1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Zone Calls

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Sep 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass again. Last year we beat the Jets by running the ball in the red zone. So why abandon that? Trying to pass it in the red zone in the 2nd half got us a Field Goal and then nothing. If you have a formula that has worked, why change it?

But last week on 2nd and 18/3rd and 20 we run the ball both times. Doesn't make much sense to me.

It's definitely too early to tell, but the Patriots game next week becomes Huge. Losing to the two teams your battling for the playoffs with at Home is usually tough to overcome.

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I was a bit confused there too. Surprised we didnt call any runs there. We were throwing the ball well though, and were not running very well tonight. so, I dunno. Goes both ways I guess

3. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Should have ran and would have scored. No way they stuff us down there 3 consecutive plays. ALSO, we should have had one time out left. When RB was tackled after the swing pass, he actually sat the ball out of bounds before his *** hit the ground.

4. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Really, two Pro Bowlers in Ronnie and Ricky and a guy who should/probably will be in the pro bowl in Polite. We were running the ball well enough to score with four chances from 3-4 yards out.

Even with the wildcat drive killers and horrible special teams and lackluster defense we still had a chance getting into the red zone two big times for only 3 points.

At least we threw to Marshall and trusted him and Henne! Finally the offense showed up, so I'm happy about that.

5. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    [​IMG]

SICK likes this.
  6. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't mind the passing plays. We had a great short/intermediate passing game working against them. People hate the fade patterns but they work when thrown correctly...Peyton Manning is brilliant with them. I never understand why we don't use Lousaka Polite down there either. He's unstoppable in that 1 - 1.5 yard range, you'd think it would make him a nice short yardage goal line back, a la McClain.

Ronnie Brown needs to be in the game more and it doesn't need to be because Ricky makes a mistake. He's our 2nd best player on offense--after tonight Brandon Marshall is outrageously freakish.

7. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    One reason is because our red zone RB can't hold onto the ball all of a sudden. Ricky is putting balls on the rug left and right (whether they are legit or not). I think that is the reason we saw pass so much, especially inside the 5. Having 2nd and the goal on the 2 and passing twice was the back breaker. Should have been a TD running the ball. No confidence in Ronnie to bang it in and for whatever reason they never tried Polite. Makes no sense, but RW's fumbleitis is probably the main reason.

8. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It wasn't just the pass, per se, to me. The formation was a spread. At the 3? If you are going to pass at the goal line, don't telegraph it!

If they went to an I-formation tight and passed out of that on play-action ... I can live with that. But, doing so out of a spread and a low percentage pass at that? Just ******ed.

9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I really, really try not to second guess Henning because he's been doing it for a living for quite a long time, but to me the goal line is where the Wildcat should be used the most often. I agree with the others too...Polite should have carried on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down if he hadn't made it into the endzone at that point.

10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Who knows. We complain when we run instead of passing. We complain when we pass instead of running.

The only time we don;t complain is when we win.

No, wait, we complained then too.

eric, Zod and adamprez2003 like this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    all you gotta do there is spread it out in the wildcat, like they did earlier in the game, and let ronnie do his thing..3 play's, come on..so ******ed.

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Although true, I tend think the fans are right. There is a time and place for play action, and 3rd and long is not one of them. There's a time and place to throw, and 3 straight on the 2 yard line is not one of them. Especially with our short yard running game.

Bpk likes this.
  13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don’t have a problem calling pass plays in the red zone.

I have a problem with the inability to complete passes in the red zone.

14. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    We complain when running, but not when it comes to the red zone. They didn't run at all, at least give it a try, especially on 1st and 3 or whatever it was with a chance to tie. They didn't even try to make it seem like they were going to run, it was obvious we were passing, doing that against a great defense is a recipe for disaster.

15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We stopped the Vikes on three consecutive plays with a tired defense. And, oh yeah, they had Adrian Peterson.

I hate second guessing calls at the end of the game because people only look at the results. If we run it three straight times and get stuffed, no one here would say "Well, that was the right call. We just didn't execute."

Hell no. We'd be screaming why we didn't pass when we had done it so successfully the entire game.

Should we have run it at least once? Probably. But either way it didn't cost us the game. The defense made sure of that.

Rocky Raccoon and cowboy82nd like this.