1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reggie Bush: Work Ethic & Multifaceted Weapon (Dave Hyde)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nice article

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-hyde-miami-dolphins-0827-20110826,0,6300473.column

If Bush is used properly he can be a major weapon.

Really, in my mind, the key to Bush's effectiveness will be the other RB's. The fact that Steve Slaton may be cut in Houston is something I think the Dolphins should look at if Slaton does not go to IR with a hamstring issue. If he can be healthy, he can be a runner who can get carries.

The concern for me is the need to use Bush as an every down back. Give him 12-14 carries and 6-8 passes and he should be a great player. If he has to carry the ball 20 times a game, that will be a negative for Miami.

We've potentially gone from a team that had two backs that were the entire offensive threat - rushing 35 times a game - to a team looking for runners.

If the rookie doesn't step up, it will be a challenge to use Bush properly.

Sceeto likes this.
  2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree he can be a dangerous weapon on offense. I would love him returning punts too.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The term "every down back" has been repeated here many times but I don't recall Sparano ever saying that. I heard him say "early down back" and that's exactly the way I saw Bush used against Carolina. In the article Bush talks about Kevin Faulk as a model for how he could be used. I really think that the fans and the media jumped on something they mis-heard or that Sparano mis-spoke. I think he was responding to the idea that Bush was just a third down back and said, "no, I see him as an early down back". And I agree with that. I think that's a big key to Daboll's offense being successful. Last season we just kept pounding our backs up the middle and when that didn't work put it all on Henne with plays that had a low likelihood of success. Daboll and Bush seem to be offering more options. We can run up the middle if Pouncey is doing well, but if he isn't then we can attack the edges. If the run isn't working then we can hit the backs out of the backfield for what should be easier throws and reads. I also expect that we'll see a ton of Marshall on shallow crosses coming out of the slot. It's always easier for the QB to hit those receivers that line up closer to the ball. Ideally we'd have a TE that that was a receiving threat to do that as well. Maybe Clay can provide some of that as an H-back.

Pandarilla and phineas64 like this.
  4. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Agree on Slaton. We talked about him a while back when it was rumored he was available for a 4th rounder. He would be a nice addition. It's going to be interesting on who else may be available off of final cuts.

5. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree with Rafael with that. In my opinion, "every down back", refers to a back that is playing on every down in some sort of fashion. I don't believe it has anything to do with Bush running between the tackles 20 times a game. I do believe that because of Reggie's versatility, he can be touching the ball many times in a game on each down the offense is on the field. That way he can be used more effectively.

6. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Raf, IF Bush can give us around 15 touches a game, I would be very happy.

7. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Agreed.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I preferred Ahmad Bradshaw or Sproles b/c I saw them as more complete backs, but I didn't hate the Bush signing b/c I didn't think he was too expensive. I also thought that he provided two specific skills that we really needed. One was the speed on the jet sweep out of the WC. The second and more important one though was his ability out of the backfield and in that area I felt he might be better than the other two backs if used well. Last year people would criticize Henne for checking down too often. I always thought that criticism was borne of ignorance. Henne checked down less often than other QBs like Brady and nobody criticized him. The difference was what the players who caught the ball did with those catches. And it wasn't primarily a ball placement issue b/c the Dolphins ran so many routes where the receiver was coming back towards the line of scrimmage. The primary reasons that Henne's check downs didn't produce as much were the system, the spacing and the receivers. The system was predictable and did a poor job of getting players in space. The spacing was poor b/c it relied on a strong middle running game and lacked players who attacked different areas of the field. And finally there weren't a ton of YAC players. Marshall could be one if he's in a system that provided better spacing and more conducive routes. And Brown might have been effective if thrown to out of the backfield, but he wasn't used that way. If Bush is used how Brown should have been used, he could provide a ton of big plays and help the spacing for Marshall. And all those check downs would then be lauded as smart reads. I would like to see Bush get about 12 carries and 5 catches per game.

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I would have liked Sproles and Bush. Hopefully L Johnson has a suprise season for us but id be afraid to put my money on that. Thomas appears to need that learning curve and there really is no time to waste we need to get every win possible from the word go.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Why? Those seem kind of redundant. Once you have one of those what you need is a complementary talent. I'm not that worried about Thomas. And pounders aren't that hard to find if you have a good center and a nice system that makes the D cover the whole field.

11. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Raf,

Do you think we will still be doing the wildcat? Just curious...

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I hope not, but yes, I think they will. Daboll used it in Cleveland and we have players like Thomas and Bush who have the right physical skills for it. But they might not unveil it until that Monday Night game against NE.

13. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Wildcat Part 2, vs the Patsies on MNF sounds good. May it work as well as it's inception vs the Pats. :)

mullingan likes this.
  14. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Bradshaw was clearly a more complete back. "Every down" vs "early down" is a bit splitting hairs. An early down back has to threaten both inside and out to some degree. Obviously if the line blocks well enough he can hit some open holes and be deadly. But, he doesn't have the power that, say, an LT had in his prime - and Bush is relatively thin (at 6'0, 203 - if he were able to gain 10 lbs and not lose much speed that would be a difference); LT is 5'10, 215.

But, Bush as an all around threat who can occasionally run up the middle but give you a wide open threat as an off-tackle back or a receiver is a factor.

The even deeper issue to me is Daboll and Henne. THe problem I've had with Sparano's thinking is it has been two dimensional. If, as in the past, he thinks of opening things up as just passing more but within the same structure, it won't work.

What really is necessary for Bush to excel is a dynamic offense. An offense that has multiple sets; that runs when it looks like pass and passes when it looks like a run; that can have an efficient passing attack that moves the ball around in short bursts as well as deep threat matches. That doesn't connect on 60% in short passes but on 75% of passes under 10 yrds and can churn out the ball (not in the same way as a WCO but in similar fashion). In some ways similar to the way the Patriots offense works. But that is very up tempo and fast and whether Mr. Daboll can coordinate that and Mr. Henne can execute - I just hope they are aggressive in that way.

The issue with Sparano in the past has been to start out slowly and conservatively. We'll see if he gets scared and goes back to what he likes out of fear after some bad execution.

Pandarilla likes this.
  15. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I am a Fan of Bush on facebook, and from his posts he seems to have an awesome attitude. I hope he stays healthy and plays well this season.

16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Thomas might be Jimmy Johnson 2.0. A big guy who runs too high and is good for only the occasional screen. I remember calling it right after watching his highlights (immediately following the draft). I certainly haven't soured on the kid this early, but it's not outside the realm of possibility either. I will say, however, that he shows a better burst and quickness than JJ did; more instinctive around the goal line. Probably better on pass protection, as well.