1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rex on the way out. Geno Smith to start.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/26/jets-name-geno-smith-starting-quarterback/

I've read multiple places that the team is out of Rex's hands now, and he's been directed to play younger players the rest of the way for future evaluation. Their result against the Bills certainly showed that they aren't playing very hard for him. This could be a very good thing for us as we play them twice the last five weeks. A blowout on MNF would make me feel a lot better for sure.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Geno Smith eliminated our playoff chances before.

Ronnie Bass, GARDENHEAD and ASOT like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Jets will be a dangerous team, let there be no doubts. No playoff chances, nothing to lose and a heated rival, Miami will get every trick in the book. Fake punts, fake field goals, trick plays, etc. Miami should win, but nothing is guaranteed. Who would have thought Raiders would beat the Chiefs? Rams would beat Broncos? I could go on. Am I the only one nervous about this Monday night game?

77FinFan likes this.
  4. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Very good for us, IMO. Younger players won't have the same feel for the rivalry and likely are in no danger of losing their jobs as of now..and now that Rex is already on his way out, they'll basically have nothing to play for.

5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm not nervous. I probably should be, but I'm not.

This clearly wasn't Rex's decision, and from everything I've read/heard Geno's teammates are done with him. Aside from all that, the Dolphins are superior in every aspect.

dolphindebby, muscle979 and gunn34 like this.
  6. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I feel the same way. Maybe I`m delusional but normally this game would scare me but it doesnt.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Less nervous than at any time in the season. Our offense is averaging almost 26 points a game. Their offense and defense both suck. As said, they're now starting a QB who is a turnover machine and who's teammates don't like. I think that we bounce back in a big way this week. We have to, and everyone knows it, and I think they'll be ready. If nothing else, Philbin has shown that the Fins beat the teams that they should.

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    We will beat them on Monday Night, it is the Jest so weird things happen but I actually think our offense is going to light up the Jest defense. If we lose one of the two games to the Jest down the stretch and miss the playoffs Philbin should be on a very, very hot seat. Its a gift that we have them twice late like this, we have to take advantage.

9. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    This is true, at least it better be. Maybe the reason I`m not panicking about this game is because currently my mind cant even remotely fathom the thought of us losing to this Jets team. Realistically I should know better but to keep my sanity in check I`m not even going to entertain thoughts of us actually losing.

10. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Very, very hot seat ??? If we lose any of our two games to the Jets Philbin should be walking , not sitting.

gunn34, ASOT and Unlucky 13 like this.
  11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, lose either of these, or the Minnesota game, and I think that he's fired.

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Eh.. I dont have a great feeling about this game. A... Mop lso this smells like a game where Geno will be wanting to make a come back statement. I think it's crucial we start fast on both offense and defense.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It was the win over the Dolphins last year which probably saved Ryan's job. While I certainly don't expect him to keep the Jets head coaching job after this season, the Jets can play their last five games with nothing to really lose.

There will be no pressure on the Jets to win the two games against the Dolphins which remain. All the pressure will be on the Dolphins because they can't afford to lose either game if they expect to have a shot at the playoffs. The Dolphins are certainly the better team talent wise and should win both their remaining games against the Jets.

Of course they were also the better team last year and yet they somehow allowed the Jets to come down to Miami and beat them in a must win game for the Dolphins. When these two teams get together, records mean nothing and I am sure the players and coaches of the Jets would love nothing more than to be the team which knocks the Dolphins out of the playoffs once again this season.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Pretty much agree but with the caveat that if we beat the Patriots and Ravens the last Jet game shouldnt matter.

15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I am the opposite. I am worried we blow them out like 45-3 monday....which in turn....breeds a monster for the last game of the year. We'll see.

xphinfanx likes this.
  16. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wouldn't that be awsome.. Be able to rest some guys.

17. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    We swept Rex in his first season as HC. We will sweep him in his last. Forced into playing the younger guys is good for us, but also good for their team going forward. It is the smart play. What is another couple of embarrassing games to them at this point?

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    In other good news, maybe we'll be able to sign Rex as our DC...

gunn34 and CaribPhin like this.
  19. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    geno owns the phins lol

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    We'll be looking at a desperate NFL team full of young players fighting for jobs seeking to make a name for themselves.

Rex certainly won't be pulling any punches.

Watch out.

Hopefully we can come out angry looking for a Green punching bag to take out our collective frustration on.

BTW, has anyone seen Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon, Earl Mitchell, or Randy Starks? They've been missing for over two weeks now and I'm really starting to worry.

Where is Dongzilla?

DOLPHAN1 and SICK like this.
  21. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Lol damn right he does. The Jets ought to make him their starter for the next ten years.

22. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Not at all, I too am prepared for the usual, customary game we lose we should win.

23. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Really ? Then last year's last game, against these same Jets was just a dream ?!? Then wake me because it's really a nightmare.

RGF likes this.
  24. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Ancient history.

25. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Can't see that happening. Coyle, as much as I really don't care for him that much, has coordinated a top defense, at least statistically. Can't see him going unless Philbin goes out the door with him, at which point I think Rex might deserve a lot of consideration for the top spot instead of the DC position.

ExplosionsInDaSky likes this.
  26. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    They aren't the same Jets and we aren't the same Dolphins.

27. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Time will tell.

28. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Rex Ryan for DC

29. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Barring an absolute meltdown by Tannehill, there is no way Miami is losing to the Jets at all this season.

30. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    There is no question about it this year, that we are the better team. Thing is (and we all know this), you have to throw records out the window when division rivals play each other. I don't see this being a cakewalk for us, we have to play mistake free football and Tannehill needs to keep that rating up.
    The defense needs to stop the run, and we need to make Geno Smith throw like 50 times. If they can run the ball on us, we are in for a dogfight with them along with a potential season ending loss. Their players are playing for jobs at this point, so I doubt they just lay down. We are the better team though, and Dolphins should win this game.

31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    This should be a big break for the Dolphins. Michael Vick could beat us if we showed up flat or unprepared. I don't think Geno Smith can.

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He's 1-1 and his defense beat us the second time. There are probably posters on this message board with more arm talent than Geno.

33. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Not Hardly!!

34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that the team, collectively, screwed up and gave the season away in week 17 last year will only serve as motivation to prevent that from happening again this year. If not, these guys have zero pride.

35. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The big reason we lost in Week 17 was that the players knew that they were playing for Rex's job. They were motivated.

This year, they know he's toast.

36. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Shouldn't we have been motivated for that game...you know... getting into the playoffs and all. These games vs the Jets always worry me. All the other stats and stuff are there to give us some comfort that the game will be easier. I hope we roll them and dominate. I am certainly not confident about it.

37. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    12 weeks have already told plenty.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  38. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I find the divisional games are tough thing to be complete bs. It seems that way because most NFL teams have talent and most games are close. When you isolate good teams in a division against bad teams the better team still wins a large majority of the time.

39. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    The Jets have poured far more resources into their D with little show for it. Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson, Milliner, etc. yet Coyle's D continues to out perform Ryan's. I don't what Rex would add, other than more exciting pressers.

40. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    People are still very bitter about the end of last season. I wonder if Pats fans are worried losing to Geno, seeing as how he "beat" them last year too.