1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Manning may need a 2nd surgery. Would be out indefinitely.

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by TiP54, Sep 4, 2011.

1. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Oh-oh.

If Manning is out for a while, Indy could fall off the AFC playoff map, opening a window for opportunity for us.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Indy falling out of the playoff picture opens a spot for more than just us. Jacksonville is geared up for a playoff run; the AFC West could send a second team to the playoffs this year; and the AFC East could send 2 teams not named the Dolphins as well.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Believe it or not, this is one of my "suck for luck" teams, without Manning they do not have much to work with so to speak.

Poor OL/poor Rb's/crappy Defense

The entire team is set up around the premise that Manning will put up a ton of points on the board, if he is not there they are deep kimchi.

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They invested resources in improving the OL this offseason; poor RBs are irrelevant to a team's winning, though Addai does well enough in their system; and the defense is actually pretty decent, it just doesn't look pretty.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Uhm, yeah, so Kerry Collins is going to sling the ball around the field and lead the offense?

With no 280 carry or more type or Rb, that is the premise to their season if Manning is out for most of the year.

The Defense is poor, who is their dominant performer that can possibly make up for the loss of Manning?

Pierre Garcon? Blair White? 33 yr old Reggie Wayne?

steveincolorado likes this.
  6. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I hope everything is okay for peyton. Health first, then football. Hopefully he will come out stronger next year if he has to miss.

Reminds me of the pinched nerve Marino had towards the end. :(

padre31 likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Fwiw, I like Peyton Manning's game a lot, if the report is true and he needed a 2nd surgery, who knows if he will play again, iirc that is what ended Bert Jones' career.

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Collins at this point is a better QB than Brett Favre, at least. All he has to do is not suck. That's within his power, especially since the full supporting cast is ready to go: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Clark, Addai, and even Tamme. Collins will also benefit from OL improvements intended for Manning.

Indy uses an RBBC. They'll be fine. Rare is the 300+ carry RB in the modern NFL.

No, their defense isn't poor. They still have Freeney and Mathis, they still have Bethea, and they still have solid (though aging) linebackers.

I'm not saying they're going to be a 14 win juggernaut without Manning, I'm just saying that they'll still be a competent football team. They won't suddenly turn into NFC West type pushovers.

9. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    No disrespect Des...

But Indi's D gave up an average of 24 ppg last year...

Collins will need to put up Manning type numbers to have a winning season, that being 26-27 ppg...

Can't see it happening...

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Collins was dreadful for the Titans in 2010, And suffice it to say, not going to argue the point about their running backs, let it be said there is no Adrian Peterson, or even Ced Benson to rely on, if one believes Mathis and Freeney are sufficient then more power to you.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If Manning misses the season, Indy will be hard pressed to win 3 games. It would suck if after years of Manning, they are in a position to draft Andrew Luck.

12. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    As much as I respect Manning I feel the Colts are in for a long year.

13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Well, the AFCS just got interesting.

14. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Mine too....I just cant find the thread I posted this in...hahahaha. But it sets up perfectly for them to have the "Aaron Rodgers" to their "Brett Favre" just like Green Bay did, etc.

I know it would be hard for Polian as GM, but wouldnt put it past Irsay as Owner for one minute.

Can easily see them tank on purpose in essence to secure Luck and have him sit behind Manning for 2/3yrs and learn.

EDIT: Found it.... http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...or-for-Miami&p=1557013&viewfull=1#post1557013