1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Lions tried to trade for Denver's Jay Cutler

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by brandon27, Feb 28, 2009.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I mentioned in another thread I heard the detroit tv stations talking about this on their 6pm sportscasts, now I have the link to prove it. Its interesting enough that I feel it deserves a thread of its own... so here we go...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/report_lions_tried_to_trade_fo.html

Wow, what a move that could have been if the Lion's had pulled it off!

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

So the chances of Cutler landing in Detroit are?

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    well they sounds like they are done and over with now. In the article it states that the lions were trying to trade for cassel, then trade cassel to denver for cutler, which would reunite mcdaniels with cassel in denver. Since Cassel ended up in KC, I doubt Detroit has anything that Denver wants in return for Cutler.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If they trade Cutler to anyone, I'm going to break my monitor lol. I'm a fan of Denver and Cutler is my favorite Quarterback. To deal him just because he doesn't fit in your offense is stupid. Build your offense around his strengths ala Shanahan and go from there. You have a franchise Quarterback and you want to move him so you can get a guy from New England who had a very good slot option underneath and a Hall of Fame wide receiver. Keep Cutler and you'll be happy. You move him, you'll regret it.

Skywalker likes this.
  5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I wonder if the Broncos would have taken that deal. I think Cutler is a bit overrated, but I also feel he is much better than Cassell. I cant believe McDaniels would give up on a chance to coach this kid up.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Pretty much my reaction... Seriously, getting rid of Cutler is about the dumbest thing I could think of... ****, I would of wanted Miami to trade for Cassel if we could just swap for Cutler.... He's not perfect by any means, but the kid is young and is going places in the future, IMO.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Mile High Salute

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    McDaniels is starting to piss me off.

Now there are reports of not only the Lions, but the Bucs also using Cassel as trade bait for Cutler. AND the PATRIOTS were the ones who said no to the trade, most likely because Cassel-to-KC was already happening.

MATT CASSEL for JAY CUTLER. ARE YOU ****IN' KIDDING ME MCDANIELS.

Now what McDaniels has done is ruined any good relationship he could have had with Cutler. And Bowlen, what the hell man? Doesn't the owner get a say in this? Why the HELL would you be good with trading JAY CUTLER for MATT FREAKIN' CASSEL.

I'm a Bronco fan first. But this is ridiculous. I've gone from being really excited for the McDaniels era to start, to hoping Bowlen fires him tommorow.

Unbelieveable.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    John Clayton reporting that Cutler is pissed off - as we all knew - and he has asked to be traded.

9. Skywalker

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    You know, I came to terms with the Shanahan firing. I was starting to feel like maybe it was the right move. And I was kind of excited about the hiring of McDaniels.

But now......now this is all a disaster.

Not only is Jay pissed off - for a good reason - but we won't even get Cassel now either. We have no QB now.

****. You. McDaniels.

FinSane likes this.
  10. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    If Josh doesn't believe in Cutler, then you have to move him. I'm not saying that MC is the answer, but Josh does know him and knows him a lot better than he knows Cutler.

As a fan, we watch MC once a week so we really don't know anything about the guy, maybe is is a star in the making, none of us really know.:wink2:

11. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    They shouldve never got rid of Shanahan IMO. Maybe lowered his influence in the front office and just have him focus more on coaching or something, but outright fire the guy when he has kept the team competitive nearly every season he has been the coach? And to hire a coach with limited experience beyond the offense and coming from a completely different system/philosophy? This sounds like a disaster in the making.

Skywalker and azfinfanmang like this.
  12. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Coach Shanny wasn't the issue, GM Shanny was the problem.

13. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I agree, but i dont think just firing the guy was the right solution. maybe he didnt want to give up any role he had, but u still try and work something out, somehow i get the feeling they didnt bother..

14. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    No doubt this could really hurt things in Denver for the upcoming Training Camps...

Imagine that. Billicheat is right in the middle of it all again. :pity:

Very sorry to Denver, Detroit AND Tampa Bay, cause big Billicheat (He of ENORMOUS man-boobs) just pwned all three of you. He and Pioli are laughing all the way to the bank on this one folks...

steveincolorado likes this.
  15. Skywalker

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    The problem with Shanahan was, he refused to give up his power in the front office.

I'm pretty sure Bowlen would have loved to keep Shanny the coach. But what was he going to do if Shanny refused to let them take away his front office powers?

Right now though, I'd rather have GM Shanny than McDaniels to be honest.

16. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    dont forget NY and cleveland for dumping Crennel and Mangini on them. :lol:

and an dishonorable mention to Notre Dame.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  17. Skywalker

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    It all makes sense. Bellicheat and McDaniels are teaming together to take down the Broncos, one of the few teams in the NFL the past decade to beat them. :lol:

azfinfanmang and FinSane like this.
  18. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    sometimes u got to go over the coaches head no matter the ego. if he walks away then he looks like the badguy. win-win for the front office in that case. but i dunno it just seemed fishy to me.

19. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Dont forget about good ole Pioli who is just East of you now :up:

FinSane likes this.
  20. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    and in the same division

21. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I really doubt that they didn't try, if Shanny didn't want to make changes, then I have no problem with PB, saying goodbye my friend. The Broncos are far more important to the city of Denver then Shanny.

22. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I really hope you don't believe what you just wrote? That's a Al Davis comment.:wink2:

23. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Seriously!!

I mean this almost has Sabotage written all over it..

Of course, Billicheat wouldnt do anything to cross the lines that the league has drawn out......would he...:pity:

FinSane likes this.
  24. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    as long as he isnt focused on just the dolphins like before...

25. Skywalker

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    Did you just compare me to Al Davis? :lol:

I do think Shanahan had a winning record against Bellicheat and the Patriots, don't quote me on that though. :up:

26. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    No worries:up:

Skywalker likes this.
  27. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I just hope that the Broncos give Josh some time to work with, GM Shanny didn't do that with his D guys.

28. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I saw an interesting comment on ESPN about this. If your the Vikings, do you now just offer your entire draft for Cutler? Maybe some from next year as well? Granted, it wouldnt get the Broncos a QB unless they then target Freeman, or hope Stafford/Sanchez drop (quite possible imo).
    Of for that matter, what about trading for a guy Carson Palmer. Again, just firesale your draft and hope someone bites. Really, is there a good reason not to try it? What about the Panthers, should they try this? At least they could offer Delhomme in return as a stopgap for whatever team gives them a star.