1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember the Two Buzzards....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RevRick, Sep 16, 2008.

1. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    In a very 'oulde' cartoon many, many years ago, two buzzards were pictured flying. One was looking very disgruntled, and told his compadre - "Patience? Hell! Let's go kill something!"

Now, I go back to the the early days of the Dolphins - whose struggles you can read about in some places, and remember quarterbacks like Dick Wood and John Stofa, and George Wilson, Jr. That's pre Griese for those too young. And I remember almost shooting my television in that San Diego slug fest when the winning (for the other team) field goal cleared the uprights, and shouting some great obscenities to my neighbor, who hated the Dolphins. So I have been as rabid a fan as anyone here. But, right now, I think heeding a call for some patience would definitely help with some poster's blood pressure readings.

We are all of two games into the first genuine rebuilding/retooling/rethinking of this team since the days of Shula, and it is overdue by a number of years. We have a few good draft picks, some who may be good, and some who are never going to live up to expectations - sounds absolutely normal. What grates our souls is the number of absolutely abysmal drafts we have had in the past 14 or so years - specially in the first part of the millenium. And, on top of that, there is a lot of built up anticipation and anxiety about our team resulting from years of frustration. Agreed?

But now, we have to look at this in perspective. We have it on good authority that it takes more than one, or even two, seasons for some positions, such as quarterback, and receiver, to "get it." It takes more than a season, usually, for an offensive line to come together. We haven't even had the same line together in two consecutive seasons for about - oh - six years. And the lines we did have could be considered mediocre if that weren't an insult to average. This team is on it's fourth administration in five years. We should be pleased that we aren't dealing with more of a Mongolian Cluster "Flop" than we are.

Anyone who really thought this team had a chance of winning more than six-seven games this year should not be allowed out of the house with large amounts of money. I don't live in South Florida anymore, but I remember large tracts of land west of US 27 which could be had cheaply! If we were to somehow win eight games, I would be overjoyed, and look forward with great anticipation to next year, and even more, the year after.

This leadership is shifting through players trying to find the right combinations for the team they want to build. At least they have some idea of what that is supposed to be. I don't agree with their methods in some cases, nor with their decisions, but at this point, I will be patient, and hope to see some incremental steps of improvement - now that the real games have commenced.

But, I would ask that we try to keep ourselves at least moderately calm when a young tackle blows an assignment and wonder if the team still can't make a draft pick; a still young receiver can't shake the defender and call for his head on the next trade; and the entire thing looks like forty tons of hammered horse poop when they've been together for all of eight weeks now. It will get better. Of that I am sure. When? I have no idea. But, the entire tenor of the team is changing, and those who cannot decide they are fed up with losing enough to keep at it until the final whistle blows, will find themselves doing something else for financial remuneration soon, I'd say. We can blow off steam, I hope, without sinking into gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression and excessive misery. I'll leave it to you to finish the rest. You who are old enough, anyway..

Shalom;
    Rev Rick

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Excellent write-up sir. I can't really say anything else, I really can't.

Alen

3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Rev...Maybe it's just me, but isn't that what the preseason is for ?? Seems to me they were more locked into who was starting where in the preseason and now, once the season has started are trying to "put the pieces together"...but to coin a phrase for this regime so far....if it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all...

4. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    I don't think that when 50% or more of the players on the team are changed that it would be safe to say that they can all be evaluated correctly in a very short time. Add in the fact that a lot of better (even marginally is an improvement sometimes ) players become available just before it's show time, and that this particular version of the team is not going to be ready for prime time yet. Add in the fact that preseason games are really auditions, and there is nothing on the line except jobs (enough of a problem!), and the situation just isn't as intense as the regular season. Sometimes there is no way of telling just how a person is going to react until under fire. Lord Nelson got seasick, and spent days nauseated when the fleet put to see. When the cannons started firing, he was a national hero. Go figure!

azfinfanmang and calphin like this.
  5. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Thanks, good read.

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Right on. Nothing wrong with this team that 2 or 3 more solid drafts and a QB (Henne?) can't fix.

7. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Good post, as always, Rev.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the only players on this team that we can critique our new regime on is our new draft picks, they are our's, parcells's and company drafted them and we can watch them closely.. the rest of the team is simply leftovers..Our regime had to put a product on the field, its not their fault what were seeing.

I look for a lot of players departures at the end of the year...porter, holliday, goodman, crowder just to name a few. experimenting with players at different positions shows me desperation just to field a competant product, once again not their fault.

Parcells was not exaggertaing when he took the job and said that the team was really bad and hasnt been afraid to use the word rebuilding, i think they have done a hell of a job fielding a team they were pretty much forced to use, cant get everybody you want in one year or even two..I dont look for us to be good next year either, better then this year however, henne will be in his first year, we'll have a whole new set of draft picks playin and and our rooks from this year will be in their 2nd year.

I love the way our rooks and starks are playing.....I HATE THE WAY OUR VETERANS OUR PLAYIN..

9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Very good post RevRick.
    This team and the way it has been put together very quickly reminds me of an expansion team. Considering it such will require lots of patience and some time. We finally have people in charge who appear to know the value of the draft and how to build a team. We need to let them do what needs to be done and remember that it may not be pretty but its heading in the right direction.

10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Very good point R-2 (My new-found nickname for you sir. Hope you don't mind it :up:) and an absolute top-notch Thread.:hi5:

At this point, this entire season is really nothing more than a very extended Pre-Season. The entire team needs to realize this and treat it as such.

Agreed that realistically this team was never going to win more than 4 or 5 games..TOPS.

So, that means it's time for the coaching staff and players to "Tinker" with things and find out what/who does work. When those things are found, they are polished and new things that will work are then exposed. That way, when the foundation of what/who works is in place and perfected, then and only then can we re-live the glory days.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    bro, you need to start a new thread with that point....we are exactly what you said...an expansion team...totally true.

12. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Oh well there's always booze. JK. Well somewhat. I do think things are improvingand will be better week 8 then now and better next year than this. I really hope we keep the momentum all the way to the SuperBowl sometime in the near future