1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reid Fragel (Think He'll Be On Our Board)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Somewhat overlooked, Reid Fragel is a good fit for our O-line and I believe would be on the Dolphins board. He's also a converted tight end (Philbin once turned a TE named Eric Steinbach into a pretty good Guard at Iowa) like Lane Johnson, though not as gifted as Johnson.

Reid Fragel OT - Ohio State (Games Watched: 2012 - Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin 2009 - Various)

Height: 6'8"
    Weight: 308lbs
    40 time: 4.98/5.09/5.14 (depending whose measurement you take)
    10 d: 1.77
    3-cone drill: 7.62 (13th of 43 OL . Same time as Terron Armstead. Menelik Watson ran 8.31)
    20-yd shuttle: 4.68 (12th of 40+ OL. Same as Luke Joeckel.)
    Bench Reps: 33

His long speed may not seem great (and is irrelevant), nor his initial burst, but once he starts moving his feet he has great short area quickness and change of direction. Above average feet. For his height and size, those 20 yard and 3-cone numbers are very good. Add decent upper body strength, and the fact that he has only been playing O-line for a year and you have a RT with major upside and potential to develop into a solid starter at RT, if not LT eventually.

[video=youtube;sWq4N4SrvTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWq4N4SrvTg[/video]
    [video=youtube;nmhHZpQ8DF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmhHZpQ8DF0[/video]
    [video=youtube;oDx7kQF2Pq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDx7kQF2Pq4[/video]
    [video=youtube;b1h_BjYJ5uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1h_BjYJ5uo[/video]

High-School (Defensive Line)
    [video=youtube;4HKUqTZkwO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HKUqTZkwO4[/video]

My notes:
    - Short area quickness
    - Could extend deeper on kickslide
    - Handfights well
    - Blocked down inside well
    - Executed effective cut blocks
    - Susceptible to bull rush from stronger defenders. Not an in-line drive blocker
    - Good feet and ability to locate and lock on to defender at second level
    - doesn't give up on man, stays in his face
    - enjoys fiding someone to block
    - good job making initial block, then releasing to next level and making next block (ideal zone blocker)
    - stoning his man in pass pro
    - not dominant but looks to be an above average NFL prospect. Could be a starter, at worst a versatile backup at Tackle and Gaurd.
    - keeps adjusting his base for leverage once engaged to win battle
    - just never lets his man go
    - will have some trouble with elite edge rushers who can really bend arc, and with those same guys if they can redirect inside after selling the outside move... but every tackle not in the Pro Bowl has those issues

Would love to have this guy in the 4th round if he makes it there. I imagine the Dolphins pull the trigger on him either at 3b or in the 4th. Definitely by the 5th, as he'd be very good value there if he made it that far.

dolfan22 and Da 'Fins like this.
  2. Bpk

3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Dolphins flew him in recently.

UCF FINatic, Bpk and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. Bpk

Thanks. He seems like a very good fit. I hope the draft falls in such a way that he's there for us where we have him valued.

5. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    He has good enough feet and can get to the second level. The only tackles I like in the later rounds are Pugh, Quessenberry and Fragel.

Bpk likes this.
  6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The only negative I've heard is he has short arms relative to his height. On tape though I don't notice it. I cannot see why he isn't in the back half of the top 10 OTs.

7. Bpk

Yeah, watching the tape I don;t have any major red flags. I mean, some guys simply don't impress anyone enough to be high-rated because they don;t JUMP OUT at you for any one thing... they are decent at everything, but not FREAKISHLY large, or fast, or whatever. I think Reid Fragel falls into that category of a guy who is pretty good with movement, pretty good strength, 7/10 across the board and can be a bit overlooked.

I don;t know that he starts year one on a good team, but I think he will grow into a quality NFL starter. Especially in a system like ours.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I watched some film of him a few months ago, looks like a good OT prospect, long and athletic, pretty good combo of feet and power.

A bit off the path here, a name from the recent past crossed my mind today- Heath Benedict. Solid OT prospect, one heck of an athlete and baseball pitcher. I was looking forward to see how high he'd go in the draft, rooting for him, and he died a month before the draft. What a waste, what a tragedy. RIP Heath Benedict.