1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reshad Jones no-show

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, May 20, 2013.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    How so?

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Because Rashad Jones thinks he deserves the money that was given to guys like Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler, etc. I'm sure most people would be upset if their professional peers were given pay-raises and they weren't. It is one of the issues with signing FAs to substantial contracts.

CashInFist and smahtaz like this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Uhoh. Jeffe better get him signed asap.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm more interested in seeing who gets the reps in his place.

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Or maybe he doesn't want to risk a freak injury during some relatively meaningless drills when he's razor close to signing a life changing contract.

6. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right, I was just answering the OP's question re: locker room issues following an offseason like Miami had.

7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    It is only an issue if Jones continues to outperform his current deal. It will also be a big deal if this gets into the season without any serious talks/time being spent on a new contract. If there are overtures made on behalf of the team to resolve this (new contract talks) then all the rest is just posturing. At this stage though it is just a little shot across Ireland's bow not to forget the other business that needs tending to.

The locker room will need a lot more to go on before there is any serious discord, and that has a lot to do with how Jones himself handles it. Not having a new contract is not by itself a case for discord, the way in which it is handled is however.

MrClean, dolfndav34 and SICK like this.
  8. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I guess we needed Jenkins and Sims more than we needed Shamarko Thomas, even with Clemons and Jones having expiring contracts.

Ok, I didn't see a holdout coming, but I did want Thomas to take over.

SICK and ckparrothead like this.
  9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    It'll get done. He needs to show up for camp. Don't be a prima donna.

siciliansith and DHPVW like this.
  10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    why are you more interested in seeing who gets Reshad's reps than actually extending him?

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The curse of picking good players. Ireland picked a good on in the 5th round and now he wants to be paid. It happens.

12. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    not something we are used to yet. :wink2:

GreenMonster likes this.
  13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That's hilarious.

So a team can cut a guy for under performing a contract and it's "just business"

But if a guy is over performing what he is paid, and he holds out from fricken OTA's for a better contract, he's a prima dona?

unluckyluciano and finyank13 like this.
  14. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    What other view should a Miami Dolphins fan take?

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    .............he wants to get paid? Hes human? We are not playing games right now, it's not even training camp, I don't mind a hold out during OTAs

Source: I am a Miami Dolphin fan

Fin-Omenal and smahtaz like this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    We haven't heard from his agent yet. It could be something personal.

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That'd be a riot if the dude was at a sisters graduation or something, and Armando blew up this huge story about a hold out.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  18. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Normally I'd say Jones needs to have more than one really good season to justify a new contract right now, but given the precedent we have with paying the big contract to Ellerbe on potential rather than actual extended playing time, it kind of nullifes that sentiment.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm sure he's read some clippings, looked at his fifth round paycheck and got pissed off, he's a true blood so I don't forsee a problem with a new contract being offered..

Have we had a player that we drafted ascend like this going into his last last year, I mean we waited for longs last year to negotiate, Smith as well..

I wonder how rigid we are and if Aponte has strict rules on negotiating ?

20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    is it really confirmed yet that he his not here because of the money ? just sayin he could be lying dead in his appartment...*knock on wood*

21. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    If it was a contract dispute you would think that his agent would have notified the FO that they were holding out or at the very least told them when the FO called asking where he was.

22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I want him to play for the minimum.

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's also a good illustration of why managing a football team is more than just picking undervalued players or uncovering diamonds in the rough.

It's normally regarded as an unqualified good when you find a guy late that outperforms his draft standing by a wide margin. Unfortunately any situation where player compensation does not match player performance (one way or another) is going to result in negative consequences. If a player severely underperforms his contract that is bad for the team as it decreases cap allotment. If a player severely outperforms his contract, inevitably you have things like this happen which detract from that player's value to the team, at least temporarily. Things like this also provide distractions for other teammates. In cases of severe overperformance there's more likely to be a disconnect between what the front office thinks of the player and what the player thinks of himself. The front office remains tethered to some degree to the vision they had for him when they took him as a low value asset, whereas the player has a sense that he is owed "back pay" to some extent for having outperformed his contract so severely.

Mo money, mo problems. Mo talent, mo problems, too...sometimes.

Ohio Fanatic and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    doesnt sound like a graduation or something personal.

SICK likes this.
  25. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    ATM, sure, it sort of tells you what the Staff thinks of the guys behind him, and injuries happen so it a sort of peek at what may happen during the season.

RJ is making a mistake tho, Cam Wake got a deal and it was undermarket, he'll lowball Reshad as well imo.

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    And String I get he is unhappy, but that first snippet seems to say that their will be locker room tension over it. Like he is direction mad at Wallace, Ellerbe etc personally for getting paid during free agency. That I think is a little heavy handed to think that way. Be mad at Iriah all you want, but the only way he catches the players ire is if he isn't going all out which is understandable.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Its really no different than any other workplace. Just think about how you would feel if you were outperforming your salary, then the company just threw out a lot of money to hire other people, and you felt you were just as deserving as them. Ideally one would like to think that there wouldn't be any resentment, but thats not how things usually play out. Its human nature.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    :waits for this holdout thread to go 50 pages and the re-sign thread to go 2:

29. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    While i understand he needs to have a updated contract. The man needs to put back to back seasons together. He is under contract ****ing report sir!

30. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Agree. He signed the contract now play it out. After one good season HE decides he needs more money. What a joke.
    Get on the field and play for the money you agreed to.

31. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Happens all the time. I don't feel bad. I know its only business. I just go and look for another offer come back to my boss and say, "What ya gonna do?" They'll pay to play or you'll go elsewhere. If you aren't able to perform that maneuver you might not be as valuable as you think you are. I never resent the company because they are NEVER going to give you money. You'll get your yearly 2-3 percent and a pat on the back. Then again I'm an IT professional which pretty much makes me a mercenary.

32. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Sorry man, my comment was meant to be an add on to yours, and more in response to the "locker room turmoil is near inevitable" from the OP.

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not in direct competition with Jones position however. Jones while I think sky is higher than ever before and will get even better going forward, really has only had one good year. I think he is jumping the gun here with his demands for one year of performance. Wallace for instance whether you like his skill set or not has earned his keep. Even look at Victor Cruz puts in 2 very solid campaigns and they are just getting around to it now.

He is in a losing battle because if he blows up again this year. They will just more than likely tag him if they can't come to an agreement.

34. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I love this curse! :D

35. Dan Griese

Dan Griese New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Starting to not like this kid so much. Isnt he going to make more anyway this year due to a pay bump he got because of last years play, AND he wants more? These athletes are pretty close to driving me away from most sports in general. Is it just me, or does it seem like the NHL really doesnt have very many holdouts, trade demands, prima donna/diva behavior?

36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I hope you start a thread the first time someone is cut mid contract because he is not performing up to the Dolphins standards, I hope you're yelling "you signed him to a contract, pay him for the length of the contract you agreed too!!". It's the same damn thing.

37. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    He'd be the 3rd or 4th of our former late round picks resigned just this year though!

As a dolphin fan, I encourage Reshad in his efforts to reach a long term deal.

38. DHPVW

DHPVW DuB addict

Apr 1, 2010
    AZ-520
    To me it's funny how in the past 5 years or so players feel like they play good they can hold out before their contract is up and pressure teams into giving them a contract. It's horse **** to me. It's like asking to be paid for a COD before delivering it. Don't be an ***, do your job under your current contract and get rewarded when your contract is up. It never used to be like this but it seems to be the norm nowadays. I don't like it and think it's chicken ****. What if Jones blows this year? Still want to give him a huge contract?? He has one more year left under the contract he signed. Do the job you signed up for and show you deserve the contract. I don't get a raise at work until it's annual raise time. I don't go to my boss and say I have been busting *** this year and deserve a raise now or I'm not coming to work. LOL! I know it's a bit different but still the same based on principal. I just don't like these players trying to dictate their contracts to the teams.

39. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    What do you do for a living?

40. Justright

Justright Banned

Feb 23, 2013
    I think Armando is being ******ed again. OTA's don't start until tomorrow (Tues. 21st.)