1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Tuberville out at Auburn

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by jdang307, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
  2. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Saban's not what got Tommy fired, although the fact that he's at Alabama and has outrecruited Tuberville plays a minor factor. A lot goes into this one, and it's really been a long time coming. There've been a lot of admins and boosters unhappy with Tuberville even after the Jetgate incident, but 2004 bought him some grace.

Why now? The short-sighted, incorrect decision to go to the spread at Auburn, which sent some blue chip recruits, one being RB Enrique Davis, running, after years of not recruiting for the change coming, then hiring Tony Franklin and the disaster that was with other coaches and players causing the firing of the guy midseason, that left Auburn rudderless and in the hands of Steve Ensminger, which we'd tried and failed before, and his blind faith and loyalty to his assistant coaches, and yeah, the lack of good recruiting classes in the past few years (and you can frame that against Saban's if you so desire), those things are reasons for why now.

Think about it. Auburn went 13-0 in 2004 on the brink of a National Championship, and this year was the senior recruits from the class after that. 5-7 with wins only against directional schools and Tennessee and Mississippi State in the 3-2 slugfest is not how one would envision a senior recruiting class after that year.

Auburn has no quarterback that it can bank on, which is the biggest problem teamwise. It's stable of runners are not great. The WR corps is no better than so-so in the SEC. AU has always been a school that brought in top quality TEs, but they were moved to slots this year, and as TEs and players (guys like Trott and MacKenzie that were 5-star recruits), they've regressed. The defense is smallish upfront and at LB and will lose it's best player in Sen'Derrick Marks. The defense is adequate for the SEC, but not with an offense that can't produce points or even first downs most of the season.

The program was in trouble and is in trouble. It'll be interesting to see who they find for the cure. Earlier in the season, people were talking about Will Muschamp, but Texas sort of locked him up. I'd still like to see them make a run. The rivalry between Muschamp, also a players' coach, and Saban would be cool. Of course, a lot of people might say AU isn't a place for a first-time head coach. I don't know. I just want someone to bank on.

Alabama got it with Saban. No matter how much I dislike the guy, he's the best recruiter in college football, arguably, and he knows how to coach. He's in his element in college. He's even opening up to the press a little more as they're now starting to think he's deified. Auburn needs someone who can compete with him in the state and get us back to a national power. And recruit some running backs.

For mercy's sake, Joe Cribbs, William Andrews, Lionel James, James Brooks, Bo Jackson, Brent Fullwood, James Bostic, Rudy Johnson, Carnell Williams, Brandon Jacobs (for a year), and Ronnie Brown. Please, how hard should it be to convince a premiere runner that they can be a great back at Auburn? Spread, schmread. Line up in pro-set I -formations and go.

3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I wouldn't mind having Tuberville at UT over Kiffin especially if UT could have gotten a good OC to run the offense.

4. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Tuberville did not deserve this. I actually think its funny because Auburn thinks that they are going to get someone better to replace him.

5. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    AU will regret this. What coach is available that can come in and challenge Saban either on the field or for recruits? At least Tuberville has his record of success to sell to recruits. He made a mistake with how he transitioned to the spread, but I'm not sure that misstep should have led to this. Will be interesting to see who they get, but it isnt a job I'd want.

6. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    The more I hear from insiders, the story is going around that Tuberville asked out because of family concerns. It doesn't make much sense to me. Auburn is still agreeing to pay him the $6M.

I think more will come out about this, and the whole truth isn't known yet.