or Santana pitch. Should be a good series either way.

My fantasy team needs Ortiz to come back, so glad his rehab seems to be going well so far.

27. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I got tickets to Sundays PawSox game I hope Ortiz will be playing, The Providence Journal says he will be but I'm still not sure.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He'll be there and will play. Ortiz said he wants to play in 5 to 7 games before he returns to the Sox.

29. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    That is great news there, some thought we couldn't sign him. Now can we get him to pitch, although I am sure he will see lots of the field too.

30. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    I think I read somewhere that they are going to send Ortiz to AA ball first then 2-3 games at the Paw sox.

31. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Well he is definitely in Pawtucket right now so unless they send him down for a few rehab starts I don't think he will be playing AA ball barring a setback.:tongue2:

32. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Think there is a * in the rules about how players get their numbers retired. That * is for players who go and play for the Yankees. Automatically not in!:lol:

33. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Yeah you're partially correct. He's down in Pawtucket right now, but I believe he's only playing 2-3 games in AAA before the team sends him to Portland.

34. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008

Luckily for the Angels, the game is in Anaheim. :wink2:

Also, Papelbon better start getting his **** together. He has lost all confidence in his splitter. Back when he came up and strung together those two ridiculous seasons, he used his split as an out pitch. Now, he's not even showing it to hitters, and his fastball just isn't good enough to get hitters out without showing them anything different.

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well the Sox do have rules with retired numbers, you have to be a HOFer, go in the HOF as a Red Sox and even your career with the Sox. Of course they bent the last rule for Fisk and they should wave that rule for Pedro and Manny (if he plays for another team after the Sox).

The Sox should absolutely retire Pesky's number and there's no excuse for them not too. It's almost pathetic it hasn't happened yet either. The guy gave his whole life to the Sox as both a player, a coach, scout, and babysitter for Mo Vaughn. No one deserves it more than him.

Before last year I would have said Clemens and Boggs deserve their numbers retired but after all that crap with Clemens I'm leaning towards no, even if he never took riods while on the Sox and now no to Boggs too.

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't get why Cora is playing over Lowrie. Lowrie should be playing everyday so the Sox can see if he could handle SS at the MLB level. Cora is just a back up and is it just me or does he seem to make errors at big spots/the worst possible time lately?

37. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta

Cora has been brutal lately, but he is one of Tito's guys and until its crunchtime it seems Cora and Lugo will still get the call. I too would like to see what Lowrie can do, but until we can move Lugo and the 2 years 18mil, he is gonna keep getting playing time.

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm not sure most people realize that Cora's defensive skills aren't as good as they were even last year. The guy really has no range anymore, he's basically a left handed hitting Lugo with no speed, power, arm or range.

39. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    You also have to play at least 10yrs with the sox to be considered also. I just got that whole low down on that in June. I went to Fenway with my sons class for the tour. The guide told us, but as usual... I was paying attention totally. We were on the Green monster and I was looking out at the rest of the ball park when he was speaking...dummy.

40. screamer

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    Lowrie should be out there for sure. Just like you said, so we can evaluate his game.