1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of our '08 Rookie Class (Through 10 games)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Nov 21, 2008.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I am going to start off with Reviewing Picks from rounds 1 to 3 (just to see how it goes). If this thread really catches on, or if people want me to review the remaining picks I will. Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask me questions, explainations, or just leave your own comments, Thank you:

1.) Jake Long-10 games Started at LT
    Thus far, Jake has been a beast at LT for this team. He has held down the LT position amazingly well for a Rookie. I still believe he is better suited for the RT position; not because he is inadequate in Pass Pro, but because he is so dominate at Run blocking. There have been a few times this season that Jake has missed an assignment or misread the defense, however those small mistakes are becoming few and far between. He is a relatively clean player and has committed few Holding or False Start penalties.
    Grade: 9.5/10

2a.) Phillip Merling- 10 GP, 2 Games Started: 15 Tackles, 1 Sack
    When we made this pick I was really happy, most rankings and projections had him going anywhere from pick 18-28. Getting him at 32 was a steal IMO. All that being said, I have thought of this pick as so-so since watching Merling play. It is really difficult to determine 3-4 defensive linemans value. Purely looking at his stats you would think he isn't that good of a player for us; however he has been a vital part in our rotation and Holds his point of attack for the most part (which is HUGE in the 3-4). Personally, I would like to see him used more as a DE in the 3-4, but a lack of talent and depth at the DT position has forced him to play there at times. He has a excellent motor and doesn't give up on plays. Some people still say he wil eventually play LB for us, but at 6-4, 290 I just dont see it in the near future. Average pick.
    Grade: 7/10

2b.) Chad Henne- 2 GP; 7-12 for 67 yards. 74.0 QB Rating
    Im not going to lie guys. I was really upset when we made this selection. I really wanted Brohm and almost cried when the Packers picked him right in front of us. Looking back, I think this was a HUGE pick for the future of this team (AND I COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG). Chad Henne looked really sharp in Pre-season action and can make all NFL throws. Our Front Office and/or our Offensive Coordinator said that Henne is as good as Matt Ryan is right now. While I am not sure if that is 100% true, even if they are close with that assessment I would be pleased. I think Henne will learn a great deal from Pennington and will be a great starter in 2 to 3 years barring a Pennington injury. There where many rumors before the draft that Henne was our guy and that we where thinking about trading up to the late 1st round to get him. I think it was great that we were able to stick with our plan and draft him with our second 2nd round pick.
    Grade: 8.5/10

3.) Kendall Langford- 10 GP, 8 GS: 19 Tackles 2 Sacks
    Once again I am not going to lie about my original reaction after we selected Langford; I was confused. I saw a lot of talent still on the board at the time and didn't know much about Langford so I considered this a really big reach. And I felt that reaching was something a 1-15 team didn't have the luxuary of doing. Luckily, Langford was quick to prove me wrong and has emerged as one of my favorite new Dolphins. He got sacks in each of his first two games and has been a solid 3-4 end ever since. At 6-6, 290 Langford has played a huge part in our newly transformed DL and has done a great job "holding his blockers up" and allowing our LB core to make plays. He plays like a man on fire and is ALWAYS around the ball especially on runs. While his stats seem average Langford will develope into a beast on our DL for years to come.
    Grade: 9/10

Like I said before, Hope you enjoyed my assessment of our Rookies so far, feel free to ask me questions, explainations, or just leave your own comments and or opinions. If some of you want me to write my evaluations of our later round picks just ask and I will do it as soon as I have some free time.

Thank you.

Cosmic, USArmyFinFan, Bumrush and 6 others like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he's playing well this year. He's made some plays in run defense, he's got a couple sacks as well. I don't think looking at his statistics is a fair evaluation of him because he's there to hold up blocks for 'backers to shoot through and make plays. I think that he could very well end up playing Linebacker for us. I don't think he'll do it at the current weight obviously but I could see him shedding lbs to make the conversion. However, the draft(s) in the near future will answer the question if he makes the conversion in my opinion. Parcells teams like a surplus of Linebackers and it wouldn't surprise me to see him make the conversion but it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay at Defensive End either. When you say "Average pick," do you mean so far he's average? Because so far, I think he's been a good pick and will be a very good one in the future.

These grades are based off of what? Overall play in pre-season and regular season? I think that's a fair assessment of Chad Henne but I don't understand how he gets a higher grade than Phil Merling when he's played in one series against Arizona and Merling has played more than him.

I really liked the Langford pick. He had spent time at DT and DE at Hampton and did a good job of reading and reacting. I think he's done a good job and has been a integral part in our rush defense. He's made a few plays this year and has hit the rookie wall lately but he'll be a good one in my opinion.

Nice work dude. I'd be interested in an evaluation of later round picks as well. How do you grade these draft picks? Do you have a certain chart that your basing it off of ?

UCF FINatic likes this.
  3. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008

Merling has been playing well this year. Like I hinted at with Merling and stated about Langford, you can't judge 3-4 DL by their stats, you have to evaluate their play on film. He has been holding his blocks and allowing our LB's to make plays for use, I just don't see that great of a push from him. Don't get me wrong he holds his ground which is vital, but he doesn't move the pile so to speak. Granted Parcells loves LB's, and I know he would have to shed weight to play LB, BUT I just don't see it in his future (and I've said that from day 1; also he did run a 4.80 at the combine). How many players have gone from Defensive Tackle to Linebacker??? When I say Average pick i mean for several things: what he has done so far, what it appears he will do for us in the future, other talent that was on the board at the time, when he was selected, etc. etc. He was the 32 Overall pick in the NFL Draft, I feel he was very average for the stop. He hasn't been a disappointment, but he hasn't made me say "WOW" either...

[/quote]These grades are based off of what? Overall play in pre-season and regular season? I think that's a fair assessment of Chad Henne but I don't understand how he gets a higher grade than Phil Merling when he's played in one series against Arizona and Merling has played more than him.[/quote][/B][/B]

I based these grades off of several factors and just a general feel of the player and pick. Some of the things I considered where what he has done so far, what it appears he will do for the Dolphins in the future, other talent on the board at the time, when he was selected, and the big one is what he has done so far versus what has been expected of him so far. That last factor is a big reason I rated Henne a better pick than Merling. Remember I am rating the pick, NOT the players necessarilly. I hope that makes sence... Basically, Merling was the 32 Overall pick, he should be a BIG contributor, he has been so-so through 10 games. Henne was picked 63 (I believe) and has played really well for a rookie when given the chance. At pick 63 he should contribute, but not nearly as much as the number 32 overall pick. PLUS, Henne is a QB which takes time to develope. Look at Brohm picked 1 pick in front of Henne... he hasn't played that much yet either.

[/quote]I really liked the Langford pick. He had spent time at DT and DE at Hampton and did a good job of reading and reacting. I think he's done a good job and has been a integral part in our rush defense. He's made a few plays this year and has hit the rookie wall lately but he'll be a good one in my opinion.[/quote][/B][/B]

When I was researching him after we picked him a neat I discovered was that opposing teams averaged like 0.26 yards a carry when they ran it at him. It was Hampton, but that is an amazing stat. As a DE he gets great push like I said before, he has a decent bull-rush but i would like to see him develope a little more wiggle when it comes to pass rushing (which isn't a huge aspect of a 3-4 DE). Like you said he will be a great player for us for many years.

[/quote]Nice work dude. I'd be interested in an evaluation of later round picks as well. How do you grade these draft picks? Do you have a certain chart that your basing it off of ?[/quote][/B][/B]

Thank you. I tried to explain my grading process in the Henne vs. Merling grade debate question, but if that is still unclear I can try to explain it to you again.

dolphinsgirl and alen1 like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well. to me this will be a three year draft, that is overused I think, but with Donald Thomas, our Rook Starter from pretty much Day 1 suffering a Lis Franc injury, and Chad Henne grabbing pine after we signed Chad Pennington, we are bereft of two potential starters out of this draft add in Shawn Murphy's disappearance as well..

That leaves Big Jake, Merling, Langford, Bess, Dotson as our new acquisitions to evaluate, three starters and our #3 Wr and a on the cusp DT..

Not terrible, Merling has underperformed a bit, Langford has been steady, Bess just makes plays, and Jake Long is up and down, typical rookie.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Merling ran a 4.71 forty according to some sites I've looked at. You have to remember that he was also coming off a sports hernia. I haven't seen Merling at DT but maybe you have so I can't say. I think he can make the conversion to OLB because one thing that he has is that he has a basketball background. That's one thing that you like to see. I think he can make the transition but I guess we'll agree to disagree here. I understand what your saying about the "average pick" comment now, thanks for the clarification. I think he's hit the rookie wall pretty hard but he's not playing bad, I'm not saying you are implying that. I think he has a bright future, whether its at End or LB.

Gotcha. Brohm didn't win the backup job in Green Bay. He's the third stringer there. At the 63rd pick, he should make minimal contributions but that doesn't necessarily apply to all positions in my opinion. When you have a veteran Quarterback and you select one at that slot in the draft, you expect him to sit and learn for a while. Carson Palmer was a first overall pick and he didn't make an immediate contribution.

That statistic of Langford is correct. Can't disagree with anything there.

No problem man. I understand your grading process. Nice work again. :up:

UCF FINatic likes this.
  6. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    While I appreciate your effort (and I do) I've got some questions concerning your assessment of Long.
    You stated you believe him to be better suited to play RT? You mention as a reason his run blocking. A complete LT has to be a good run blocker, in addition to protecting the QB's blindside.
    He's done quite well protecting Pennington, giving up 2.5 sacks. But since he can also run block we aren't limited to where we run the ball. I do not see how being an outstanding run blocker in itself qualifies him to be more suited as a RT. It would make sense if he had been sub par at pass protection thus far. However that hasn't been the case. So why...?
    Also you stated he.."committed few Holding or False Start penalties". Actually Long is credited with 2 holds and 0 false starts.
    STATS Hosted Solution - Football - NFL - Player Stats - Jake Long
    If you have different stats from a different source I apologize.

UCF FINatic, GARDENHEAD and keypusher like this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks for that link late again. I'd also like to point out there's one of those sacks that stands out as a rookie mistake IMO. It came off a stunt play and I think Long knew immediately afterwards that he was beat.

late again likes this.
  8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah I really like that site a lot. You can dig up just about any kind of statistical info you may need. Not just NFL.
    Home page for Stats Hosted Solution
    http://hosted.stats.com/index.asp

keypusher likes this.
  9. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    I graded them all incomplete

10. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Thanks for the evaluations and also the link on this thread. One question--when Pennington got sacked for a safety against Oakland, I think it was Carey's man who got him, but didn't Long get thrown to the ground as well? I thought if the RE hadn't been free on that play Pennington could have stayed upright long enough to throw the ball away.

11. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Alright well, In the NFL the best Road Graders are normally put on the right side and most runs are directed to the right side. Look how many times we have run to the right compared to the left; and we have a dominate run blocker in Long on the left side. In Fact, the Wild-cat formation was developed to help us get more of a push and allow our team to consistantly get yards; In the Wild-cat they move Long over to the right side. I think that my statement sounded stupid about him "still being more suited to play RT" because I didnt completely explain myself and my brain wasn't working too well at the time (I was exhausted from hunting from 4 am to 7 pm). Anyways back to my point, I meant that statement as a compliment to Long's Run Blocking skills and not a diss to his Pass Blocking skills. Long is going to stay on the Left side and has done an amazing job holding that position down. I just would love to see the holes he would open play after play as a RT.

At LG Smiley is more of an agile, quick pull Guard that uses his body and angles more too (rather than a Guard who owns his man by pure strength), which means he normally pulls around to the Right side to help run block. So running to the Right side is harder because Jake Long moves his man out and Smiley just uses positoning to keep his man out of the play; leaving a pretty big gap between Long and Smiley for a LB to shoot the gap and make the play.

All that being said, I never really thought about it like you did when you stated "But since he can also run block we aren't limited to where we run the ball." That is a really good point... I can't argue against that at all :up:. I just think we need to get better interior Offensive Lineman before we can start running the ball wherever and whenever we want. So I'll wait and see, but again Great point.

Also you stated he.."committed few Holding or False Start penalties". Actually Long is credited with 2 holds and 0 false starts.
    STATS Hosted Solution - Football - NFL - Player Stats - Jake Long
    If you have different stats from a different source I apologize.

Thanks a lot for that website!!! I found it a long time ago and forgot about it. Last night when I was typing this up I kept trying to find it again so I could write his actual facts down rather than what I remembered. I was trying to google search "Offensive Line Stats", and everything similar to that, but I couldn't find that site or anything else providing OL stats.

I am going to sound like a politician here :lol:, but 2 holds and 0 false starts still validates my point that he's "committed few Holding or False Start penalties." Anyways based off of pure memory through 10 games and 11 weeks I would say I did pretty good, wouldn't you?

late again likes this.
  12. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I can't remember that play man, but your account sounds accurate. It's important to understand that sometimes even the Best Tackles get beat out there. Rookies get beat more than veterans so its understandable for Long to have more than his fair share of mistakes.

I just wish I could see a clip of that, I love Jake and all but its awesome seeing a 6-7 310 pound man get thrown to the ground.

13. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    No question..you did great, brother. I just needed clarification concerning your comments regarding Long.
    Yeah, I was aware that a good portion of running plays are to the right. However, I've always believed that it was out of necessity more than anything else.
    Because of the skill set required to play LT, many of them are converted TEs. So if you can get a 300 lb man with agility and foot quickness who can also block for the QB then you're willing to give up some run blocking in order to keep the QB healthy. Thus more runs to the right side.....
    ...just my own thoughts on it.
    Anyway, thanks again for your assessments.

14. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany

i was tempted to stop reading right there

15. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    But did you read his explanation?

alen1 likes this.