1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RG3 is starting to grow on me

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by finsbuck719, Feb 24, 2012.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Now that we have the 8th pick, it would be a little easier to move up to #2. I never really liked his style of play before, but I've been watching more tape of him and I'm in love with his deep ball I like his toughness and effort. However, the only way I'd want him on the Fins, is if Peyton Manning were here and were able to groom him. Now, if I was the GM of the Dolphins I would do all I can to make this work this off season:

-Sign PeyPey to a 3 year, incentive based deal. Do whatever it takes almost to get him here. Even if he comes here and lays an egg because of his injuries, he still would have the ability to groom RG3.
    -Trade #8, #42, #73 and 2013 1st round pick to the Rams for the #2 pick and take RG3
    -Draft offensive linemen with the rest of our draft picks
    -Move Sean Smith to FS and hope that fixes our safety problem (I wouldn't mind trusting Jimmy Wilson as our #2. Especially after Smith's season last year)
    -Sign Jeremy Mincey

If Peyton plays like his old self, we instantly have a SuperBowl caliber roster. We will still have holes on the right side of our line, but I want to see what Lydon Murtha can do. I feel like we have the cap to sign both Peyton and Mincey because Peyton may come cheap with an incentive based/backloaded deal but if we ned to, I wouldn't mind cutting Bell/Cook to free up some space.

As for that draft day trade, I feel like it may be giving up a lot for a single player and if you brought this trade up to me a week ago I would laugh...but, this draft is not impressing me. The only 3 players I am interested in that may be available in the 2nd are Curry, Minnifield, and Fleener and I'm convinced that by the time the draft rolls around all 3 of those guys will be projected to go in the first. The 3rd round just looks like a joke to me. I like some of the 4-3 OLBs, but that's not a huge need right now. This draft sucks after the first round imo, so I'd be willing to give up our first 3 picks to take a chance at a QB with a lot of potential (especially if he sits behind Manning for a few years).

After watching RG3's deep ball and watching Marshall in the pro bowl, I kinda got excited about the idea of sending Marshall on 9 routes with RG3 delivering them. Plus, I'd like to get a QB that would help make Clyde Gates effective.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Matt Barkley staying at USC cost us a much better shot of getting a 1st RD QB. RG3 falls to #8 somehow? Ok, but multiple picks for him?? Na, I dont think he is that special...but hell who knows.

3. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I agree. Apparently, Ireland was one of a few GMs that believed Barkley was just as good if not better than Andrew Luck. I actually agree with him on that stance too. Barkley would have been the perfect fit here with Philban...

And we really don't have a shot at RgGIII, both the Browns and Redskins have more value in terms of draft picks to offer, and both prefer mobile, accurate QBs. Ireland is too smart of a man to trade everything we have for RG III. It would literally take our 1st, 2nd, 4th this year and next years 1st, if not more.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love the kids game, and ive been about having a plan to get him.... Mike Lombardi is high on RG, says that Bill Walsh would love the kid, the feet the athleticism is important in the system, the intellectual capacity to understand the system, the elite athleticism to execute the positions responsibilities to the 10 th degree, the extra athleticism to make plays when there is none, the arm to threaten every inch of the field, the innate accuracy that everyone covets, combine that with a swagger that is contagious, its all there man, the complete package...Kid is worth the risk..

PhinPhanatic likes this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well after today, my heart will be broken again.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I always liked RG3 as a prospect. What he did today at the combine was outstanding.

7. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nothing he did today makes me covet him more. I always liked him. You knew he was going to put on a show from an athletic standpoint. I think he's the 2nd best player in the draft behind Luck. If Miami made a significant move to get up there and get him, then great. However, him showing he's an athletic freak isn't surprising at all. It's really the least bits of his game that excite me about his abilities as a QB.

8. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Still wouldn't trade the house for him.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My only qualm with Griffin was reiterated by Kurt Warner today during the Combine. Warner said he really liked what RGIII brings to the table. He said he feels better about him coming out in the Draft this year than he did feeling about Cam Newton last year. He (and I) was concerned that RGIII hasn't had to make reads like a QB in an NFL offense, though Baylor's system was more complex than most think according to Warner. He also said that RGIII hasn't really shown the capability to hit receivers in tight coverage the way QBs in the NFL are required to. That's my main concern about him Griffin. I certainly think he'd do some damage in Philbin's system and I like him better than Colin Kaepernick (who in my opinion was the QB most akin to RGIII in last year's draft, not Cam Newton), last year. That said, if Miami's going to make a dramatic move up, I'd prefer it be for Andrew Luck instead.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I can see that concern..but lets put it this way, there are many QB's coming out that we could say that about, that didn't have the accuracy that RG had in college, yet were successful and drafted very high..