1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Dolphins Mulling Asking Mike Wallace To Restructure Deal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Feb 13, 2015.

1. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    good luck with that...good talk buddy..good things..good things.

RGF, shamegame13 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  3. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    LOL I agree, Wallace isn't gonna budge.

djphinfan likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Why not? There are more ways to restructure than having a reduction in salary.

Ohio Fanatic and GARDENHEAD like this.
  5. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    My opinion.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Under the table?

shamegame13 likes this.
  7. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    lmao

8. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Please enlighten me. Serious question.

shamegame13 likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I have a hard time believing that Wallace would be open to taking less money, which is the only kind of restructure that could possibly be available, seeing as he's signed for as long as he is. He'll be here with his contract as is, or he'll be gone.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You can reduce his base salary in 2015 and make it up to him in bonus.

Which will reduce his salary cap number in 2015

unluckyluciano likes this.
  11. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Lmao. Asking Wallace to restructure while Hartline, Gibson, Finnegan, Ellerbe are still employed. I wish I was his agent so I could laugh in a real GMs face.

gunn34 likes this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's still a huge problem at a reduced cost. He's throwing tantrums now, what happens when you find your legitimate deep threat and/or #1 receiver?

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Mhm. You pay a guy like that, and he repays you by throwing tantrums, you're feeding a team cancer.

I say trade this guy for some picks. In Hickey we trust. Get a speed guy with half the heart and ball skills of Jarvis Landry and we're back in business... discounted.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

dolfan87 likes this.
  14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    You have to cut Wallace, he has been disruptive in every game he has played in Miami...not to mention he doesn't catch anything unless it's a perfect pass and the guy can't run a route. The 10tds were basically all luck, or brilliant throws by Ryan. Axe his ***, I'm ready to get the next Cole Beasley.

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Cutting Wallace is too simple IMO. I say we literally cut him. As in cut off his legs and torso, and implant them on Hartline. Hartline is already better than him, only slower and worse. So cut Wallace's legs and torso, implant them on Hartline, throw away the remaining useless flesh. You create Brian Hartlinefrankentein, a monster receiver for the ages. Immortal too.

Problem solved.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  16. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If he won't take a pay cut then we cut him. I'm sorry but he's not a top 5 WR he can't take up the cap space that he takes up.

17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The only way I'm on board with straight cutting him is if we draft a receiver in the first round, AND pick up a solid FA. Of course, if we also jettison Hartline and Gibson, then you probably need to pick up a third receiver. Realistically, I don't think we get rid of Wallace this season. Get rid of Hartline and Gibson, draft WR in first round, get a solid FA to replace Hartline, and keep Wallace. You'd run next season with rookie/Wallace/FA/Landry as your main receivers. See what Wallace does next season, and decide his fate then.

18. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    This has the makings of being a mess, since it looks like Wallace blames external factors (Tannehill, the offense, etc.) for his lack of production, and Tannehill looks as if he's going to get a raise. I suspect Wallace will refuse to restructure and be cut when it's most cost-effective for the team. They need to find out what he's going to do now, though, so they can plan accordingly in the draft and free agency.

19. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Just read an article saying the Saints, Colts, and Seahawks could be possible trade partners with Miami for Wallace. MW11 would kill it with Luck or Wilson throwing the ball considering how well they can throw downfield.

gunn34 likes this.
  20. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007

We have already paid the heavy price for Wallace, why not get at least another year out of him? And when we have a true #1 WR in place -then we cut/trade him.

Yeah, it will be interesting which direction Philbin pushes on Wallace. He NEEDS to win NOW, and it is doubtful we can replace the TD production and deep threat that Wallace brings if he is cut or traded. However, if he makes Joe queasy? Then Joe will want him gone (and getting even a third rounder would be better than nothing) and helps guarantee a losing season in 2015 leading to his (probable-but-not-certain-with-Ross-around) firing.

Wallace on the Seahawks would make that offense dangerous, the Colts already have a speed guy in Hilton. I thought the Saints were really tight on the cap, so I doubt they can trade without a new deal in place.

If it was up to me, I'd keep Wallace and grab one of the top WRs if they fall to us, or trade down a bit and grab the BPA, using the second rounder on a Guard.

21. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    NO doesn't need a speed guy, they drafted Cooks last year.

22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    No one is going to trade for Wallace because of his contract. It appears everyone on here seems to think he is overpaid, yet they also think some other NFL team would be willing to give up a draft pick for him, while also picking up his contract.

I don't see that happening. What is more likely is that he will either end up playing for the Dolphins next season under his present contract or the Dolphins will decide to cut him and just live with the fact he will still end up being a big hit on this years cap number.

If he is eventually cut, several teams will probably have an interest in him. They will just be able to get him at a lower salary and without having to give up a draft pick.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    If he is traded to a team he likes, he certainly can restructure with them. A team like Seattle is a good example, I'm sure if Mike had an oppurtunity to be a Seahawk and play with Russel Wilson Im pretty sure he would restructure for that situation. Who wouldn't.

24. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Of course he could also refuse to restructure his contract and force the Dolphins to either pay him all the money he is due next season or cut him.

This way he could become a free agent and decide which team he wants to play for. If the Seahawks are interested in him. They would probably be even more interested in him if they could get him without having to give up a draft pick to sign him.

As a Dolphin fan, I would love to see the Dolphins get a draft pick for him if they decide to part ways with him.
    If I was his agent though, I would advise him to refuse to restructure his contract and force the Dolphins to either pay him or release him.

The reality of this situation is that it is Wallace who is in a win-win position in regards to his present dealings with the Dolphins. He either makes a lot of money playing for the Dolphins this coming season or he gets the opportunity to become a free agent again and receive various offers from other NFL teams looking for a WR who can run past the opposing teams defensive backs.

gunn34 and shamegame13 like this.
  25. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Thank you jw! This is why I said he wouldn't budge in the negotiations and a poster on here attacked my post for it. Amen! This proves anyone who thinks he will take a pay cut wrong. It's clear he is getting fed up with Miami and players who LOVE to be where they are at are usually the ones that take pay cuts. Not disgruntled employees, they usually go the ''pay me or cut me" route, as you said jw.

26. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The cap savings from cutting him is not enough to sign another WR of nearly equal talent.

xphinfanx and Fin-Omenal like this.
  27. MrClean

Like someone else said, restructure does not need to mean a pay cut. Convert some base salary into a signing bonus, and you get to spread it out over a few years. He still pockets the same amount.

77FinFan and shula_guy like this.

28. Exactly you lower his base and increase his garunteed money to soften the cap hit. This is common practice in the nfl.

29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not one of those who has been calling for him to be traded or cut. Even with his faults, he is still the best WR on the roster at this time and I don't think he is going to be as easy to replace as many others on here seem to think he will be.

I would be happy to see him restructure his contract, but I just don't think he is happy playing with the Dolphin.
    I think if he was happy playing for Philbin and with Tannehill, he would probably be willing to restructure his contract. Especially in the way you suggest.

If word leaks out that he has no desire to restructure his contract. This would infer to me that he has no interest in remaining with the Dolphins and he wants to be cut if they don't want to pay him in accordance with his present contract.

It is going to be interesting to see how this saga turns out over the next few months.

Fin-Omenal and shamegame13 like this.
  30. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Omar has been saying for months there's no chance he restructures, and for whatever u say about Omar, he actually is tight with some players. But maybe if they do it in such a way that makes financial sense for him. I absolutely don't think he will be giving us a deal.

31. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Doesn't that depend on the amount another team signs him for? Meaning offset language.

32. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Anyone who complains about Wallace if he restructures is nuts.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  33. MrClean

This type of restructure would also benefit him, because it means more guaranteed money. Helps both sides.

shula_guy likes this.
  34. MrClean

I thought that mattered only if there is a trade. Far as I know, if he's cut, the dead money, about $9 mil in his case, counts against the cap. The savings, or as far as I know, the reduction against the cap, would be like $2.5 mil. So from the team's perspective, as far as I know, would be they'd have an extra $2.5 mil with which to replace him or whatever else they wanted to use it on CK is the real brain around here on salary cap, and if he sees this he may have another way to look at it.

35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    lol why in the hell would guaranteeing more money to Mike Wallace make the slightest bit of sense given the circumstances?

You do that for someone you expect to play out the length of their contract for short term relief. Not someone you are considering cutting.

Tannephins likes this.
  36. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    No kidding. It makes more sense to cut Wallace at the appropriate time, guarantee someone else's money, and take the savings from both moves combined and get a new wide receiver.

KB21 likes this.
  37. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I'd trust you on this more than me.

38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    The idea that you need to fit Mike Wallace's replacement within that first year cap savings isn't even a little bit difficult. His own contract cost $3 million against the cap the first year, back loading is hardly a rarity.

39. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I'd like to hear your master plan for this roster, after all...you do have 10k hours and are an expert

40. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    because not all of us have the extreme opinion you have. the main issue that most people have is that he is overpaid. He's a #1 WR, just not a top 10 #1 WR that justifies that salary.