1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richard Branson on Failure in Business

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by padre31, Jul 8, 2011.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [video=youtube;S_3Dj5GZJNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Dj5GZJNc&feature=related[/video]

Really like Richard Branson's approach to business and the market place, and Maynard mentioning that business seems not for him thought a video from a present success who failed several times before reaching their achievements, and the mindset required to bounce back from a downturn would be instructive.

Failure is never comfortable, however the critical approach is to be daring enough to risk failure to reach the joy of achieving ones goals.

Pandarilla and alen1 like this.
  2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Interesting post Padre, consider this on a global scale. Prominent economist W. W. Rostow created a model for underdeveloped countries to achieve success through hard work and perseverance called "developmentalism". His theory was unilaterally shot down by most social scientists and geographers. This is straight from my textbook "Human Geography"...
    "Furthermore, Rostow's model perpetuates the myth of "developmentalism," the idea that every country and region will eventually make economic progress toward "high mass consumption" provided that they compete to the best of their ability within the world economy. The main weakness of developmentalism is that it is simply not reasonable to compare the prospects of late starters to the experiences of those places, regions, and countries that were among the early starters. For these early starters the horizons were clear: free of effective competition, free of obstacles, and free of precedents. For the late starters the situation is entirely different. Today's less developed regions must compete in a crowded field while facing numerous barriers that are a direct consequence of the success of the early starters.
    Indeed, many writers and theorists of international development claim that the prosperity of the core countries in the world economy has been based on the underdevelopment and squalor of peripheral countries. Peripheral countries, it is argued, could not "follow" the previous historical experience of developed countries in stages-of-development fashion because their underdevelopment (that is, exploitation) was a structural requirement for development elsewhere. The development of Europe and North America, in other words, required the systematic underdevelopment of peripheral countries"

or put more clearly by Andre' Gunder Frank: Development somewhere requires underdevelopment somewhere else.

Now to pull it back into the scope of Richard Branson. Per Wikipedia: "Branson started business after he travelled across the English Channel and purchased crates of "cut-out" records from a record discounter.[citation needed] He sold the records out of the boot of his car to retail outlets in London. He continued selling cut-outs through a record mail order business in 1970. Trading under the name "Virgin", he sold records for considerably less than the "High Street" outlets, especially the chain W. H. Smith. The name "Virgin" was suggested by one of Branson's early employees because they were all new at business.[10] At the time, many products were sold under restrictive marketing agreements that limited discounting, despite efforts in the 1950s and 1960s to limit so-called resale price maintenance.[11] In effect, Branson began the series of changes that led to large-scale discounting of recorded music."

I think hard work and determination can never be understated, but it seems clear that one needs an exploitable angle and an early start (two things Branson had going for him) in order to realistically achieve success. Like Branson said in the video, 80% of small businesses will fail.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Utterly disagree with that notion Padnarilla, with either premise, A) that it is any external forces duty to develop another countries internal economies B) that such development is counter productive to the existing systems of commerce.

Do believe literacy and proper morality are cornerstones of any form of non resource based economic growth as it provides pillars of commerce that do not require State intervention to litigate disputes between parties that naturally arise and also provide a long range economic view which is also critical to economic growth which is where 3rd and 4th world countries lag.

I also believe Banksters are terrified that more smaller, developing countries will "go Iceland" and simply tell them they simply will not use National Sovereignty to insure their profitability the notion of "a debt is always paid if not by the borrower, then by the lender" is sure to send howls of consternation in the granite lined halls of financial houses.

Pandarilla likes this.
  4. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Okay, how on Earth did you gather those premises from what I wrote? I was trying to raise the point that Branson was a pioneer in selling cut-outs; i.e. he had an early start (no competition) in an industry that allowed him to buy merchandise extremely cheap (exploitable angle). I mirrored his personal experience with that of peripheral countries trying to duplicate what core countries have already been through. The reality being that no matter how hard they work, the idea of catching up isn't so easy or simple. I think they're important points to consider is all...

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because what I took away from what one wrote a different intention then what had hoped I would focus upon?

Branson himself is not really that large of a figure in my point pandarilla.

6. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Are you Greek, Padre?:chuckle: