1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember OG?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TiP54, Jul 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-glove-remembering-oronde-gadsdens-epic-catch

Great article, about a great guy!
    He was polite, and a very classy guy.

:lol:

2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3iU1fOffY"]YouTube - Oronde Gadsden Catch Vs. Raiders[/ame]

That man could pull down the ball like no other

3. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I am sick, sick, sick, sick of people making Jay Fielder out to look like a terrible QB. For what the guy lacked in talent, he had guts, determination, was a great leader, was incredibly smart, and he won football games.

Fine... he wasn't Dan Marino. I get it. However, if Fielder, in your opinion, was a 'terrible' QB... in my opinion... you have rocks between your ears.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He made some nice catches. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan back then.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I agree.

We sure had a hard time replacing Jay for such a "terrible" player. Was he the best QB in the league? Far from it, but he wasnt a glaring hole either.

dolfan7171 and Larry Little like this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I respect Jay's guts and intangibles. His worst crime was actually just existing and being good enough to somehow prevent Wanny and the Front Office from ever thinking they should go try to get a GREAT QB. Draft after draft we went elsewhere with our picks. I mean, it ain't a mystery... in the last thirty years we have taken a QB in the first round only ONCE: Dan Marino.

We happen to have a starter who was a first round pick now: Chad Pennington. Both are the best two QB's we've had over the last thirty years. So, when a front office doesn;t draft QB's high... you get mediocre results. Having Fiedler helped create the sense we 'were okay' at QB.

Not Fiedler's fault. He was serviceable, made the most of his potential and was a good leader. We won a lot of games under Jay.

That said, I would have loved to see an effort to upgrade from him to an even BETTER QB. It peeved me that we were content with Jay. He'd have been a GREAT back-up QB behind a true 1st round, Pro Bowl caliber starting QB. Instead of a great backup though he was a "good" starter. That's all.

Regarding Oronde, I loved watching him. What made him was the mettle he developed in Arena league. He was fearless and played with great hunger to catch every single ball. Guys like that don;t ever want to go back to arena league.

That's why I'm not sure Turner fulfils his potential. He comes with a built in sense of entitlement, I'd think, being a USC guy (as compared to an arena league dude who gets a shot at the NFL). That said, our staff pushes guys. I got the sense Turner didn;t try his hardest nor was he as focused as he could have been in college. Guys like Sanchez have intimated as much and that Turner's best football is ahead of him. I think our staff may be able to get the most out of Patrick... maybe.

He doesn;t have oronde's hunger though. Damn that guy was a game day player.

Colorado Dolfan, gafinfan and MrClean like this.
  7. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Man Orende Gadsen made some amazing catches in heavy traffic. You needed someone to jump over 2 defenders and get the catch Orende was the man.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    freak of nature & a very special football player

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Great hands, superb WR. Fun to watch.

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Great football player with the type of talents and desire every team needs.

Also a great guy, which of course, every team needs

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I had the amazing luck of being at that game.

I try to buy tickets for me and my dad for a Father's Day present. That happened to be one of the years I could afford it. Huuuuge game. We had finally broken the 8 (i think) game losing streak to those bastards. That atmosphere was ridiculous.

The catch was incredible live. Everyone knew it was a pick, and the stadium went silent when it was in the air...OG makes THE GREATEST CATCH IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL, but it happened so fast it took another second or two for the crowd to realize what happened and erupt. I don't know if you can tell by the tv, but that ball had serious zip on it. They must have showed that catch a 100 times on the jumbotron. That day was the best football experience of my life.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Incredibly smart? not in a football sense the guy threw picks like they were going out of style. how could he be tough when he was constantly banged up.

He didnt win those games for us, our Defense did. He did fit into Wanstache's crappy mentality of playing not to lose though.

dolfan7171 and The Aqua Crush like this.
  14. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Yeah I agree FF. Fielder wasn't all horrible, but he wasn't anything good either. The only thing i can give him props for is that he was better than the next 10 or so qb's we had after him, but that's not a huge accomplishment either.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Another thing about OG is, he played hurt a lot. Had a torn tendon in his wrist I believe when he made that catch.

And he was among the most popular players in the locker room. Guys always had his back when it came to issues with management, etc.

I met him a few years ago. Indeed, those are bear claws he's got.

16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Does anyone have actual video of that catch against the Jets?

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Fiedler just didn't have a starting QB arm. He couldn't throw a quick out. He make Pennington's arm look strong.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Cant find it.
    Found the gif, but its already posted.

19. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Man he had to my favorite Dolphins receiver.