1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Spots on Skin When I Work Out

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by 2k5, May 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    So I've never had a problem with this before, but this winter after an intramural basketball game, I got these red spots on my left arm. I didn't really care that much and just kinda ignored them, but I think they kept coming back when working out. Anyway, was playing tennis today with my friends and one of them made a comment about them. This time they were all over my stomach and neck but that was it. I was hoping they would stop appearing randomly, just like they started but I'm a little worried about it now. I think they are unattractive so I'm wondering if there is something I can do to prevent it. Does anyone know what these spots might be? They either go away or fade back to my skin tone when I'm not working out.

Thanks.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I dont know exactly what they are, but I can tell you that I used to get them all over my palms when I played football.

I don't know if your spots are the same, but I've been told mine were heat related.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    They sound like hives to me.

If you get them when your sweaty and itching, that's probably it.

It could also be from the heat, as was mentioned before.

4. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

I have what's called cold urticaria, which is basically an allergy to cold. If I go outside for an extended period of time and get cold, I get hives everywhere that gets cold.

As I understand it there are a number of environmental allergies including allergies to heat and such. Taking an antihistamine before being exposed to cold was the suggestion I was given, but I've never tried it.

So, I'd try an antihistamine before you work out to see if that helps...

5. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the help so far.

To clarify, they aren't bumps, just discolorations, and they aren't itchy. I only notice them because of how they look.

6. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I used to get something similar when I would spar, but they were small bumps. The dermatologist told me that they pop up (pardon the pun) when sweat is prevented from leaving the pore.

If it persists and spreads you may want to see a dermatologist just to be sure.

7. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    hard to tell without a pic. I'd really recommend you see your regular doctor, especially if they're cosmetically bothersome and spreading.