1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revisiting Dolphins' Brandon Marshall Trade, ESPN's Opinion

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, May 22, 2014.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Revisiting Dolphins' Brandon Marshall Trade, ESPN James Walker http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/7566/revisiting-dolphins-brandon-marshall-trade
    The only reason I am posting this on the main Forum is that this was the start of the attempt to purge vets who might be a threat to the new regime. We traded a Pro Bowl caliber player in his prime, who two years later is still putting up franchise #1 Wide Receiver numbers. Meanwhile we are wishing we had someone better than what is currently on the Dolphin's roster and a tall red zone target. I can't help but wonder how Marshall may have helped Tanny in his development.

2. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Since basically being kicked out of Miami he has played in 16 games each year, 2800 yards, scored 23 TDs and averaged 87 yards per game. This has to rank as one of the worst trades in Dolphin's history.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I hated the trade then, hate it now and will always hate it......

that being said it is done and the GM who was responsible is gone and so it is over in my eyes....

Sceeto, Paul 13, Boik14 and 2 others like this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Even though it was a bad trade for the Dolphins, it was a much needed change of scenery for Marshall.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Guy is mentally ill. Coaches in Miami had problems dealing with him. Obviously you don't want to lose a talented player, but at the same time there are other considerations.

Mile High Fin, Da 'Fins, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I have less of a problem with the trade than I do with what we did with the draft picks we received from Chicago.

MAFishFan, Da 'Fins and Bpk like this.
  7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Cant see how he would have helped a young qb develop. He wasnt much help to henne. When he was here all he did was drop tds. For all his numbers, Chicago's been about as successful as we have. chicagos done nothing but disappoint since he got there. what's the point of flashy numbers when they don't translate to wins?

dolphindebby, vizi0n, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  8. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Just because he put up those numbers with Chicago doesn't mean he would have done the same here. Everyone also seems to forget that he had that domestic violence issue or bar fight issue (I can't even remember) hanging over his head at the time.

I'm in agreement with the misuse of the draft picks and moving on.

MAFishFan, Mile High Fin, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  9. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Marshall didn't get traded from Miami because of his talent. He got traded away because he was a headcase. Trading FOR him was bad. Trading him AWAY was good.

The guy slammed Vontae Davis in the face with a football because he showed up to practice hungover. He infamously tossed temper tantrums in meetings. That's not exactly how you inspire your teammates. That's how you lose their respect. It's not always about yards and TDs, for f***s sake.

10. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    I liked Brandon and think he would have done great with Tannehill and would take him over Wallace any day of the week. Was never crazy about trade, but truly, if we had drafted better with those two picks this is a whole different conversation. Frankly 2013 draft was just horrible...

MAFishFan likes this.
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    I remember when this first happened I was sure it meant Peyton Manning must be coming to town - free up cap room and make room for Reggie Wayne. Not so much....

We should have kept him. Yes, he has had some mental health issues but has owned up to them (unlike alot of players who wouldn't dare admit something like this, and just keep up the poor behavior). He seems like an overall decent person and teammate after dealing with his mental health issues. I forget the story that broke once he went to Chicago, but at the time it made it seem like we made the right decision, in retrospect, always 20/20, not so much.

12. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I never heard about that, do you have a link?

13. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I remember the day that trade happend. I couldnt log into this forum for hours after the trade because of the site traffic lol, everyone was freakin'

finyank13 and Bpk like this.
  14. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I don't know if he still is now, but he was also running the risk while he was here of being suspended for a year due to previous issues. Could you imagine him this past season with Bullygate? I don't see him making that situation any better either. Just a bit of fun....but only 4 of the top 10 WR's made the playoffs this past season. Only 1 past the wild card round. Just sayin'

What we did with those picks though. Abysmal. If Davis doesn't step up we end up with less then the Welker deal. We at least got some starting playing time out of Satele. We've gotten nothing out of these picks so far.

15. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    There is no one to blame for Marshall not still being here, but Marshall himself.

Let's not forget that he was also a problem in Denver and that they were happy to trade him away. While here, he couldn't stay out of trouble off the field and did stupid s**t on it like throwing footballs at guys on the sidelines during a game, or subverting the coaches and telling Henne and Thigpen what he wanted to do. He later claimed that he had a personality disorder and used that in place of ever accepting responsibility for any of his actions.

He'd still be here if he could have matured and acted like a grown up, stayed out of bar fights and other altercations, stayed out of domestic abuse situations, paid his taxi fares, and then later not have tried to tell Philbin and Sherman what he would and wouldn't do.

If Chicago has him in treatment and have the staff and supporting cast (including Cutler) to pacify him and protect him from himself and keep him being productive, then good for them. They were 8-8 last season same as us...

EverFin, Bpk, Unlucky 13 and 2 others like this.
  16. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's tough to remember something when it's made up. This is not why Denver traded Marshall. They traded him because Josh McDaniels couldn't get along with anyone.

finyank13, Sceeto and ToddPhin like this.
  17. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Oh really? While I agree on McDaniels, it's Marshall who couldn't stay out of trouble...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/336884-why-the-denver-broncos-will-trade-brandon-marshall
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-Dolphins-Chicago-Bears-agree-to-trade-031312
    http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...shall-to-dolphins/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

gunn34, RGF, DOLPHAN1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    He didn't fit here. Sometimes you have to give up on a very talented and productive player because the entire team wins games, not one player, and every player has to fit. He happens to fit in Chicago. Why he fits there and didn't fit here is the real story.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Jay Cutler. At this point, Marshall has only consistently played lights out with one QB, Cutler. We can all divine what that means for ourselves I suppose.

20. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Let's not forget that Philbin likes to spread the ball around and Marshall is notorious for complaining when he doesn't get enough passes.

Bpk likes this.
  21. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    @AbramsonPBP 51m
    RT @NFL_ATL Brandon Marshall says his trade from Dolphins to Bears was "career-saving."

Larry Little likes this.
  22. Killer Carlson

Killer Carlson New Member

May 21, 2014
    Just bad talent evaluation by the front office. They thought his attitude wasn't worth keeping him around and that they could easily replace him. So what do they do, they trade him for very little and hand out a ton of cash to Mike Wallace, a player not nearly as good as Marshall. The worst part about it is Wallace has Marshall's shortcomings, he might even be more of a pain in the ***.

Then they basically do it with Dansby. Dansby goes on to have a Pro Bowl season and the Dolphins have the worst inside lb play in the whole league. That really stings when you're that close to being a playoff team.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Wait, that doesn't sound too bad.

cdz12250, Bpk and gunn34 like this.
  24. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Killer Bees, cuchulainn and vizi0n like this.
  25. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Slamming someone in the face with a football doesn't sound like an over-the-top reaction to you? Were you toilet trained at gunpoint? :lol:

26. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Cutler is better than Henne. He's played lights out with Mccown too, no? Week 9 - 14 he had 4 100 yard games out of 6, and 4 TDs.

Let's not forget he had a 1,200 yard season, with 6 TDs 5 of them coming after Matt Moore filled in for Henne. His production problem here was the fact his QB was Chad Henne.

gunn34 likes this.
  27. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Just a slight overreaction.

I get the headcase thing. I was one who was against the trade for Marshall in the first place. I wanted to see us make a move for Vincent Jackson instead. Never liked Marshall's ypc. But pair him up with an Alshon and you're set at WR for years.

But I was against trading him way with no clear substitute, even a half assed substitute. We trade him away but option Pouncey so there is no moral high ground here.

28. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I feel Dansby is due for a down season. You saw it when Miami signed him in 2010, he never lived up to the hype nor his contract. There's a reason why he only got one year deals from Arizona, he wants the money and it was the only way the Cardinals could keep him motivated. He'll be turning 34 next season, and with a cool 10 million in his pocket he's going to disappoint.

I can't help but think with a stronger front office (GM and Head Coach), Miami would be better team with Jake Long, Brandon Marshall, and Karlos Dansby on the roster.

29. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Straight out of Marshall.

30. Killer Carlson

May 21, 2014
    I thought Dansby was a pretty good player for the fins and never viewed it as a bad signing. Wheeler and Ellerbe on the other hand stink. I remember reading the Ravens organization laughed when they saw the contract we gave to Ellerbe.

31. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Surroundings matter. Just because he has performed there doesn't mean he would have here for a variety of reasons. True for lots of players.

32. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Remember how some of us were labeled as "Negative Nancy's" when we proclaimed Jeff Ireland would produce nothing of value with those picks? As Finyank already said, hated it then, hate it now. As I've said, Jeff Ireland is one of, if not the worst things that's every happened to this franchise. Thank the football gods he's gone. But the ramifications of his actions will live on for years.

Sceeto and Fin-Omenal like this.
  33. Killer Carlson

May 21, 2014
    I don't think he ever performed nearly as poorly as what we got from our lbs last year. I think it's hard to believe he wouldn't have been a significant upgrade.

34. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Welcome the the forum, but this is the Brandon Marshall thread. Not sure he would make a great LB.

35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would be interested in certain stats as it relates to your theory..

How much has cutler, in Denver and in Chicago, isolated Marshall relative to his other targets, and relative to other qbs and their targets.

I think he's an overrated player and I would think that those stats would show that if any good receiver got that many targets that their personal stats would get escalated to the point where the line between good and great could become gray.

The other stat I would like to see if it's out there is double teams, because I don't believe Marshall is doubled that often, he's such a facing the Los type receiver it just may effect his overall impact on winning the game, and I don't believe he has the speed or quicks to require a double team, I think he's great a fighting for his personal space in route and is very physical against press but I don't believe that style requires a double team, and if it doesn't require a double team, and it's gets paid that much money, I call it overrated.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Because his targets probably went up, thus resulting in better stats, and more feelings of self worth, so the excuses sound right in line with the physiological profile.

cuchulainn likes this.
  37. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I would say it was more Philbin who was responsible for Marshall leaving. After he told Philbin and Sherman what he would and wouldn't do, he saw the door close. I'm starting not to like Philbin now, but this was the right call by him then. As the HC, you can't have palyers dictate what they will and will not do.

Bpk likes this.
  38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would agree in Dansby but not with Marshall.

I don't think he's worth giving that much cap space to.

39. Killer Carlson

May 21, 2014
    Thought you were commenting on Dansby, my mistake. Why wouldn't Marshall have performed well given the current surroundings? He's been a monster over the last 7 years with several different qbs throwing the ball his way.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What about his ypc didn't you like JD?