1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rex Ryan Leads SI Player Poll

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by BicketyBam, Nov 23, 2010.

1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Saw this posted somewhere else and found it interesting. I wish they released all of the results.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010
    Free agents should line up to play for Jets
    By Tim Graham
    ESPN.com

As an organizational philosophy, the New York Jets rely on acquiring established veterans every year.

A player poll conducted by Sports Illustrated suggests they'll have an easier time landing free agents than other clubs.

Sports Illustrated asked "For which other coach would you like to play?" Of the 279 NFL
    players who responded, a whopping 21 percent of them said Rex Ryan.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was a distant second at 12 percent. New Orleans
    Saints coach Sean Payton was at 9 percent, Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher at 8 percent and New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick at 7 percent.

Ryan's charisma stands out even more when you consider he's in only his second season and was the only coach among the top seven who has never taken his team to the Super Bowl.
    To have that kind of allure around the league is significant for the Jets. Ryan's
    magnetism will make it tougher for opponents to convince free agents to sign with them
    instead of the Jets.

Sports Illustrated didn’t provide results for the entire poll so we could see how Miami
    Dolphins coach Tony Sparano or Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey rated.

The poll will appear in the issue that hits newsstands Wednesday.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i played ball all the way up through college, id love to play for a coach like rex. i just hate him cause hes the jets coach. wish we hired him....

3. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of how he makes other teams/fans hate the team so much. I know it comes with his coaching style, but I wish he would dial it back a hair. Also, he really needs to get better at game day coaching. He is lost sometimes. But all in all, and this isn't saying much, he is the best coach the Jets have had since Bill Parcells.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    who cares about other teams hating you? id relish it. he expects you to be the best, he announces it loud and clear. as a PLAYER id love that.

5. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Players like Fat Rex because he clearly believes in them. He's a horse's *** when you're on the other side but his guys clearly feed off of his personality and swagger. For whatever reason Miami under Sparano has not become a team that truly expects to win. That's obvious with the million opportunities that they've left on the field this season. I hope that changes. I hope Henne gets healthy soon and that benching was a wake up call for him. Even if the coaches don't realize it I hope he says to hell with it and goes out there to make plays, not game manage.

DarkLadyJets likes this.
  6. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    As a fan, it bothers me because you can't win every year and when the Jets don't, I am going to get my balls buster unmercifully :lol:

I guess the only negative from the team's standpoint is giving opponents extra motivation. But in all honesty, they shouldn't need it. So I hear you.

7. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I'd appreciate it if you addressed him as "Still Fat, but Not as Fat as Last Year" Rex. Have some respect ;)

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i need to go shower with a brilo pad and bleech, because i just defended rex ryan to a jet fan. wtf is happening here?!

9. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He's made some rookie coaching mistakes. Like in that MNF game last year when he didn't use his timeouts b/c he was certain the Fins wouldn't get into the endzone. He could dial back his rhetoric a little. The most important thing for him though is his players having the swagger that he has. I haven't watched any of his pressers in a while but I think maybe he's toned down the post loss whining a little bit. That's his biggest fault in my mind. He got swept and wanted to make excuses. It was childish.

10. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    This can go away if the Dolphins could find some mojo this season. There is still some hope.

11. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    He's made a bunch of clock management mistakes this year too. He's still learning.

He hasn't whinned at all this year, but granted they have only lost twice. And while he believes in the team and the players appreciate that, contrary to popular belief they haven't been shooting their mouths off. Sanchez has been particularly hard on himself.

His bravado wouldn't have been so bad had it not been on Hard Knocks for the entire world to see. And the funny thing is that I never watched it - just a few clips on You Tube.

12. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'll start calling him Portly Rex.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Has the coach to win this distinction ever won a SB?

14. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    No clue, but #2, #3, and #5 on the list have. It certainly can't hurt to have players want to play for your coach, can it?

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jeff Fisher went to the SB too, just didn't win it.