1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Fins discussing 7 year $105 million deal for Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinNasty, Feb 9, 2015.

1. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    'And' more fans would choose RW3 over RT17. More fans would rather have the 2x NFC Championship, SB Champion, 2x Pro Bowler, Best rushing QB in NFL, guy with higher passer rating then RT17, guy with more total yards then RT17, guy with higher YPA then RT17, guy with better deep pass then RT17, guy with better pocket presence then RT17... Happy?

To make yourself feel better though, RT17 was a team MVP of an 8-8 ballclub.... for whatever thats worth but thats his one and only highlight/award of his career thus far lol

2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Thats all fair. But "most fans" are talking football for fun, if their livelihoods were on the line I think they'd sing a diff tune.

3. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Come on Piston.... Most NFL Owners, GM's, Coaching Staffs, Players, and Fans would take RW3 over RT17 at this point in time. It really doesnt take a genius to see that either. I like RT17 but to say he is better then a guy with a crazy amount of accolades and credentials like RW3 is just asinine.

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oh boy.. people really think Tannehill is on par with Wilson... they're probably the same ones that said Fiedler is better than Brady back in 2002...

shamegame13 likes this.
  5. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Its them aqua and orange blinders..... Next up, Lamar Miller is better then Le'Veon Bell.

6. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    One guy went 8th overall, the other went in the 3rd round. Is it really that hard to see how many scouts/execs may like Tannehill more?

resnor likes this.
  7. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Thats cool. It's always easier to ridicule opposing views than it is to understand them.

8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Total yards, i.e., passing yards + rushing yards?

Russell Wilson -2014 - 4,324 yards
    Ryan Tannehill - 2014 - 4,356 yards

I guess Wilson comes out on top when you take out sack yards?

9. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    That's hardly relevant anymore, although it's quite clear Wilson should of went in the top 10 and RT17 should of been the 2nd or 3rd round pick.

10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I honestly can't believe that some people think Ryan Tannehill is as good or better QB than Russell Wilson. I like a lot of RT17's game, but RW3 is far superior in pretty much every way. I mean what more does the man have to do?

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think, that looking at overall stats, it doesn't paint a picture of Wilson being far and away better. The difference is watching Wilson play, he plays in a much more dynamic way. Overall stats, sure, Wilson had a better YPA last season. Tannehill, did, however, play to a good YPA for about the last 2/3 of the season. Some people, myself included., think that he will continue that next season. If Tannehill plays to a 7+ YPA next season, what will people think of him then? I'm disregarding making the playoffs, as I don't think that's necessarily indicative of the QB. So, if Tannehill plays to a 7+ YPA, has a good td/int ratio (like this season), and throws for 4k+ again, will people be happy?

12. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I personally won't be satisfied until the Miami Dolphins are considered serious Super Bowl contenders every year. Is that too much to ask? Maybe I was spoiled with Dan Marino leading us every year for two decades. But, it sure was nice to KNOW that we had a legitimate shot every season.

13. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh Im not sure why? Honestly, I don't think we have seen Ryan Tannehill's ceiling yet? Personally, I like Ryan's physical makeup.

I have seen Ryan deal with a ton of adversity in his first three years. He's had to learn two offenses. He's been sacked an ungodly number of times. Literally, almost as much as David Carr was sacked. He dealt with a Locker Room scandle that was all that anyone talked about in the middle of a season. Hes had to deal with all of the crap regarding the deep ball. He's weathered every storm that has been thrown at him.

THAT is one thing you cannot say Russel Wilson has done. Now, Im sure Wilson will handle adversity well, but he really hasnt had to. He hasnt had to suffer bad seasons...thats the only question mark left.

I like how Ryan has handled himself, and I like having Ryan Tannehill as our QB.

14. vt_dolfan

But...why arent you just considering personal opinion?

Stat wise Russel Wilson has been better. Personally I dont believe this will be the case when you measure their careers. When all is said and done, they will both be really good QBs.

15. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I hope you're right.

16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If Wilson and Tannehill switched teams, the Seahawks dont win a Super Bowl and we would have made the playoffs twice by now. Maybe we dont win a playoff game but we certainly would have been there already.

17. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

resnor likes this.
  18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I wouldn't go that far but they certainly wouldn't have had as much success. Their oline is terrible, ranked worse than ours last year. Russell Wilson got the benefit of a stellar defense, Lynch numbers wise wasn't that far ahead of Miller's. But their Oline sucked and this year there were no receiving options.

19. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    the nfl championship where he threw 4 ints happened right? I feel like you guys didn't see this game? Or most of his pedestrian super bowl capped off by losing the game with an awful decision?

I think some of you don't realize how good their defense is, how much Marshawns legs make everything easier on wilson. his team is stacked. IMo that team is going to get gutted by free agency soon, I expect a major drop all around.

resnor likes this.
  20. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    No one's ever proclaimed fans to have an abundance of smarts. I'd sure take Lynch and that defense any day over Miami's. In fact in PFF ratings the only areas Miami excelled over Seattle was pass rush and penalties. Seattle scored big differences in rushing, pass blocking, run defense and pass coverage. The smallest gap between the 2........passing.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Wilsons game, skill, intelligence, leadership, all intangibles, has something to do with that franchise facing limited adversity.

GARDENHEAD and PhinishLine like this.
  22. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Sure, but that doesn't mean that those other parts of the two teams are responsible for those QBs' individual play.

There's a difference between basically adding up all the talent a team has across the board and determining how far it's likely to go, and saying that a player is who he is individually because of the rest of the talent (or the lack thereof) on the team.

23. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Actually there was a rather large gap between them in passing, in an area that's very strongly related to winning -- passing efficiency.

The gap between them in their running games, for example was much smaller. Hell, the Dolphins were the second-best team in the league in 2014 on a yards-per-carry basis, and would've been first in the league if it wasn't for Russell Wilson's contribution to Seattle's rushing offense.

24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I don't think that looking back, we were Super Bowl contenders every year. We may have been playoff contenders, but look at the results in the playoffs. Heck, we backed in as Wildcards two or three times.

But yes, we were all spoiled with Dan Marino.

25. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    RT17 is better then A LOT of QBs in the NFL, but RW3 is not one of those QBs that RT17 is better then, I know its hard for some of you accept but it is fact and truth.

26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    This is borderline blasphemy but outside of 3 spectacular seasons Dan was kind of just good the rest of the way. He was the best passer the game has ever seen, but be honest. He wasn't great and managing/controlling the game. He's no Tom Brady.

It was a glorious 5-6 years, and then still pretty good each year after but it was like holding onto something that was fading away...

27. Marino1385

Marino1385 Banned

Jan 6, 2015
    Wilson blows tannehill out of the water in every part of the position.

28. vt_dolfan

Yep.. Yer right if Russell Wilson were here, Joe Philbin would be muttered in the same breath as Don Shula..youd have the Stadium you always dreamed of and we'd have just finished up with our second straight ticker tape parade. I forgot.

29. vt_dolfan

You know what? Who cares if someone would rather have Ryan Tannehill.. Then Russell Wilson. Guess what... At the end of the day.. 17 is our QB. A bunch of yall seem to have a big issue with that.. What can I tell ya. Write a revisionist history book if it bothers u that much.

30. vt_dolfan

Can we just create a Russell Wilson sub section.. I've never seen one non Dolphin player get discussed so much..

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the team folded when they lost louis delmas...lol..and choked two years in a row.

shamegame13 likes this.
  32. vt_dolfan

Sure..great. But he's not our QB. Joe Montana is a better QB. Has as much relevancy

33. vt_dolfan

But if we had Russel Wilson our team would have been impervious to injury...And Chuck Norris would replace the Dolphin as our teams mascot

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    im not talking about russell wilson..someone made a point as to why seattle hasn't faced any adversity.

moving along..

leadership is very important from your qb..It is something that I believe Ryan is trying to make himself into..Its completely his team now, no more seniority clauses..he's it..

35. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    RT17 is our QB, I am HAPPY/CONTENT with that. However, I would be JUBILENT if RW3 was our QB right now.

We picked the wrong QB at #8 in 2012, so did Washington Redskins. Both teams should of took RW3 who is the 2nd best QB out of that draft at this point in time.

36. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You just can't say that, Shame. That completely ignores the difference in coaching styles, and how each QB was developed. If Wilson was forced to stand in the pocket and go through progressions, would he be as effective? We don't know. There is no way you can say that the Dolphins should have picked Wilson. It's different situations.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no'one but a moron would make wilson stand in the pocket and go thru progressions, not even himself..

can't we just move on..lets go back to that other thread if were gonna keep talking wilson.

what I think is interesting is if ryan will go outside the box for our team in his contract, tannenbaum has tremendous respect for Schneider, so it will be interesting to see if the contracts have some similar characteristics and stipulations.

38. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Well, the good thing for us is that there was 4 prominent QBs out of that draft and we got #3(1. Luck, 2. Wilson, 3. Tannehill, 4. Foles.. IMO), thats a good thing. We could of been saddled with RG3, Weeden, Osweiler, or Cousins.

Dolphin fans shouldnt take it to heart when I point out truths like RW3 is bettter (at this current moment) then RT17. I honestly dont even know how that is disputable considering the all the accolades that RW3 carries. There is no alternate universes in this world, all we can go by is facts.