1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Cardinals want a third-round pick for Boldin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TheAnswer385, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    That's nothing, make it happen.

2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Alot of teams will probably be willing to deal for him.

3. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    No thank you. Its just not a 3rd, its a third and whatever deal Boldin wants. Im sure he isn't going to want a bargain basement deal. Way to much money for an injury prone, 30 year old receiver.

GMJohnson likes this.
  4. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    yea, but you can count most of the NFC out due to Cads probably not wanting to deal with them.

5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Patrick Turner was a third round pick. Can we just trade him? :D

HULKFish likes this.
  6. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Its just a matter of the size of his contract I guess. I would give him a huge signing bonus and then a large amount his first year while there is no cap and then taper it off. a third for him would be great. I could definitely live with exchanging a third for him

7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    With all the talk about Denver being willing to take a 1st (only) for Marshall and AZ willing to take a 3rd for Boldin I just hope we don't sit on our hands through the FA period.
    I'm not a huge fan of trading away draft picks. But we have a huge need at WR and we aren't getting a WR of that caliber without giving up something. Antonio Bryant is not on these guys' level. Nor are we getting someone through the draft who can come in and provide the same immediate impact that either Marshall or Boldin would provide.
    I sincerely hope one of the two ends up with us.

HULKFish, jetssuck and TheAnswer385 like this.
  8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    wouldnt we better off drafting a yound TE with that 3rd? a rookie Dennis Pitta or an aging Boldin? which would you want?

finyank13 and Xeticus like this.
  9. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Agreed. I'd much rather spend that third round pick on Patrick Turner. At least we don't have to pay him much.

jetssuck likes this.
  10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I doubt Pitta makes it to the third.

And I would guess that the odds are considerably higher that whomever we could take in the third round will never be a starter than they are that he will eventually be a starter.

11. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Thinking more of the same. Picking ahead of us in round three are St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Buffalo. To our favor, Boldin may prefer to come to his home state, and he WILL have a say seeing how no team will deal for him without his willingness to sign a new deal, otherwise it'd be the same situation in a different uniform.

For a contender that is a playmaker away, I wouldn't be surprised if a bidding war to some extent breaks out and some team picking low in the second round offers that pick. The faster we strike the better. Pretty much all media outlets have Miami and Baltimore rumored; our pick is obviously ahead of theirs, so they'd have to move a second or multiple picks to beat our offer (if we make Arizona's demands).

12. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If he's healthy Boldin should give a team 3-4 years of high caliber play, its a pretty fair trade to get him for a third. He would improve all of the WRs on our team and make Henne a better Qb. The only questions for me are does he want too much money and is he healthy enough to make it through a 16 game schedule?

gunn34, HULKFish and Eop05 like this.
  13. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    The 3rd round pick is reasonable. How signable will he be. Think of it this way - just looking at it monetarily, how much does a 3rd round pick cost versus what it would take to sign Boldin? If we want to sign Dansby and possibly Rolle, who both want big money, maybe we would be better off passing on Boldin. You are talking about 3 guys who will not be cheap. Of course that is assuming the FO has real interest in signing any of these guys.

It's funny, how in the world did we end up looking at the Cardinals roster to try to pick players off of?

14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He has missed 11 games over the past 3 seasons and 2 playoff games. He is a WR that plays like a RB and takes punishment like a RB.

Not sure how much more he can take physically.

I'm leaning on the side of passing on him (Not to him)

finyank13 and Killerphins like this.
  15. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    They may be interested in taking crowder off of our hands.....

We get Dansby (Yes I know he is a free agent this is hypothetical) and Boldin for Crowder.

Call me nuts but I would pull that trigger.

Drop crowder and wilson off the books. Add Rolle Boldin Dansby. This would address 3 spots before the draft. Gives us more room to take BPA and even trade down stocking piling picks while making the team extremely better immidiately with impact players.....

HULKFish and Eop05 like this.
  16. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    For those of you clutching that third-rounder with a death grip:

Last year, in a season in which Boldin was troubled by injuries, on the outs with the organization and wasn't even the #1 receiver, he had 1,000 yards receiving. In the last 10 years, the Dolphins have had a wideout reach 1,000 yards once.

Meanwhile, in the last 10 years, the Dolphins have drafted the following players in the 3rd round:

Patrick Turner
    Kendall Langford
    Lorenzo Booker
    Derek Hagan
    Channing Crowder
    Wade Smith
    Taylor Whitley
    Seth McKinney
    Travis Minor
    Morlon Greenwood
    Ben Kelly

I'll take the risk.

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    No thanks. I love his game, I hope he gets paid. But a third round pick AND a 30 million dollar contract for a #2 WR is not a good idea. Hartline is a good #2 WR, he's cheap, and he's already on the roster. I'd give up a 3rd for Jordy Nelson, Early Doucet, Dwayne Bowe, or Devin Thomas though.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Boldin wants more money than those guys, combined.

19. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    When you start comparing Anquan Boldin to Brian Hartline, that's where you lose me.

20. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    I love how everone keeps thinking he wants and will get 30 million.....

This was so 2 years ago. Hartline and camarillo together will never pass up Boldin's career stats. Come on man.....

3rd for Dwayne Bowe? Doucet will be locked up forever or they would not give away Boldin. Boldin has 3 good years left. Think about it. Will any of those mentioned above compile more yards as a Dolphin in he next 3 years than Boldin would.

If nobody throws money at him I think the dolphins could get him at 7-8 million a year

I would throw him 6 and add incentives that could push him to 10 million if he plays every game and racks up 1500 yards

21. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    You're NUTS! LOL! And that would be one SWEET deal... I'm sure that would thoroughly mess up our bankroll though with cap-hits.

22. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    No Cap No Hits :pointlol:

Also dump porter and have even more room to sign the 3 and draft McClain smokes what an improvement!

23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the comparison is a good one considering compensation. as the poster stated hartline is already on the roster, is extremely young and you wouldn't have to piss away a mountain of cash and a pick for an aged unhealthy WR. remember the key is to not only get better but younger.
    some are way too damn impatient to understand that hartline has a ton of upside

24. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I respectfully disagree. I have seen nothing in Brian Hartline to suggest that he will ever have the same level of productivity that Boldin has now. Not saying it won't happen, but comparing the two by essentially saying "We don't need Anquan Boldin; we have Brian Hartline" is, frankly, ludicrous.

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You cant help it if Miami drafts like crap...there are good players still in the 3rd....Boldin wants 7 milly a year min.....pass!!!

I'd rather give up the 12 and pay Brandon 7 mill a year...Boldin is getting a litttttttlllllee cocky in his demands...Brandon probably signs for cheaper money cuz he is younger, he has 2 really good contract left in him, as Boldin has only one..

26. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    Come on Mannnnnn, Brandon Marshall will want 10 million a year and a huge up front payday. Atleast boldin played through his contract even though he was seriously underpaid.

The argument that a guy will sign this contract for less cause he has two more contracts left in him? He could get injured in the offseason playing touch football on a beach and never start another game.

Athletes get what they are worth now there are no guarantees.

27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i tend to care more about youth being the future upside of an organization as opposed to what a player has done in the past which is obviously what this trade would be hanging on with Boldin. Everyone needs to ask themselves what kind of production you would get from Boldin after the trade and whether he could match his past performance. Another isuue to weigh out is with the state of the defense do you go out and give up a 3rd round pick for a 30 year wr who may not have but just a few years remaining and do you tie up salary in a player like that. Regardless of whether hartline gives you Boldins past production or not he is here and adds youth to the offense.
    I really think we have too many defensive needs to be investing in Anquain Boldin. we go out and land the guy and the next thing you know he is out of football or we go get him and he produces little, The percentages are high for a 30 year old to tank out in this game. I get how everyone wants a weapon for the offense but not at this expense. It would be a backward move IMO.

28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    as I recall Boldin made a stupid but honorable move when he told the Cards to sure up Fitz first.
    he should have taken the pay right?

29. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    Any other guy would have :pointlol:

Thats what makes him a good guy to see in aqua vs bringing in a younger TO with twice the baggage at a higer rate. Yes TO is a talented reciever but do we bring him in? NO same reason you will not see Marshall here.

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Agreed and I would have paid him that yesterday.....

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    TO is also old, slow and overrated.....new change of scenery, job/money security, tell him he is the man, pay him like it, put the responsibility on him like it, 26 and on is when people start to grow up....for every baggage argument I hear, I cant help to think of Randy Moss who came to NE and was quite like mouse....you hear from him now cuz he knows this is his last year in NE...

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    NFL Network's Michael Lombardi doubts the Dolphins will make a serious run at Anquan Boldin this offseason.

"Knowing Parcells' history, he likes his players to be durable," explained Lombardi. The Cardinals' asking price has dropped, in part, due to Boldin's injury history. Even with one year remaining on his contract, he should still draw plenty of interest at the third-round asking price.

33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    You can thank that butt-nugget Wanny for that.

I think people throw Parcells name around too much. I'm sure our GM knows what he wants. Ireland was molded by BP, but stilll has his own mind made up about what he wants. Parcells may have taught him well, but that doesn't mean he has to draft every player Parcells would draft. Like any other team, I'm sure Parcells has an opinion about his choice. How much weight that has could be off-set by the coaches and GM wanting someone else.

34. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm not sure this has been asked yet: how far can you move up in the first round by dealing that third round pick? Would it be enough to get Dez Bryant? For equal compensation, I'd take a rookie Bryant over an older Boldin.